Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

It was okay, but seemed like a filler episode. The whole Starbuck/Daddy/Piano thing was stupid. It didnt bring us any answers on who she is so what was the point. The only good part was when Chief found out he got "got" by Boomer at the end and when she jumped away.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm actually surprised that this episode is doing so well and getting the praise that it is. A lot of episodes like this one have been ripped to shreds or called "boring" and I was expecting the same or worse to happen here.

No. I don't mind epiosdes being slow and subtle, but this one felt like it was bordering on weak and uneventful a lot of the time. It had some good stuff, but overalll, I think it could have been better.

3. Darth_Pinche

Darth_Pinche Captain Captain

Yes, I heard that two. For me, that was the confirmation that he was a projection and Cylon related. A subtle nod to the original show fans.

The episode was excellent. Things will pick up, but I'm not expecting to get all the answers as the show ends. The slow decay of life and the Galactica itself was fantastic and necessary for any ending to have punch. Chief is so screwed.

I wonder what Athena will do now that Hera is gone. The 8's all seem shifty, Hera was the one thing keeping Athena stable and on our side I think. She disregarded all rules in order to retrieve Hera before, she may jeopardize everyone now.

4. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decent enough episode alot better than last weeks snoozefest anyway. The episode still didn't give us any definitive answers about Kara though although I say that the piano player was her dad from nearly the off and that noone else could see him, but is he one of those head people like headsix?
    And another thing why does Roslin seem to be connected to the ship as when it lost power in that nebula she nearly fainted and in this episode when the ship starts to fall apart she collapses?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I'm saying. "Well the episode was rather boring and we didn't find anythnig out, so above average! What the fuck is up with that? I think BSG fans are getting as bad as Voyager fans....

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Hey, I gave it an Above Average for perfectly good reasons. :) I liked this episode. It wasn't in-your-face or full of revelations, but it built itself up very nicely and definitively tied the Five, Hera, and Kara together. It might seem like a minor thing but I found it very well done.

I don't expect every episode to be "The Oath" or "No Exit." There are other places to go besides rip-roaring action and barrages of revelations. I actually quite enjoyed the musical focus, and appreciate how that storyline evolved.

7. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They wasted more Centurion potential. Again. They could have had a whole scene with the Centurions discussing the Boomers impending execution amongst themselves and deciding that it is proof that creating the skinjobs was a terrible mistake. And then they could have one Centurion inform the flesh models of this, suggesting that it would be a bad idea to disappoint people with guns for arms, leading to a reprieve for Boomer and a heightening of tension between the flesh Cylons and the Centurions.

I wasn't expecting something like that. But I was hoping.

The relationship development between Boomer and Tyrol was good, but just having her escape with Hera seems like a cop-out that glosses over many real issues.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: After what he's said about the show, do you seriously think they'd let him on the set? He's probably persona non grata there.

9. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

The thing I don't understand is this:

2 weeks ago the final five were all up in injured Anders grill with questions and we got extended scenes full of exposition.

Last week we got an episode where Ellen, who has her complete memories intact and knows exactly everything that they all want to know - just got pissy about a love triangle.

This week, we still have no scenes with Ellen telling the 5 what is up!

Of course you know she would be telling them everything, as quickly as possible. Why is this not happening? Is it because if the writers do this, then Anders being in a coma is now pointless and moot?

Also Tyrol found out that he and Tory lived together on Earth as a couple. On any other show that would lead to at least one scene of "hmmm, I wonder if this is who I am supposed to be with"...but not on this show for some reason. Maybe because they needed Boomer to trick him to get Hera, but they still could have had the Chief questioning whether or not he is supposed to be with Tory.

There are many plotholes, or not plotholes but just unbelievable actions and characters not acting in a logical way at this point.

10. Agent Richard07

Anything is possible. I never got the sense that he's totally and absolutely unwelcome to make a guest appearance, nor have I ever gotten the feeling that he'd never ever do it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You've never read "lost in castration", have you?

I do remember reading that Katee Sackhoff hates him so much that she'd walk if he ever showed up on the set.

So not only would he never be *allowed* to appear, he wouldn't want to anyway.

12. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

It probably happened offscreen. The audience already learned what we needed to from Ellen when she was on the baseship. No point wasting screentime telling us things we already know just for the benefit of other characters.

13. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

Dead on arrival. I've seen better galactica 1980 eps.

14. Agent Richard07

I've read it. I also read that he was still open to the idea of making an appearance if the circumstances were right (money/good part).

I heard that too, and it's a good argument for suggesting that he'd never get an offer to appear. I'm still holding out hope though. Anything could have changed or calmed down enough to make an appearance possible.

15. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, I guess the money from advertising off the streams is not enough. Should of torrented....

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT - I guess RDM missed the class on proper story pacing back when he was an aspiring writer. Yes, things were reveled and the last few minutes were better than the rest but ANOTHER - Starbuck: "I'm so lost and don't know what my 'speschul destiny' in life is..." episode.

