Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.4%
  3. Average

46.7%
  4. Below Average

14.2%
  5. Poor

5.7%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And...

And...

It's a law of the Internet. Okay, it's just a function of what fiction is, and individual taste. De gustibus non est disputandum.

My favorite TV series have really never been the reliable ones, but those shows over the years where the high points have really excited, moved and intrigued me. I think I'm constitutionally disposed to endure some real mountains of bullshit if there are a few diamonds buried in there.

2. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I've known Dennis for years, and I know this to be true.

3. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

QFT
    That is the principle a show should care about being entertaining first and its "message" if any second.

Sharr

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

and "Trying for that writing Emmy" should come in a distant last. ;)

5. Sharr Khan

Seriously chances are if while you're writing/creating and your goal is to get an award for it its gonna end up blowing anyway. Best to just aim for making the best product you can that archives whatever artistic goals you have for yourself. Not that an Emmy/Saturn/Oscar or whatever is a bad thing to get if in the process you've done what you set out to do.

Soapboxey scifi to me tends to fall flat.

Sharr

6. Thankfully, The Wire was incredibly entertaining, in addition to being brilliant, without a single "average" (or worse) episdoe :techman:

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Wire was incredibly entertaining, but we fundamentally disagree on this point. Television, just as film, has to have aspirations above and beyond entertainment. Moreover, the notion that reality is dull I can't subscribe to. If it's escapism you're looking for, I admit neither The Wire nor Battlestar Galactica are going to provide you with much.

8. Sharr Khan

Its not "escapism" I want, its heavy handed soapboxing and agenda mongering that turns me off. Even if I might agree with the point being made, to put that ahead of and at the expense of a shows entertainment value seems downright dumb to me.

What began to drive me away from later day versions of Trek was its first concern often seemed to be whatever the message of the week rather then character development or plot. I don't watch tv to be talked down to or have someones propaganda shoved down my throat. If I have an inclition that's what a show runner thinks his point in being is I will avoid their show at all costs.

Some how I don't think a shows "message" is on the table at a pitch meeting. And if it is, maybe that should be looked into with a bit of skepticism. Then what's being produced is propaganda not entertainment.

*I don't recall saying "reality is dull"? I hardly think that, its varied and interesting, full of irony.

Sharr

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Another poster said "reality was dull," not you. :)

And I agree that heavy handed agendas are ineffective. But those accomplished with tact and subtlety (something Star Trek didn't always accomplish) are very effective, and usually make for my favorite television programs.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I must be crazy because I thought this episode was fantastic.

It struck me as one of those "calm before the storm" type episodes. Not a whole lot happened, but it put the characters into place for things to come, and it had some really decent emotional moments.

Ellen is awesome. She was just as petty as ever up until the point where Tigh needed her the most. Then, as much as it probably pained her, she was there for him and Caprica at the end.

Tyrol was interesting. He's seemed more lost than anyone ever since he found out he was a Cylon. I have a feeling he voted to leave because it was a chance to reunite with Boomer. It's hard to blame her for her past mistakes now that he is a Cylon himself.

Baltar the Humanitarian. I love it.

The few scenes at the end were pretty powerful, too. I loved Tigh and Adama's embrace. Who know Tigh would be so excited to being a father?

And the reveal that the Cylons have been putting their dead pictures on the wall...very interesting.

Overall, I think it definitely set some up some interesting dynamics for the remaining episodes. I'm actually surprised at the mediocre reviews it's getting.

11. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

^I can only say...I pretty much agree with everything you said. It gave us a lot of info on the Cylons as people without being on-the-nose. I think that approach actually works much better for this show than other approaches. *coughNoExitcoughcough*

12. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well as much as I love this series 'Deadlock' didn't do much for me, and here I was so upset with myself for missing it last Friday

After watching it a few times...meh. I was disappointed in how quickly Ellen degenerated to her old scheming self…she was so confident and self assured on Cavils ship.

Neat how Laura observed the Cylon morning the loss of another and understood that it was a significant event.

How can everyone forgot Anders warning NOT to leave the ship in order to stop events from continually repeating? Something big will happen on the Galitica if Sol stays.

As far as giving the Baltar crew heavy weapons goes…probably not the smartest move but he has been operating from a more moral foundation lately…and it would seem Adama is losing control of his own men

I wondered about the Mutineers’when I saw Starbuk at the bar alone but got the heads up in the podcast thread.

Deadlock’ was OK, a show we needed we see, imo it just wasn’t compelling like we’ve grown use to this season

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They didn't forget. Ellen and Tory didn't seem to care. Tyrol had his own personal agenda, but made sure everyone remembered Anders' warning. Saul is the only one who really listened, I think.

14. anti-matter

^well OK that's true and that's what I was getting to...some are ready to cut and run.

According to Anders everyone's salvation lays with staying on the Galactica. So why are they so quick to discount that?

Things are improving for the Cylons in the fleet and once the BSG is repaired they are stronger together against Cavil.

15. anti-matter

"Helen.. you're the fifth?"

Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a really impressive softon throughout the airing.

17. CaptainKit

CaptainKit Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Below Average. The storyline is absolutely incomprehensible. I don't know where this series is going but I stopped caring a long time ago. Yes, I'm watching it until the end because I've invested all these years and want to see how it ends but I have no emotional ties to any of the characters anymore.

Too bad. BSG started with a bang and is going out in a fizzle.

18. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decided to go with "Average" for this one. It's a shame, really, because a lot of it is better than average, I think.
    But what really pulls it down for me is the way Ellen goes on when she returns to Galactica. I understand that there would still be some of the old Ellen in there, and I can imagine that returning to the man you loved in two lives but who also killed you and who is/was expecting a child with one of your "children" must be quite confusing.
    At the same time, I really have the impression that the "new" Ellen we'd been introduced to in "No Exit" would have gotten over it quicker, handled it with more grace and dignity. I think she simply slips too far here.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is remarkable...how?