Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.4%
  3. Average

46.7%
  4. Below Average

14.2%
  5. Poor

5.7%
  1. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Kind of a let down after the last couple of weeks. The previews for next week look pretty good.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It was an average episode, but it had some good moments, you can feel the show winding down, and I'm feeling generous, so I'll vote 'above average'. I wasn't expecting a rockin' ride anyway. Things need to slow down for a bit.

It was nice to see Baltar back to his old shenanigans. :D His whole bit was well played. I was especially surprised to see Adama give him another warhead.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average. Definitely not as good as the last three weeks but still a pretty good episode. Michael Hogan really deserves an Emmy nomination. His crying sounds like laughing but his scene with Adama at the end was heartbreaking. Poor Saul.

Human or Cylon, Ellen Tigh is still a first-rate bitch. It makes you feel even more sympathy for Saul because he had to put up with that for TWO THOUSAND YEARS!

Liked the Soylent Green scene in the beginning and now we've got gang warfare on the Galactica. West Side Story?

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average with above average moments. I've found a pattern developing this season with the odd numbered episodes being standouts while the even numbered ones halted the momentum and turned into very middling affairs.

Adama asked Tighe whether he had mythic revelations and that was definitely what this episode needed. Coming off the heels of the high-octane, densely plotted "No Exit" that lobbed tons of pieces of information at us that we chewed on for days afterwards coupled with this being itself one of the final five episodes, I expected much, much more from this one.

The Ellen/Tighe/Caprica Six love triangle with the dead wife returning only to find her husand had moved on and them getting back is complicated by a pregnancy is a clear soap opera staple. And as a one time soap opera fan, I have no objection to it. The only problem is I never really was all that invested in their marriage and I certainly have zero interest in the Tighe/Caprica Six instant love affair. Really I think Caprica Six, a once interesting character, has been shamefully wasted since season three when she defected with Hera.

Really I wanted this episode to carry the excitement and momentum from last week. Instead of insight into what happened to Starbuck we got moody Starbuck angst ho hum, instead of further insight into the Final Five's lives on Earth or why they were given warnings by the head entities or what happened to Cavil, we get Baltar's lame cult--one of the season's weakest elements. If by some miracle they actually make it payoff in an interesting way I'll gladly admit I was wrong. But for the better part of 15 episodes it has been a pointless aimless forced thread with a bunch of less than compelling cult members with zero acting abilities.

I never cared for Ellen but since last week I've really come to like her and Vernon's performance. It is interesting that her restored personality is different yet some of the spiteful Ellen is still there.

Other than that the episode felt like a mixed bag with a few scenes setting up things to come--the cult being armed, Anders' showing increased brain activity, some of the Five preparing to leave, Head Six returning.

I know it dealt with ongoing threads but felt like filler and with four episodes left it is disappointing. I mean how many times did we need to see the repair teams spackling the ship with the Cylon goo. C'mon.

Average

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The "B" stories-- Baltar's and Adama's-- were more interesting that the "A" story. Lot of potential, but little pay off.

6. Chi'pok

Chi'pok Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted Average; the episode felt very disjointed to me compared to the last couple of weeks. There were some good moments (Saul, Ellen, Six, the baby; the last scene); but it didn't cohere as well.

Hoping next week will be better...

7. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average, but closer to the "average" side than the "above" side.

8. Agent Richard07

I liked the "poverty in the fleet" feel from when Six was attacked. I wish the show had given us more of that over the years.

9. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    This episode wasn't complete filler, since it did result in the oft lauded reunification of the Special Most-Awesomest Final Five. But Ellen's return was more than just a return to the ship. It was also a return to Ellen, which sank this very much into filler territory for me. As both Bill and Saul noted, her return didn't open the doors to any mystical knowledge. She just returned...meh.

The true definition of filler, IMO, is an episode that essentially sets up no really new tangents, nor answers any existing ones. This is quintessentially that.

I'll give a more in depth review later, but suffice it to say, this was quite average for nuBSG.

10. Agent Richard07

I've noticed that whenever Bill looks at the ship's crumbling structure, he has this odd looking surprised look on this face. Anyone else find it, I dunno... odd looking? :lol:

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A huge disappointment. There are only so many episodes left and there are way too many questions left just to have Ellen be her normal bitch self.

12. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

yeah, the episode got an average from me. First one for the entire 4.5 run.

I loved ellen coming back, and I thought the loss of Six's baby was really well executed, but nothing really happened. The story consisted of the following events;

1. Yay! Ellen is back.
    2. Boo! Boomer is back!
    3. Adama watches some welding.
    4. Ellen finds out about Caprica Six's baby daddy
    5. Baltar's Bimbo Brigaide and the Case of Natural Selection
    6. Adama watches some more welding.
    7. Caprica Six miscarries. Hilarity does not ensue.

It was interesting to watch and I know its setting up the final arc, but I probably wouldn't be scrambling to rewatch this one.

Although I did like the Gaius jr. bit and the shots of ellen in the raptor that were identical to her first appearance back to season one.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That was one of my big issues with the episode that dragged it down, for me. Last week they seemed to be setting Ellen up for some real character development and moving beyond what she was before. And tonight, in very short order, she was right back to her old as if nothing had changed at all. It really was as if there was no real point in making her the fifth-- other than adding some cheap drama to the Tigh/Caprica-6 plotline.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Average, certainly not bad. Well-performed, and I'm glad most of the issues regarding Ellen's sudden return were tackled. It's interesting that Anders resumed brain activity almost as soon as Liam died--could it be he "downloaded" in some way?

Not a whole lot to comment on, just good, solid drama, but nothing out of the ordinary for BSG. After the rollercoaster of the last few weeks, this one feels like a breather to get us ready for the home stretch.

15. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Average. Soapiness of the soap opera left suds on the screen. Hogan shined through it, though.

Head Six is back and Baltar doesn't question her absence. Baltar is lame now. Still amusing, but lame.

Again, we write out a kid (well, fetus) so that Hera will be center of attention again...or so it seems.

Ellen acknowledges the epic bro-mance that is Bill-Saul. :p

Over 2,000 years old and the final five are petty bickering twits. So much for the greatness of A.I.

The Olmos boxer at after the credits was the best part. ;)

16. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

Meh average. This is going back to the old Battlesoap Galoperica routine. Next week looks pretty good though.

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Very fair point. They had built up the Ellen/Saul thing well in the season premeire and Ellen is back to her old bitch self. Ellen/Saul is a lot more interesting than Saul/Caprica.

But then again, Saul and Ellen always fought.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Y'see now I'm worried. Jane Espensen will be showrunning Caprica and this is the episode she gives us as her final BSG one. Now, it's not a bad episode at all but it's just not nearly as good as the others this season. Ellen and Tigh's reunion was played for sex and not emotion. I was not nearly as moved by it as I hoped I'd be. A real bummer.

The end scene was fantastic, though, and knocked it up to the above average. Still, it didn't give me much faith that Espensen is a good enough writer to run Caprica.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Average. Ellen did this episode in for me.

20. 0 of ln(kirk^3)

0 of ln(kirk^3) Lieutenant Junior Grade

I voted below average but I meant poor. Filler episode. If Zarek and Gaeta had resurrected somehow each claiming to be the final fifth I would have enjoyed that script better.