Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.4%
  3. Average

46.7%
  4. Below Average

14.2%
  5. Poor

5.7%
  1. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe no one has mentioned Adama's hilarious blow-off of Baltar:

"I'm gonna go to the head. Do something productive. A little project I've been working on."

:guffaw:

2. 0 of ln(kirk^3)

0 of ln(kirk^3) Lieutenant Junior Grade

could the Baltar redistributing food to the poor scene have been an homage to count Iblis?

3. Samuel T. Cogley

If I never hear another fan reference to Count Iblis, it will be too soon.

4. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

That did crack me up. Not just the comment, but something about Olmos' casual delivery of it.:lol:

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Adama's line was pretty funny.

I do wish we didn't end up with so much stuff on the cutting room floor. How is it this writing staff hasn't figured out how to write 42 minute episodes yet? They always seem to cut, cut, cut and it's not like it's just fluff--usually they drop important and relevant plotlines due to time constraints!

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that is true, they should have left that in.

I think the the last two episodes has a lot of plot in them, atleast they focused in on the character moments. I think after the disappointment of finding a dead earth, and the frenzy of the mutiny arc, there had to be 1 or 2 episodes that explained a lot of the questions, and set up the final arc of the series. They were also probably trying to save some money in the middle of the season, so they could do a bigger finale.

RDM has mentioned in the past that the finale for DS9 was a bit disappointing because they had to reuse a lot of effects and cut back on somethings because of budget. So maybe he learned his lesson.

I am going to miss this show when it is all over. I remember watching the original series when it first aired, and have liked Galactica ever since. I was one of thos fans in the beginning that highly doubted this new incarnation, but I gave it a try and was hooked on it by the end of the episode Water.

-Chris

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I like about these last few episodes is all the symbolism that has been thrown into them.

Using cylon technology to repair the Galactica
    Six losing her baby, kind of ironic since the first thing she did in the miniseries was kill one.
    The cylon civil war, and the mutiny on the Galactica kind of mirror one another.
    The Quorum is wiped out, and the series when it started, they didnt have one either.
    Baltar's arc is sort of mirroring his arc in the beginning, the question is will he make the right choices this time?

-Chris

8. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

The solution to the series since the beginning (Helo and Sharon) has been the uniting of humans and Cylons in peaceful co-existence. Any viewer could have seen that and that is indeed where the story has ended up. Some were afraid it would result in a hand-holding sing-along fest.

What makes BSG great, however, is not that the resolution of the series has finally occurred, it's that the players involved seem to be rejecting it completely. The answer to all the fleet's problems is staring them in the face and they WILL NOT accept it. It's certainly a grim but painfully accurate portrait of humanity. I applaud RDM and co for not cheapening their premise with a completely happy ending.

(Granted, there are 4 episodes remaining so there is still a month for me to have those words sent back down my throat)

9. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

^^^4 more, but does anyone know the status of the final episode's length?

10. Gregsmack

2 hours, I believe. The four episodes are apparently three single-hours and a one 2-hour finale.

That's right, we're down to the Final Five.

11. Shawnster

Shawnster Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See, that's the conclusion I've come to. I at first thought and hoped that Ellen would be different. Mature, all-knowing, etc... At first I was disappointed she was still the drunk petty woman we've always seen but then I realized that's just her. It doesn't matter that she's a 2,000+ year old Cylon. If her personality has always been a petty, manipulative, conniving drunk then that's what she's going to be. It doesn't matter if she has all her memories or not - Cavil did not change her personality.

This doesn't mean she can't be one of the "good guys." This doesn't mean she can't have been responsible for rediscovering resurrection. It just means that's who she is.

Ironic she's so sick of Tigh and Caprica having a relationship yet she slept with Cavil. Of course that wasn't her complete choice - she wasn't in full command of her faculties or had all her memories at that time. On the other hand neither does Tigh now.

I wonder what it's going to take to unlock all the memories for the other four. Hopefully something besides death.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we'll get another Athena/Boomer scene that Grace Park isn't good enough to pull off.

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average

I don't need to explain this one because everybody has been kind enough to voice my opinions for me already. :techman:

My big problem with the episode was Tyrol suddenly deciding to go with the Cylons. I have no problem with him making this choice, what I didn't believe was the flippant manner in which he chose it as it was obviously just a way of making Ellen the tie-vote in order to increase the drama in an episode which really didn't need more. Play the character drama as character drama, don't try and make it seem like a big important Cylony plot thing. :rolleyes:

By the way, you know there is something wrong with you when you have only been watching the show for six months yet you can recognise Bear McCreary blurred-out in the background of a scene. :lol:

14. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I voted above average. It didn't have the intensity and revelations of the past few episodes, but it did have some fantastic character moments, which are what made me a fan in the first place. It could have been paced a bit better, but could fit in better in the larger picture.

The scene with Saul and Bill after the miscarriage was definitely a highlight for me. Hogan and Olmos are brilliant with moments like that. And the nice touch of pointing out that "Liam" is short for William.

It was also nice to see that, even after recovering her memories, Ellen is still essentially the same person.

15. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping Sam's reboot provides a major clue. Or that he and Ellen can work it out to help the others.

16. Psion

Psion Commodore Commodore

You're gonna be so pissed when Anders wakes up and it turns out he's possessed by Iblis.

17. Gregsmack

What the fuck is an Iblis.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

19. Samuel T. Cogley

I"ll be in shock if RDM even remembers Iblis or cares.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Get ready for a shock then.

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/outside_docs/bg_outdoc0050.htm