Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, so continuing with this theory, that Kara is the child of a skinjob and a human, maybe that's why they took the sample of her ovaries. I'm wondering if Cavil hasn't dissected it to see if there's anything special in it that would help skinjobs and humans procreate.

2. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't realize it was the same song until I came in here. I thought it was another song they recognized. I'm chalking it up to how loooooong it's been since that episode and the fact that BSG is the only place I've heard it.

I also didn't see imaginary piano man coming. I thought he was a real person paralleling Kara's father, like Romo Lampkin was a parallel of Apollo's grandfather.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

"The one reborn" is probably either Starbuck, or Daniel.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The one reborn" could be any of the Cylons.

It could be Helen. All of the skinjobs are her children, by her own reckoning.

5. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep seeing people doing this, but I'm just going to pick on you:

It's Ellen. Ellen Tigh. Not "Helen". Ellen.

Thank you for your attention.

6. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

Or they could be fictional deities of a simple polytheistic religion, like their namesakes...

7. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Eh, as soon as Kara started talking about some new guy playing the piano an episode or two ago, who no one else, there or elsewhere, referred to, it just screamed "Head Guy!" to me.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever. In the fleet we just called her "Roundheels Tigh."

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Will Almodovar do a BSG project someday?
    "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" (with Penelope Cruz as Ellen AND Sol)

10. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At this point I'm so amazingly sick of Daniel theories :( I just want the guy to be dead, gone, never come back, never mentioned again, etc.

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

personally I think Daniel was merely created to fill a small plot hole . . . now it seems like he's the guy pulling all the strings according to everyone's theories

12. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Daniel has been reborn, several times.... :)

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

And sadly oh so true.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daniel can't be the guy pulling all the strings and he can't be the 'head' characters. Anders said in No Exit that they received visions from a man and woman warning them of the impending apocalypse, and that was a good 2,000 years before Daniel was created.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think you're probably right. Daniel will have something to do with Caprica, but on Galactica regular, he's a just an unseen part of the show's prehistory (like Joseph Adama).

16. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

I agree - I don't think Daniel will become wildly important to BSG. He's a setup character for Caprica, fills the 'why is Boomer an '8'' plot question, and makes some kind of sense out of Starbuck's "specialness". He's a handy plot contrivance.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ I'm not sure. If he wrote the song, I think he's something more important. I don't think he's the Cylon god but he's more than just a plot contrivance too.

Mr Awe

18. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm rewatching the "big revelation" scene again and again since I've first seen the episode, and I'm still amazed at how good it is.

When I saw the episode for the first time, I didn't immediately get that Slick=Daddy=not-real vibe, as most of you did. Maybe I was a little too dense that evening, or maybe it was the fact that I was spoiled about the "Watchtower" reveal and so concentrated on that part. On first viewing, I even missed the fact that Slick was gone the moment Tigh grabbed Kara.

However, what makes the scene so great, in my opinion, is the fact that, upon reviewing, all of this really didn't came as some big punch-in-the-gut surprise out of nowhere but instead just fell into place naturally - and that this feeling is shared between the viewer and the character in the scene.

There is some sense of inevitability to all of this - just like the viewer, Kara seems to know that something is up with that guy, at least on an unconscious level. She is not at all surprised that this stranger is her dad, as you can see by the Father/Daughter interaction from her memories being so casually repeated by her and Slick.

For that scene alone: Excellent!

19. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

He didn't write the song. Sam played it on Earth 2,000 years prior. How Head!Dad came to know it, and what its significance truly means, remains to be seen.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then Almodovar could follow up with Baltar Education. Some wicked stuff with Head Baltar and Head Six... yikes!