Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're absolutely correct, but what people are complaining about (myself included to a degree) is the fact that we're running out of time to get proper resolution of these points. We're desperately hoping things aren't rushed because that would bring the overall impact of those resolutions, and perhaps the legacy of the show, down to a mediocre level - something that is pretty much unacceptable at this point.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was on the bus with Tamoh, shooting another show. ;)

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. If this was the 4th season and they were planning a 5th season then I wouldn't care about filler as much, however we are getting to the end, not the beginning of the end, but the end of the end of the end! Move to the point!

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Average.

I loved the opening reveille/"going through the motions" scene, also the scenes with Starbuck and her father at the piano, nearly cheered at the reveal of All Along The Watchtower. Outside Starbuck's thread the episode largely fell flat, although I was moved for Athena as she was forced to watch Helo with Boomer.

For my own edification, my S4.5 ratings to date:

Sometimes a Great Notion - Above Average
    A Disquiet Follows My Soul - Above Average
    The Oath - Excellent
    Blood on the Scales - Above Average
    No Exit - Average
    Deadlock - Below Average
    Someone to Watch Over Me - Average

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I've rated them all as at least "above average" - which begs the question of how "average" is defined, I know - except for this one and the one where Anders does the expository dump.

6. Paul

Paul Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I see some people find this episode redundant or too much filler, what with there being only four hours left in the series. I personally believe that all this is building towards a natural and logical conclusion in the series finale. Only it's not as neat, proper or tied-up a conclusion as we'd hope or expect. Some questions will be left unanswered and not everyone will get a happy ending. Maybe we can reevaluate this ep when it's all over.

7. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a funny feeling that we are never really going to find out what Kara actually is.

8. Leroy

Leroy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Average, aside from the ending this episode and the one before seem like such a waste, I had hoped we'd be getting edge of your seat stuff like the mutiny arc not filler.

9. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

For my part I know I tend to work off a bell curve that's internal to the series, and my ratings correspond closer to a traditional five star system with four stars being excellent and five being phenomenal than the system here. The average BSG episode is obviously strong enough that I'm willing to tune in from week to week, so I don't consider that rating to be a mark of shame.

10. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

You're also simultaneously arguing in favour of rushing things by saying a character rich steady paced episode like this cannot happen right now.

Wait till it's all done then judge.

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I dont see the big deal in revealing what Kara is then using it to help further the show. I will be very upset if this show ends and we never find out what kara is.

12. silk

silk Cadet Newbie

It's not bewildering, Moore has repeatedly lied all the time. Which is fine, he's a salesman and writer (paid liar) which has kept you hooked all this time. He's said all sorts of things, including that there were enough episodes for 7 seasons. It's all true depending on how you look at it, but also all completely false.

13. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am going to wait until it's all done, and I'm not necessarily complaining. Aside from the fact that there have been 4 seasons for character development, an extra one hour episode at this point is an extra hour for storyline and plot resolution. That extra hour would allow for much more intricate revelations to be spread out better among the remaining episodes.

But hey, I have faith in RDM's crew to deliver. :)

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This episode did allow for more intricate revelations regarding Kara, Boomer, Hera, and Roslin in the next episodes. ;)

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually he said 5 seasons, maybe 6. It's clear Sci-fi didn't want a fifth season and Moore closed the show up. It's also clear, and he will admit, that as the show moved on more and more they were pulling it out of their asses more and more.

16. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A part of me enjoyed the leisurely pace of the Starbuck plot and a part of me was reminded of those Dragon Ball Z filler episodes where one guy just spends twenty minutes hovering in mid-air and grunting while everyone else stares at him in awe and makes comments about how cool he is.

The lack of plot in this episode is somewhat striking, though the plot that is there is certainly interesting. It's fairly obvious that they're ignoring story efficiency in favor of emotional poigniancy.

17. Scribe34

Scribe34 Commander Red Shirt

Hey, is it my imagination or did the first few bars of the song being played by the Piano guy, before they actually get to the song later, sound like the opening of the original series' theme? The one Starbuck accuses the guy of ripping of?

18. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have a cap of Hera's 'stars', but I did get one that I think shows the name of the opera house we've been seeing.

[​IMG]

---------------

19. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

You are correct.

20. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted above average. It was average (maybe slightly below average) until the last act, but had a very strong finish.

The producers sure like the number 13. Both drawings that Hera made had 13 dots on them, she was even shown counting them.