Battlestar Galactica 4x15: "No Exit"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

64.8%
  2. Above Average

26.6%
  3. Average

5.1%
  4. Below Average

3.1%
  5. Poor

0.4%
  1. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mind blowing, so much information I'm gonna need a little while to process what it all means.

Kate Vernon and Dean Stockwell had a great bit of contentious chemistry in those scenes. Ellen truly is the mother of all Cylons.

Danial hmmm...

Sharr

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

This episode should have been called Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know About NuBSG But Were Afraid to Ask.

3. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

They actually do a verbally exposition heavy story AND make it about the characters.

So...the timeline:

1. Kobol is abandoned 4000 years ago. Humans to the Colonies. Cylons to Earth.

2. 3000 years ago, the Cylons stop and build the Temple of Hopes.

3. 2000 years ago, "the Five" rediscover resurrection tech. War with the Centurions breaks out. They are transposed to "the Colony." They leave to find humanity to warn them, because they believe in the cycle of time.

4. Along the way, the find the Temple of Hopes.

5. They arrive too late because of no jump drives. 1000's of years pass but they remain young. The First Cylon War is going on.

6. The Five agree to give the Cylons resurrection tech, create skinjobs, etc. in exchange for them stopping the war, learning the Centurions believe in one true loving god.

7. They make Eight models. John turns on them, kills Daniel (Seven), suffocates the Five, blocks access to their memories, and sends them to the Colonies with hopes of teaching them about humanity's evil, killing them in the Apocalypse, and then gaining their approval when they resurrect.

8. The story as we know it.

Okay, that actually makes sense.

Now, with all of that...what's missing in the cycle of time...The Centurions now have free will. If so, then I suspect Cavil's group (and maybe the others) will wind up with a Centurion problem soon.

I'm going to guess that Daniel is the Virtual Cylon. It's an artist, so it manifests itself by way of projection,and we know Cylons project different environments. The box may be permanent, but the mind may still be active. The Five saw different "warnings," a woman, a man, etc. So, perhaps that's Daniel trying to warn them, being perceived differently.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's pretty much what we got. Hope you liked it anyway. :lol:

I know I did.

Anyway... Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. That's 3 excellent episodes in a row. This show has done drama AND mythology very well lately and I expect more come next week.

I found myself actually leaning forward a lot of the time trying to listen and absorb what was said. I guess I really can say I was on the edge of my seat. :p We didn't get a tease, we got answers and lots of them.

I was right about something too. I mean besides Ellen's scenes being in the past. I asked myself this... With a whole planet full of Cylons on Earth, why did these five resurrect? I figured that they were five researchers in a facility who found a way to reincarnate elsewhere and did so after the attack. I got that part right.

I was also glad to see Dean Stockwell back. I didn't know when he'd show up again. He really delivered. Loved the Cavil stuff. Looks like pretty much everything that went on in the show was his doing. The doing of an angry child. And by the way, that mother & son moment between him and Ellen was fantastic and quite believable despite how it looked. I also liked his earlier rant about hating his humanness and wanting to be a machine. It was a reversal of a common theme about a man-made creation wanting to be more human.

Another big surprise was how they worked out the No.7 problem. I can't wait to see where this Daniel thing goes. For now it looks like a clever move.

P.S. I wish they'd get those episode descriptions right. Anders wasn't on the basestar.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Wow that was great. Excellent, in fact. Season 4.5 has been so consistently top notch so far, that it kinda pisses me off that seasons 3 and 4.0 were overall so pale in comparison. I'm not sure I could have handled this level of awesomeness for two full seasons though.

All these revelations about the nature of the skinjobs and the five, the one true God being a Centurion concept...wow. Dean Stockwell was downright scary in this episode. And having the Chief back where he belongs...and Doc Cottle! Hell it deserves an "Excellent" just for having the "I'm a PC" guy playing a brain surgeon operating on a Toaster. So many levels of irony there! Add in a nice Roslin/Lee scene, and the Old Man's great line to the Chief at the end..."Do whatever it takes to save our girl." Just awesome. Frak I am going to miss this show!!

6. Peacemaker

Now we really do know what the frak is up with BSG!

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cavil ranting about being stuck in a human body...sounds familiar. ;)

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

So, back to the timeline here and all, let's see if we can sort this out, correct me if I'm wrong:

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away (ok, maybe not that far away) the 13 Tribes set out from Kobol. The 13th tribe were all Cylons created by the other 12 tribes, and that 13th tribe settled Earth.

Move on through time and the 13th tribe of Cylons on Earth creates their own mechanical Cylons, who rebel against them. The "final 5" were working on "re-inventing" resurrection technology and parked a ship in orbit around Earth so when the nukes hit they resurrected.

Then they set off in their non-FTL capable ship at sublight speeds to find the other 12 colonies to warn them about creating mechanical Cylons, only by the time they got there, 2,000 years later due to time dilation, it was too late.

So they met the Centurions who had already tried to make skinjobs, but only got as far as the Hybrids. So the "final 5" helped them the rest of the way and created 8 Cylon models, and for a time there was peace, until the skinjobs decided to attack the 12 colonies of course and then the final 5 were killed by Cavil and sent to live with the humans cause he is an ass.

That sound about right?

9. jcvmf214

jcvmf214 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Is it me or did RDM try to tie up a lot of loose ends in this episode. I mean that is a lot of information to pack in one hour. The final 5 episodes would have been nice if he stretched it out to 2 hour episodes each.

10. Sharr Khan

The way I read the meaning there: The Five showed up and found their own concept of a "The One True God" reflected in the Old Style Centurions not that the notion originated with them since it appears Ellen believes in the One God as well.

Sharr

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Apparently, all those thousands of years ago, the word 'Cylon' meant something completely different than it does now. Interesting.

12. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...I need to watch the episode again. There was so much info coming so fast...

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It does explain why the war was ended so abruptly. One minute, Lt. Adama and Galactica are fighting a bloody battle with the Cylons on that ice planet and the next, an armistice is signed and the war is over. I guess the Guardians we saw in Razor went their own route.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Oh I also think Sam was starting to mention things about the head people before he went in for surgery.

15. Sharr Khan

Hey I know what you mean it was one long data stream of information. I'm sure things will become clearer next week and I bet they're saving some answers for "The Plan" as well.

Ellen just rocks!

Sharr

16. Agent Richard07

They reprogrammed the temple to display their images right? That's what I got.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I was really intregued by the 8 models comment. If my math is correct, 8 plus 5 is 13, but there are only 12 models in which we know of. Does that confirm that Starbuck is the last model?

This episode was fantastic, but there is so much to digest that I can't write too much about it now.

18. Agent Richard07

Now we finally know where the skinjobs came from.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Danielle is the model Cavil killed, whoever he is.

20. Peacemaker

Was a little unclear on that one AgentRichard07. I'm going to rewatch it in half an hour...and I bet everybody else here will too :D.

Daniel...OT prophet of the apocalypse. I say that's the Virtual model.