Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.4%
  3. Average

46.7%
  4. Below Average

14.2%
  5. Poor

5.7%
  1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Am I the only one who thinks Paula is trouble? There's always been something very iffy about her and her attitude. And I wonder if this Sons of Ares thing is going anywhere, or if we'll consider it another "problem solved" now that Baltar's nymph squad is heavily armed.

2. Darth_Pinche

Darth_Pinche Captain Captain

Average, but with a few small tweaks it could have been much better. The writing was at fault. As others have said Adama's and Tyrol's seemingly rash choices do make sense when you fill the blanks. Adama is a drunk, pill popping mess right now, so his giving Baltar guns to keep the civilians calm might sound ok to him. But in his scene with Baltar, that is when they should have played up Adama's addiction and loss of purpose. That is where you show a drunk Adama.
    A simple line or quip from the Chief would have reminded the audience that ever since he discovered he was a Cylon, he doesn't care about much of anything, just seeing what comes his way in a more resigned to his fate way.
    I get the sense that RDM and the other writers were more focused on the finale and needed an episode to save money and threw it at Espinson.

3. zekkie

zekkie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed

It's like Espenson forgot to write for the characters this episode. I guess she drew the short straw and was forced to take the swiss-cheesed, character-skewing, plot advancing assignment.

4. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

AGREED!!!! :scream:

5. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Below Average. Especially when compared to the last few weeks. Just a disjointed mess. The much anticipated return of Ellen completely fell flat. Tyrol's behavior (being so casually ready to abandon the fleet) seems very out of character based on how he's been in the prior episodes. The entire Baltar subplot just seems to be a distracting waste of valuable time. We only have 4 episodes left! This is not the time to go off on some tangent with Baltar and the Bimbo Brigade. I was extremely disappointed in pretty much everything except Hogan, who, as usual, delivered regardless of what was going on around him.

Overall I enjoyed the rerun of SG-1's "200" that aired after more than I liked this mess. That's not good.

6. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Am I the only one who believes Tyrol's desire to leave the fleet? Guy has no wife, no child, few friends and (very likely) many enemies. His desire to help Galactica during the mutiny is in no way an indicator that he gives a shit. Like he said to Lee, "the old man just deserves better." He has no ill will towards Adama and the humans, but given an opportunity at a new life he will certainly take it -- and no, I don't believe getting his position back as 'Chief' is the perk he needs. After all the guy has been through, getting back his rigorous and thankless job means about zilch.

7. Robert Maxwell

The Chief's behavior makes sense to me, too. He really has nothing to look forward to--why would he want to stick around with humans who will always hate him on some level? Might as well go try to start a new life with his own kind.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand it. He's got nothing left. He's a Cylon and he wants to be with other Cylons. What does his old job on Galactica really mean?

9. xanderwess

xanderwess Commander Red Shirt

What does his old job on Galactica really mean to the Chief? $13.50/hr. plus dental. Hey, these are tough times, gotta take a J-O-B where you can get one...

10. Gregsmack

^ :lol::lol:

I think back to his scene with Adama at Joe's Bar. His very loud proclamation that "THIS IS NOT MY FRAKING LIFE" is, besides being a fantastic scene, pretty much the definition of Tyrol as a character.

@xander: love your avatar.

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw him, too. :techman:

This episode had a few good scenes, but the pacing was off. The scenes were juxtaposed in such a way as to keep any kind of momentum from building. It was a day-in-the-life episode, which we can't really afford this close to the end of the series. Thank the Gods that Michael Hogan is so fascinating to watch.

One thing that impresses me about this thread is the surprising amount of objectivity the fans have about the show. There are some die-hard fans in this thread, myself included, who are perfectly willing to admit that this episode was not fantastic and who don't feel the need to apologize for it or rationalize it away. I'm not used to seeing that much in fandom.

12. Gregsmack

^

Given the briskness of the season so far, this episode seemed spread a bit thin. I think it may have been able to support another plotline without sacrificing the drama of what was already going on.

But you raise a good point on objectivity. With the astronomical quality of this season I was beginning to think I was losing my own objectivity towards it. This episode reminded me in the same way that 'Sine Qua Non' did that this series (like any series) DOES occasionally have chinks in the armor. It wasn't by any means a bad episode but it certainly seemed below its potential.

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, my understanding is that it isn't a set at all, at least not in the traditional sense. I believe RDM said in a podcast that it's actually the space between the back of part of the Galactica set and the soundstage wall. They didn't have any room left to build the set, so they just used the space between the existing set and the wall. Pretty creative, actually.

Agreed. She's the most realistic female on the show. Unfortunately. :lol:

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought that a lot fo the dialog was amazingly well done.

Really? That is pretty neat.

15. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

Above average, but solely due to Michael Hogan's performance. Not a bad episode in general, but as others have said, it was a little too 'soapy' for an episode so close to the finish line.

I have no problem with BSG doing soapy episodes (I thought Unfinished Business was great) but I found this episode sort of slowed this (half) season's momentum a little bit.

I liked the B-story lines a little more than the whole "Ellen returns to Galactica, but in jealous uberbitch mode" storyline. Overall though, sort of an underwhelming offering for where we are in the story.

16. flavaflav

flavaflav Captain Captain

average
    certainly had its moments. ellen getting the flask from adama...i almost pissed myself. actually, everything with ellen kicks ass. adama and tigh drunk. heh, that's always good for a laugh.
    baltar storyline has gone to shite. boring. i don't buy the way chief voted. out of character to say the least. but that's nothing new for the writers. whatev.
    looking forward to next weeks ep.

17. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

I agree--while the Chief isn't back to his pre-Cylon coming out days, he's openly overseeing the Galactica repairs and he always seemed rather ambivalent to me about being a full out gung-ho Cylon.

18. Evil_Admiral

Evil_Admiral Commodore Commodore

I gave this episode an above average. It didn't have the "wow" factor of No Exit or Sometimes a Great Notion, but it did have some interesting bits. The animosity towards Ellen being well, Ellen is interesting. But it is sort of understandable. I mean she has all of her prior memories plus what she acquired before dying on New Caprica. So it makes sense that she'd still have her old personality.

Ellen's scene with Caprica in Tigh's quarters was interesting. First it was the old Ellen. But then she got herself together and played nice by telling Caprica that it was obvious that Tigh loved her. But then it was back to the old Ellen when she told Caprica that Tigh would always hold Adama closer than she could ever come.

I can't wait to see what becomes of Anders now that his brain is apparently back.

19. Robert Maxwell

There was nothing ambivalent about the Chief's demands for full representation in the Quorum. Just because there isn't one anymore doesn't mean he doesn't believe in his Cylonness any longer. Helping Adama, getting the ship repaired--he did these things out of loyalty to the Old Man, not because this is the life he wants for himself. I could see him not caring all that much about leaving, one way or the other--but at least going with the baseship offered a change, which might have been enough to tip him.

20. Gregsmack

On Mo Ryan's blog one of the posters claims to have seen a longer cut of the episode at a Frak Party, and there was a notable scene in which Adama, Lee, and Roslin struggle with the idea of using Centurions to police the ship what with the Galactica being so low on marines after the mutiny. Adama is adamant (ha) that no centurions board the ship and in the end it results in Baltar's cult becoming the "human solution" to the police issue.

If this is in fact the scene that was cut, I must say that it was an extraordinarily poor creative choice by all parties involved.