Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Above average. It's fairly clear now that the series doesn't have enough plot left to make it to the end so they're spreading it out thin. What we saw tonight was done well, but it wasn't extraordinary.

Kara and her Daddy (I'm assuming). Their story would've been more interesting if they had actually moved it forward. Just a bunch of piano playing until the very end. What happens next should be interesting but that doesn't help this episode.

Tyrol and Boomer. A sort of touching love story ending with betrayal. They played it well but ultimately it fell short. Cavil will get Hera. Again, what happens next should be interesting but that doesn't help this episode.

Tonights episode, good for character moments but short on story. In both main stories, they really only advanced right at the end setting things up. They're spreading the plot thin at this point. Fortunately for them, the characters keep it interesting enough.

Mr Awe

2. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I completely agree. What a way to piss away a precious hour. I'm seriously contemplating just Tivoing the rest of the series and watching it after the fact. If it wasn't at the end, I'm flat out drop it.

The Boomer storyline was good, and I really liked the end of the episode.

As for the "answers" about Kara? :guffaw: What a way to waste time and not say anything.

I'm so disappointed with this second half of this season. So much potential to wrap things up and what a dragging, boring assed waste of time.

3. Mr Awe

We've been discussing and theorizing about the 3rd party pulling the strings for quite a long time now, this is nothing new.

Mr Awe

4. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it, above average (as I consider "average" a lot of season three's quadrangle). I'm not as critical as you guys... just excited to see what they do. I'm just along for the ride :).

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

What's new is someone on the show also saying something is pulling the strings, in this case someone of importance, one of the final 5 realizing something is pulling the strings. So now it isn't just us theorizing about it, its actually in the show that they think this as well.

6. Mr Awe

^^Shrug, ok. Didn't seem to big of a revelation to me. Neither was the daddy thing.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AVERAGE

Kara Thrace and her destiny was boring and predictable in this episode. All that and still no answers. If there had been more than she knows the frakkin' final five song, then it might've been okay. It's been prolonged foreplay for so long that I just don't give a rat's ass.

Now, the Boomer stuff... top notch. I was pissed and frustrated during the whole thing especially the locker sex stuff.

Oh, one last thought: What the frak is the whole hullabaloo of the final five if they are NOT to interfer? They are useless as a group and Tigh is the only interesting one in the bunch.

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Average

The Kara stuff was predictable and a bit boring. Fortunately, the Boomer/Chief/Helo/Athena storyline saved this one from dropping below average.

We are to the point where every episode should be an A+++... the next three weeks had better be better than this.

9. Psion

Psion Commodore Commodore

Why is it when the tillium ship jumped right next to a Raptor and two Vipers a few weeks ago, all it did was pitch the ships about, but when a Raptor jumps a little bit further away from the Galactica, the ship gets wrecked? And don't hand me any lame excuses about the hull damage, this effect looked like it damaged a large area ... that tillium ship barely nudge the Raptor that was docking with it.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

But the hull damage would be a main effect of why they lost integrity. The Chief said early in the episode Galactica had only a few more jumps in her at most before they'd lose hull integrity.

11. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

On second viewing I think something else was revealed... what the significance of "the Song" is: Earth 2! Hera said she was drawing the stars. The Five heard music. Starbuck was taught the music. The music was heard by the Four when at the nebula, and the nebula was meant to point them to Earth. The song is the map, not to Earth 1, but Earth 2.

Perhaps by calculating the harmonic identities of those notes, one can find the stars they represent, and, from there find the habitable planet.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

We knew something was pulling the strings since Ellen came back two weeks ago. She admitted that the sun exploding must be someone else. Thus this episode is useless.

Me too, only three weeks left, I won't ditch now, but I'm really fed up with this bullshit.

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know where you come up with this shit, but I love to read it.

Good episode.

14. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Red Shirt

But dumping all the secrets on you is lazy writing. Sure Hera draws the Solar system or what not, and maybe Starbuck is daughter of the thirteenth cylon (Daniel). But who cares if all they are going to do in the next episodes is dump the secrets on you.

I would rather see that one day after Sharon and Karl realize their daughter knows the way to Earth, that they take a daytrip in a Raptor and simply jump away without telling any one leaving the human race to die at the hands of Cylons.

15. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can’t believe the never streamed deadlock on the BSG site. I even checked the hulu site that guy kept name dropping and nothing. Some body piss em off or something?

OK episode, seems like Kara like people here predicted is a "hybrid." So yeah, what’s with the accurate predictions? They're almost like spoilers now. Damn even the Harry potter people weren’t so accurate that I can remember. So I guess the angels, missing cylon, or what ever the hell they are, are going to give them a new ship huh? Though they didn’t spoil or even hint at that on the preview for next week..

16. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Excellent!

Everyone bashing here, is complaining about the lack of revelation in the show. So what?

This was simply awesome. The music was amazing. Well done and nicely done for Starbuck.

Everyone complaining there are only a few episodes left... what do you expect? Starbuck is a halfbreed, Cavil is the evil mastermind, the ship is dying....

This is it, end of story...

I'm enjoying the elegant scenes I'm seeing on screen. I'm positive the amazing things I want will happen in the next episodes, but I'm enjoying the calm before the storm. Everyone should appreciate what great storytelling they are seeing, instead of criticizing the show for not revealing everything exactly when you want it to.

17. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Cogley, it's just a theory, but I'm actually working with a dj in CA right now on a project, and as we were talking tonight, it suddenly occurred to me that music has a frequency, as does light. Music is also mathematical. Music is also connected to astronomy via Pythagoras.

Now, according Pythagoras, each of the seven planets produced by its orbit a particular note according to its distance from the center which was the Earth. Pythagorians also discussed music as the harmony that binds the universe. The point here that its possible that the real, ultimate significance of that set of notes is that it can be made into an astronomical map.

Hera said she was drawing the stars. Starbuck remembered a set of notes in the song. So, if you could do something like figure out the harmonic identities of the notes and plot them astronomically, that could be either a map of the system containing a habitable planet ("Earth 2" for lack of a better term) or a map of stars, similar to the map of the constellations we saw way back in Season 2 ok Kobol, which leads to such a world. And we know that's what they're looking for. At the moment, they're lost. They need a map. If anybody could figure it out in the context of the story, it would be Baltar.

Now the Cylons have Hera. The Fleet has Starbuck. Both are hybrids. Hybrids navigate for the Cylons. So now, both parties may well have a map to the same place, a habitable planet.

18. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haven't seen the episode yet, but wasn't the piano player in last week's episode?

19. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

No, the piano player in last week's episode I do believe bears an amazingly remarkable resemblance to series composer Bear McCreary... hmmm....

In other news, if you check out his blog, he practically wrote a doctoral dissertation on the music written for the production of this episode in addition to the score as is his normal weekly custom.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I thought this was a very beautiful and elegantly made episode.

Frankly I find it laughable that so many actually expect Moore to answer everyone's questions in the first place. Have you guys actually SEEN this show? Moore is all about the questions, and the mystery, and the journey itself.

It's been that way since the beginning. I seriously doubt he's going to wrap everything up in a nice little bow at the end. lol