Also, a big :wtf: to now seeing a Cylon on the new Council (or whatever they're calling it - Hell, see the people of the fleet coming to grips with THAT announcement from Roslin or Adama probably could have been an episode in itself). Also, we suddenly go from the Cyons and 3 of the 'Final Five' voting to 'bug out' and leave the Humans in the fleet to it now being WEEKS later; and the Cylons electing their own council representative? (again :wtf: - if you're going to make a dramatic plot point in one episode just to drop it like it never existed the following week - why did you waste time on it in the first place with only a few episodes left and posdcasts of what you had to cut for time, etc.??) I'm really starting too laugh at the who laud RDM as such an excellent storyteller. Again, ALL the exposition that Anders spewed forth in 15 minutes on ONE episode could have been spread over these last two wasted ones, and it would have made for a much more compelling story then what were had over the last 3 weeks.

Poor

17. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That means pretty much nothing. There seems to be a bizarre tendency for fans of shows to go overboard doling out the "A++++s" or "excellents". It is usually the result of hardcore fans compensating for the critics or overzealous posters who in some cases pull back from that initial score after reading other posts and their own reflection. And it is a phenomenon not exclusively for just BSG fans. In fact, I've seen it with other genre shows. I don't care how great a show is it never has excellent episodes week after week.

And a small sampling of TrekBBS posters dooesn't necessarily accurately reflect the general opinion of a wider audience on any subject--BSG or otherwise.
    It does if it is interesting character development. I can't really say that a lot of what I've seen this season falls into that category.
    I don't understand why posters who disagree with those of us who have issues with the show drag out the tired counter-argument that we don't appreciate the show simply because it lacks eye candy, action, space battles or revelations. As I've said there are plenty of other things to complain about or criticize that have nothing to do with any of those things. My biggest problem is the show isn't that compelling.

Having a camera focus in on an actor's face and looking grim or reflective doesn't make great drama. Having a character sit around and talk or play a piano or share Cylon projections doesn't mean it is great character-driven drama.

18. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a weird episode with only 4 hours left. So much time spent on Kara when that could've taken half the screen time if tightly written.

Okay, so that's Kara's Daddy. Daddy was a piano player at an Opera House. Daniel was "sensitive"--and a musician? Is this Daniel--or is it someone from the SoL? Maybe that's what makes Kara so special--she's not actually a Cylon hybrid...she's a hybrid from the SoL.

And if Daddy had been from that group, and got mixed up with humans, would that make Daddy Count Iblis?

This idea sounds worse as I read it, but...we got a human-cylon hybrid. If Kara was so special, she needs to be more special than Hera.

Kara has been pronounced "Kar-uh" and "Kair-uh" while Hera has been pronounced "Heer-uh" an "Hair-uh." The second versions of both rhyme. Anything coincidental about the rhyme between Kara and Hera?

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Character development certainly counts. It's what makes this show great and why it stands above most of today's MediaSF.

That being said, Starbuck's development is no longer interesting because it's repetitive at this point and predictable, and has left her stagnant.

Now, on the other hand, the stuff with Boomer manipulating the Chief that's pure gold because it played upon who these two characters are, what they want, who they once were, and where they are at in their lives.

In terms of mystery and unanswered questions, I don't need everything neatly tied in a bow and handed to me. Babylon 5, for example, didn't resolve everything and that's one of my favorite shows. Tapping The Source, one of my favorite novels, never resolves the main mystery, but it's about the character's journey not the McGuffin. (Oh and despite the claims that Point Break was inspired by this novel, the two are nothing alike.)

However, nuBSG doesn't do what that show or a tightly-written mystery novel does well: resolve part of one mystery and have that dovetail into another. Rather, in the case of the Starbuck arc, it is the same mystery played out as far and beyond what it should be to the point where it becomes a vulture circling the carcass of the audience.

Example: Babylon 4.

At the start of B5, it is said B4 vanished 24 hours before becoming operational. Then we see it reappear, learn that it's being taken through time, and at the end we know that two of the lead characters are involved. Now the audience is set up to expect that it's into the future. We resolved what happened to Babylon 4, but not why and how. So we have a piece resolved but now we have more questions. Then when we get the answers, it subverts what the audience expects -- B4 being taken into the far future.

Consider if we got what Starbuck is in this episode or earlier, now the characters and her have to deal with what that means -- much like the Final Five. Now we watch to find out what Starbuck is, who was the other Starbuck or where did she come from. Say you make her a cylon or say that she's a cylon, which is the audience expectation, now the trick is to subvert it and dangle a new carrot for us to jump for.

Instead of dealing with it now, it seems that we have to get it all in the final few hours of the series and I fear that the finale will be very much on par with DS9's "What You Leave Behind," where everything is crammed into two hours.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Boy, people who have differing opinions than you. How dare they? :rolleyes: