Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

There's more to a show than music. And, no, for the most part, the piano music was not that great. Only when it became All Along the Watchtower did it become moving. Been there, done that.

Yeah, well, they kept the plot warmed over. I actually gave it an Above average. Although, that's probably a bit generous. I did enjoy it. But, this close to the end, it was a bit of a waste. I definitely understand that viewpoint. As I said in my review, they didn't have enough plot to quite make it to the end so they're stretching it out! Adding water to the soup.

That's the thing though. It wasn't storytelling for the most part. It was just characters interacting. Sitting by a keyboard, walking through a house, etc.

Yeah, I actually think that given the little plot there was, they pulled it over fairly well. They can thank their lucky stars that their characters were interesting enough to do that. But, it was not a stellar episode by any means.

The writers coasted on this one. The actors made it decent.

Mr Awe

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only that but, you need light to read music and stars *produce light*!!

Come on, you know you're dying to call it Terra!

I hate to admit, but you may well actually be right about this. It does make sense. And, I'm just giving you a hard time above. I suppose the frequency of the notes could correspond to the light frequency (color). But, it's probably just a star map of a star group as seen from Earth.

Mr Awe

3. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone is saying interesting revelations are necessary for an episode to be considered good or entertaining. In their absence other elements such as interesting character scenes or interesting unfolding plot can be just as good. In my opinion though those elements have been missing as well.

Also at this stage in the game the writers have held out on us for years for the big revelations that are an important part of the show and it seems they are going to hold onto them until the very end literally which again isn't a problem necessarily if the other material in the interim was worthwhile. And frankly it just hasn't been up to par. Instead of feeling like an exciting thrill ride for two months of a series building to an exciting climax and conclusion with a lot of ground to cover, it has felt like a worn out series stumbling to the finish line with tepid and lethargic storytelling grasping for ideas alternating between episodes that build momentum and episodes that do their best at halting it.

It feels like VOY in some ways where they could have availed themselves of crafting an interesting arc but rather wasted it on irrelevant drivel opting instead to unload everything in the final two hours of the show.
    Tense exciting episodes one after the other. Examples of what I consider strong arcs that demonstrate this rather well would be DS9's ten episode Final Chapter or Lost in season 3 and season 4, Heroes in season one--which actually is more of an example of the slow burn type of storytelling executed well as opposed to BSG last year or this year.
    She is? I never saw any evidence of this. It always seemed to me that some sort of supernatural force like the original series' Ship of Lights beings or DS9's Prophets resurrected her. She was never a Cylon or hybrid.
    When I see some like in "The Oath" or "No Exit" I'll let you know. Like I said the lack of revelations--which while not timely enough for me most certainly will come I have no doubt about that-- is the least of the show's problems--pacing, introducing threads then never developing them, the pointless season long fixation on the cult, flat out dull storytelling, waste of characters like Six or Tory etc. The Cylons were never that interesting. Apollo was never that interesting to begin with and seeing him stretch his political wings wasn't that satisfying. The attempted romances all but failed except for the only one that has worked--Roslin/Adama.

Plot is pretty much secondary on this show. In fact, when I think about it BSG is mostly a series of character scenes that stand on their own and have been rather hit or miss of late.

No, the more I think about it BSG has become a pale shadow of itself after the long arc in season two and never recovered. I'm only sticking around for the mythology and the fact I had already invested all this time into it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I think it's fascinating to watch these characters who feel lost and adrift, and are struggling to hold onto their humanity.

It makes perfect sense that after all this time away from civilization, things would start to unravel to the point they have. And that relationships would become so complex and twisted around in so many different ways-- even the one between humans and cylons.

I agree not every storyline has worked (like the cult), but it's still been interesting territory to explore I think.

Much more than simply watching the Cylons chase the Galactica around for 4 seasons, which seems to be what most fans here wanted. :rolleyes:

5. Adm. Bonz

Adm. Bonz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

QFT!

Great Ep! Loved every minute of it.

6. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

Average

Would've been above average if it wasn't for the utterly pointless Starbuck stuff. Yet again 'Boomer' makes a patsy out of the Chief. :guffaw:

Moore should'a used that Cylon goop on the plot, it's shakier than the Galactica after 'Boomer's' jump.

7. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This makes some sense.

