Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.4%
  3. Average

46.7%
  4. Below Average

14.2%
  5. Poor

5.7%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. After a while all the mythology starts to sound like meaningless mumbo jumbo to me (and having it all jam-packed into one episode last week made it seem even more ridiculous). It's really the character relationships on this show I enjoy watching most.

That said, I generally agree this wasn't the most eventful story to have 5 episodes from the series finale.

2. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

I'm sure the slow paced story is positioning itself for the 2 or 3 episode finale.
    PROMO 4x17
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1dWnOY9GE

Boomer's scream is blood curdling. The action doesn't look fast paced enough... ANOTHER TRIAL??? Enough already with the legal snoozing. Get some people in the Vipers and shoot the piss out of something.

I thought this series was ending with a bang? I can't sit through a third week of exposition.

3. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

Is it just me or does Ellen seem more jealous of Bill than any of the women Saul have bedded?

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Average - I loved Ellen last episode... But here it seemed like she suddenly got mind-wiped again.

Yeah I know they are trying to point out that the final five are so very human, and that they are drawing the parent/child parallels with the Cylons... But still aside from Caprica talking back to Ellen for a bit in their cabin, I didn't really think it was emotions that were "earned". But that moment of Caprica seeing that her parent was ... flawed, was so good. I just wish the rest of the episode was that good.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Some nice character moments, some potential I thought they were going for but is being held to the next episode, and has Lee only been in one scene each of the last two episodes?

I really don't understand what arming Baltar's cult is supposed to do from Adama's POV. Maybe give them military support at the most. When they were talking about Cylons becoming half of Galactica, I half-expected Baltar to ask for a centurion to help the "lower decks" out.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

So the only name they have for Caprica Six is "Caprica Six"??? Didn't she have a name when she was dating Baltar on Caprica (or did Baltar always refer to her as "hey you"?)? Why don't they use that name?

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor

With only 6 hours left, you would think they'd skip these filler/soap-operaish episodes - hell they should have spread the previous episode story over to this one and they could have done less of the 'talking-head' exposition that last weeks episode entailed. /yawn.

8. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

After last weeks info overload, not much could be done with this weeks, I think. The episode felt very bare-bones. I could tell every single scene was trimmed down to the bare essentials for time purposes. This was like a two-part episode scaled down to one. Very 'edited to run in the time allotted' I felt. I think the DVD version will show it to be much better than we're all feeling right now.

9. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

No, we dicussed this on a thread a couple of year ago, I think.
    I still think it's ridiculous to assume Baltar had this relationship with this woman (Six) for however short or long and never knew her name, it's extremely not believable. Sure, he's narcassistic, but come on.

We are led to believe, as you said, she was referred to as "hey you" by Baltar.

10. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't help thinking a lot of re-editing went on. Saw the same scene of adama watching the welding about 5 times. Can't help thinking that Moore jigged it round in the edit. I'll be interested to hear the podcast.

Average from me. Great scene with Tigh and Adama at the end, but the episode was a bit ploddy. I really like Ellen last week, she seemed to have another layer since her download - but this week she was just a bitch for the sake of it.

Why the sudden change from Athena? Where was Helo?

Having said that, was Athena at Sam's bedside or just a random 8? You only get one hairdo with the 8's. Its hard to tell :lol:

Show has been on a roll of late, but this episode fell a bit flat for me.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I'm guessing Random Eight, I don't think Sharon would leave her husband and I don't think she believes in the whole majority rule idea either.

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Commodore Commodore

The weapons will allow Baltar's group to stand up to the bullies like the Sons of Ares. So, Baltar will be able to carry out his mission of providing food to the needy. So, my guess is that in return for weapons, Baltar promised Adama to provide food and protection to the civilian population in the lower decks.

I do think this decision might have some serious unintended consequences. Having different and competing militias so heavily armed can't be good!

13. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Below average.

If they replaced the 10,000 shots of Adama overseeing repairs to the ship, with Anders giving us brain-dumps about the Final Five, then it would have made both this week's and last week's episodes better.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I think Bill's given up for the most part. For all intents and purposes his ship is now being taken over by the Cylons bit by bit. The only thing on his mind in the Galactica. If given Baltar a few rifles and having keep the people in Dogsville and their problems keeps them out of his hair, then-- in his mind-- it's cheaper at half the price.

I had a problem with the whole "We've been talking..." angle to that decision. It would have worked better had they had Ellen come up with the ideal and drop the bomb on the rest of them. Still split it up 2 to 2: Tory, Ellen: For; Galen, Anders: Against.

15. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Average, but average for BSG is still pretty good. I thought they'd have to slow things down a bit after dumping so much information on us last week. A few thoughts on some things people have said so far:

I like the fact that Ellen is still Ellen after her download. It shows how deeply flawed she is, and as one of the creators of the Cylons it adds an interesting dynamic to the relationship between the Final Five and the rebel Cylons. It also provides another layer to Cavil's desire to be less human and more machine like. If Ellen was his picture of humanity, all the more reason to hate humans.

I think we're really seeing an Adama who has lost his way. He's struggling against the military pragmatism of needing the Cylon alliance (including their repairs of Galactica) and his deep hatred of the Cylons. I think that, coupled with the recent attempted coup, made Baltar's offer of a "human solution" palatable. Under Baltar put it in those terms, Adama wasn't going to give him the weapons. However, when he saw an opportunity to grab onto something resembling human self-sufficiency, he had to grab it.

Bill and Saul's scene together following Six's miscarriage was the highlight of the episode for me. I'm also intrigued by the direction Baltar is moving in.

There wasn't enough in this episode to make it stand out on its own, but I like the directions they appear to be going in, so I'm confident it will pay off.

ETA: I also wanted to mention something about Tyrol. After Cally's death, he's really given the impression of a man who just doesn't give a crap about anything any more. I think that's why he voted to leave. Nothing in the fleet really means anything to him now.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Cant agree more lets have more shots of Adama looking at the inside of his ship. They just should have replayed the same scene from different angles. Dull, Dull, Dull. No intensity and no drama this week.

17. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    Athena doesn't seem phased by any of this "As the Baseship Turns" stuff, I find. You heard what she said. She made her choice. The Old Man and the crew of Galactica seem to have largely accepted that, almost never referring to Sharon "Athena" Agathon in the same breath as generic Eights. Her "enemy" is anyone she believes threatens her family.

I'm actually much more interested in the very conspicuous absence of Leoben. :confused: The Twos never seem to be around nearly as much as the Sixes and Eights (if I see another random eight I think I'm going to explode. There must be like 20 times more of them on the Baseship than any other)*.

* = Of course, the real reason is probably due to both Athena and Boomer's serious lack of screen time. As Grace Park has a title role, I guess they just relegated her to Eight of the Week (EOTW) to keep her on screen.

18. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. Also in the interview (diff thread) there's a mention of some of the stuf that was cut. But it was really jarring, I feel how much was cut because of how disjointed the scenes felt.

19. aloha62

aloha62 Lieutenant Red Shirt

painfully dull.

There were a lot of moments that seemed very out of character for various folk.

Iam hoping this is just to save enough of the budget for a great finale.

20. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah this episode was so boring infact I couldn't wait for it to go off, and like others have said whats up with Tyrol in wanting away so easy I could understand Tori but the chief:confused: