Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Awesome. That sequence is fast becoming one of my favorite BSG moments.

2. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

:techman: Completely agreed. Thanks for the link, Aragorn.

This was an easy Excellent for me, and a huge rebound from last week's awkward misstep. I loved the "slow burn" feel it had, and both major stories were really well done. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for me this was the most emotionally affecting episode they've done since "Maelstrom." I know the music is a big part of that...Starbuck remembering the song definitely goes down as one of my top 10 BSG scenes, right up there with moments like dropping the bucket in "Exodus" and Adama smashing the model ship in "Maelstrom."

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode was disturbing. Excellent. I really enjoyed it and am ready for the end!

4. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps Daniel (or Starbuck's father, if you will) has something to do with the Kobol Opera House. Maybe he's playing the piano there or something. Seems like they could be connected. Who knows?

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

That was my favorite moment of the show. I heard that and I got up and started paying attention. I couldn't believe it to the point where at first I missed that the Piano guy was gone with Tigh yanked Starbuck around.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

No, the writers coasted on this one and the actors delivered. Not much happened and what did was stretched out. But, the actors kept it interesting.

Mr Awe

7. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it again, and enjoyed it even more than the first time.

I think Dennis places too much import on the Sixth Sense 'cliche' with Starbuck's father.

I suspected that the piano player was: a) Starbuck's father, and b) 'not really there' within moments. It didn't alter my enjoyment of the episode in the slightest. In fact, it made it more interesting than if she had just been speaking to some random nobody. It was a personal look into the relationship of father and daughter, and it was very touching at times. It seemed as if even Starbuck suspected at times what was really going on.

RDM expects his audience to be savvy. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I suspect that he knew we would guess early on that something was up with the piano player.

I've watched the episode with friends who figured it out right away, and with friends who didn't. Both camps enjoyed it immensely. It works both ways.

I wonder if the 'aged to present day' version of the father will soon appear, played by Dirk Benedict. :eek:

8. Mr Awe

I'm fairly convinced that the dying leader is Adama. Yes, I think the Galactica will be destroyed. And, can you picture him not going down with the ship? I can't.

Mr Awe

9. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was quickly becoming a Tyrol/Boomer shipper... but I had to nix that because Boomer tricked The Chief...

Still, I'm hoping that everything will be tied up by the show's end....as everything seems to be going downhill fast.

I'm still wondering what will happen to Tory...(I do not like that character!)

And, even though Starbuck is not one of my favorite characters, and her story is wearing on me...I'm somewhat interested on 'who she is' exactly.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Sure, he'd go down with the ship. But they've set up a kind of scifi possibility with the ship going to pieces during a jump ... for all we know, that could be a time thing that scatters folks to far reaches and starts the whole thing over again.

Only dif this time might be that the Prez and 6 have gotten off the ship to search for Hera, and maybe their finding her breaks the loop ... or maybe humans realize that human/cylon future doesn't work any better than human only futures, and deliberately take themselves out of the loop (I think folks will slit their wrists if that is the case, but it could be beautiful if handled properly, like the Sturgeon story where the US is getting nuked and chooses to not retaliate in order to let the human race live on.)

11. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

My vote: Excellent - Much better than last episode... And a nice quiet character building one.

Some may say the plot is moving far too slow for being this near the end... But at least this episode I think more than any other really did establish the playing field for the characters going into the final episodes.

As mush as I usually like space battles and dislike Kara Thrace centered episodes, this was great stuff. Can't wait to see more.

12. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

Upon second viewing, I've changed my vote to above average.
    It's quite good.

13. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

While I, on the other hand, didn't realise this until I read this page of the thread ;)

I completely missed the fact the guy was gone when Tigh went up to Starbuck.

14. Samuel T. Cogley

Can't tell if you are being serious or not.

I meant that I suspected it from the first moment I saw him, not after it was revealed that he was not really there. (It didn't require much 'suspecting' at that point.)

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that Kara knows about her nature, I hope she actually does something about it in the next episode instead of agonizing over it the entire time.

I'm sure Kara will agonize and Adama will curl up in a ball and cry next episode.

16. Samuel T. Cogley

Did anyone else get a strong "Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor" vibe from the scene between Starbuck and her father during Starbuck's "everything was so clear" speech? (About 33 minutes in.)

17. Mr Awe

That would be pretty undramatic, compared to the alternatives, to have the ship just disintegrate during a jump! And, I don't see BSG doing the time technobabble thing to explain the cycle.

Nah, the Galactica will go out in a big battle against Cavil's forces (no spoilers, just me guessing). In that scenario, Adama will be aboard.

Mr Awe

18. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

Here's a question: In season 3 it's said that Hera can recognize Athena from Boomer, yet when Boomer picked her up from day-care, why did Hera go along peacefully? Did she want to go with her to Cavil?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hera is going to pull a Star Child (V) on Cavil's ass.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't know all those people did the song.

Then I thought... I have everything U2 ever did. So I did a quick search on my hard drive and sure enough, there it was... The U2 version.