It could explain how Cavil and the Colonials meet up for the final fight. And before anyone complains that's not a spoiler. Anyone with a brain in their head knows that in one of the next three episodes Cavil and his guys are going to make a return and have a final fight with the Colonials.

8. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ugghhhh.....

My thoughts are much like Starbucks reaction to that song daddy taught her.

The show makes me happy and sad at the same time. [​IMG]

God please let these last three episodes kick ass. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And kill Anders or heal him.

One interesting thing was the song and the final five bit.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the Starbuck ride (and side boob) more than the Tyrol side. I kinda wish a lot of the supposed Boomer season three cuts weren't cut. There was such potential with her character but I have no idea what her motivation is since she stopped being a focal point.

On a side note, I guess when Athena downloaded to save Hera, her... uh... techniques and whatnot were picked up by the other eights, who can now jump Halo and he'll never know the difference.

Has Lee only had one scene in each of the last three episodes?

And so much for Dirk Benedict playing Starbuck's dad.

10. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess they had to shoot another 'intense' scene again with Helo and Boomer, lol, well I guess with this boomer.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

It's not happening until tomorrow. It's SciFi's way of getting you to pay for the episode on iTunes.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

13 Cylon models....

Seven are the children....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Five are their creators....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And one's a deadbeat dad who plays the piano....

[​IMG]

And he has a plan!

13. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

the last few episdoes have been really giving me Macross Frontier vibe...

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie::guffaw::lol::guffaw::rommie:

I did love the episode by the way. It was slow, sure, but that didn't strike me as necessarily a bad thing. I'm expecting a hell of a ride from the last 3 eps. I think Galactica, more than most shows, has its legacy riding on how they end it.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Was it my imagination, or was the guy playing piano with Starbuck actually tapping out the old Larson cylon motif at one point? Sounded like the notes they always used when you'd cut back to the base ship or Baltar w/ Lucifer.

16. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

One thing that made me rather ambivalent, if they trash CIC set now, what will they use for the Plan?

17. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow what a ride this is becoming.

The story started with a story of seductive betrayal by Baltar and it coming to an end thanks to the seductive betrayal of the Chief.

I fully expect the Chief to be shot next week...sure he's a good guy and all. But in that environment you're only as good as your last decision...and I'm comfortable with that.

I didn't realize the piano player was a projection until Starbuk pulled out her dog tag and started telling her story. She's been keeping to herself up to then.

This projection reinforces my earlier declaration that she is central to how this show wraps up...but we all knew that anyway.

Also it was very cool how the up to now underutilized Hara gave that picture to Starbuk and it turned out to be a linchpin of the final 5 arc.

As far as the Boomer kidnapper story goes... I dunno. I see many here buying into Ellen's theory that was Cavil's goal all along.

Think about it, you all know Ellen isn't quite right. Anyway I don't buy that, kidnapping Hara is just insurance for Boomer.

With Hara she has a trophy, now she can go back to her ONLY safe spot and not incur Cavil's wrath. Truthfully I was surprised after all that has happened, the trials, mutiny, blanket pardons why she was arrested in the 1st place...she's just another 8...she's not the 8 that shot Adama.

Galactica the ship is done but I suspect Cavil will want to slowly torture the fleet the way a cat toys with a mouse. Sucess here is to stop history from repeating itself...see Ander's revalation to the other finals.

'Someone to watch over me' was compelling enough to keep me up to watch both of the sci fi showings so I have to give this an excellent. I'm not saying it was as riviting as the first 3 season openers but I was thourghly entertained and intend to watch it again on the computer.

18. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Above Average. It started a bit slow but built up nicely, and ended firing on all cylinders. I like that they're not just giving us answers every episode, because as much as I enjoyed the reveals two weeks ago I think the questions are usually more interesting.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

There's still the Cylon God.

20. Carlito

Carlito Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's funny that with all the negativty and criticism in this thread the episode still has more "excellent" votes than any other option.

So does character development count for nothing? Does every episode that doesn't have a massive space battle or loads of details about the cylons get dismissed as "nothing happened"?

I suppose next week they should just have Ellen standing in front of a brick wall telling the history of everything. "The first cylons on Kobol were created by Harvey Cylon who lived at 123 Kobol Road..."