Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.6%
  2. Above Average

17.0%
  3. Average

2.4%
  4. Below Average

0.3%
  5. Poor

0.7%
  1. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

^

On that note, did anyone else think of Home, Part 1 when Adama wanted to let the fleet split apart into those who followed him and those who didn't? God knows what would have happened if he went through with that threat and Gaeta, in his haste and anxiety, seemed poised to do exactly that.

Also, some scenes struck be as a tad unbelievable. Specifically, almost any scene involving a Galactica marine. Are they trained killing machines or storm troopers? I mean, really, Romo Lampkin taking down Michael fucking Strahan with a pen?

Also, did Adama and co. kill Narcho? Adama ordered him tied up, so did they perform an execution or just tie him up? I imagine they didn't really have time for any drawn-out killings so they just tied and left him there.

2. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Best. Ending. Ever.

Only way it could've been better would be an ole out the airlock push.

3. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some quick-hit thoughts regarding "Blood on the Scales"...

- Great seeing Captain "Brig Rat" Kelly's change of heart. Helping the Admiral re-take his ship is certainly one way to get back in his good graces. After this episode, I doubt they send him back to the brig.

- I'm interested in seeing the fates of the rest of the mutaneers. Though it's clear some might be forgiven to an extent (Kelly, certain marines... maybe Narcho and others) I think there are still some who deserve execution. You can't just forget about the roles that the Sunshine Bros. (AKA: Gage and Mr. YEE-HAW from Pegasus), Seelix, Racetrack, and others played in the coup. You can't. I'll be very disappointed if the show doesn't wrap up the fates of the mutaneers in a satisfactory way.

- Though I liked Gaeta and Zarek's "Hey, at least we tried" moment at the end, as well as how Gaeta's itchy stump symbolized his nagging conscience, part of me wanted to see both of them just shot in the head when Adama re-took the CIC...

At any rate, those frakkers got what they had coming to them.

Curtains, baby.

- Laura's awesome vengeance speech was one of my favorite moments in this episode -- or any other, for that matter. The pep talk she gave to the rebel Cylons was pretty good, too.

- I love how the first thing Romo went for were his sunglasses. :cool:

- Also, can we just re-name this smiley (:cool:) "Romo Lampkin"? :D

- Hey, we finally got to see the FTL drive! That was awesome. Big, complicated machinery. You certainly see what they mean when they talk about "spinning" it up. Very, very cool.

- When Tyrol was trying to stop the drive from spinning up, I thought for a moment that Michael Angeli (the writer for this episode) might call back to Tyrol's line on New Caprica about throwing yourself into machinery to stop something vile. Even if it doesn't make 100% sense in retrospect, I was a little worried that they might call back to that line and have Tyrol do something crazy -- like desperately jumping into the FTL drive to stop Galactica from getting away. I wouldn't put it past the Galactica writers to do something like that.

- I was royally confused by what those marks were the first time I saw this episode. Were they a symbol? Scorch marks? Claw marks?

I now see that they're likely scorches/gashes that symbolize how Galactica, as a ship, is starting to deteriorate. It'll be weird seeing the old girl bite the dust, no matter how she goes (hopefully in battle). I mean... really weird. After all this time spent we've spent with her...

Anyway, let me be the next in a long line of people to say: Can't wait 'til next week!

4. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

This forum would be perfect for discussing BSG if it weren't for all the spoiler freaks.

5. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forgot to mention that I had a good laugh at seeing Aaron Glenn -- in all his season four glory -- drag his ass through the insides of the ship. I think it's resonable to believe that miniseries Tyrol could have pulled that feat off. (When, you know, he was 300 pounds lighter). But season four Tyrol? When he weighs about 600,000 times more than he did in the miniseries?

Hell, it's no surprise the Galactica is falling apart!

It's because of him! :lol:

6. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Excellent.

7. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Jesus fucking Christ. The four episodes since their return from the hiatus have been some of the best they've ever done.

Was anybody else expecting Gaeta to kill Zarek towards the end? I was sort of hoping he'd be able to redeem himself there...

And just something that caught my attention...Romo was sans sunglasses this time. Has he dropped his cool facade after revealing his vulnerabilities in "Sine Que Non"?

8. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aaron Douglas

9. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

Using Narcho, a someone from Pegasus to symbolize the feelings of the mutineers, was a superb touch. Kind of seals the final saga of Pegasus.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

I didn't remember him either, but apparently he was one of the higher-ranked people in the bridge... until he decided to to go all mad bomber and try to kill every lawyer who represented Baltar.

11. Marcus Porcius Cato

were the marines that Narcho used to shoot Adama Cain's Razors?

12. philbob

philbob Commander Red Shirt

the podcast for this one will be good

13. philbob

philbob Commander Red Shirt

probably teh most satisfying scene in this show in a very long time

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

How would you know? You don't watch the damn show enough to know what you're talking about!

15. Uncle Tobias

Uncle Tobias Lieutenant Red Shirt

He had them ontop of his head when the marine's first dragged him off, and one of the marines snatched them off him. Then after he killed said marine, he took them back. :)

16. Marcus Porcius Cato

very poigant to see this man breaking down in the memorial hall, extrodinary symbolism.

17. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome.

I think I've said that every week.

When Adama and the crew re-took the CIC I was whooping. Loved the way he started off with a few men and it got bigger and bigger as he bowled down the coridoor. Also, loved the way he called for the Cylon baseship and one of the comms crew clipped :

"Right away sir!"

A complete change from the Gaeta administration where everyone was mumbling around. Lots of little touches in there to show that, despite the insurrection, ADAMA is the fucking boss.

Great to see Captain Kelly back too - he's in the pilot for crying out loud. How can people have forgotten him? :D

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

And then on the Adama side you had the deck chief who came across from Pegasus (the guy who was a civie till press ganged by Cain)

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Another Excellent from me.

I do not quite understand what happened with Tyrol there with the marks on the walls but I'm sure that and what happens to Anders will be cleared up.

20. Marcus Porcius Cato

Hatch seemed uneven on this epsode