Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.6%
  2. Above Average

17.0%
  3. Average

2.4%
  4. Below Average

0.3%
  5. Poor

0.7%
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wow. What an unsettling episode. From Zarek killing the quorum to the execution at the end I was on pins and needles. I'm not going to lie, I felt bad for Gaeta and Zarek in the end. Zarek's last look to Gaeta was very touching in an odd sort of way.

Anyhow, definately an "Excellent." Can't wait to see what next week's offers.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Looks like he refused it this time. He was too concerned about what was going on.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Which I think was the whole point of that scene that clearly went over people's heads.

4. omnirad

omnirad Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gaeta's burning itch, in his stump, in his conscience, was finally quelled. By death.

Notice how often he was rubbing his ex-leg during the coup. And at the final moment of his execution he said 'It's stopped'. Nice metaphoric writing.

5. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Oh No...I LOVED it. I had a couple of friends back in highschool who used to say that all the time kinda like an inside joke. They did it soo often that I think for the rest of my life I will say Excrement instead of Excellent. Like I said...If I could have given it a higer vote I would have...
    And I thought about the claw marks in the engine room. I believe that Galactica is indeed falling apart. I noticed tonight and maybe the last few episodes when they showed Galactica from space that she was awfully dirty. I kept thinking that they must have had to scrub her like a naval ship to keep her clean and since they've been on the run they haven't had time to do that kind of maintenance...

6. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it - though I can tell this one's gonna be one I only watch a once or twice on dvd cause it is unsettling.

Sharr

7. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What becomes of Racetrack? She's too sexy to die.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that she can race on my track any time amirite fellas?

8. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode. Although.... the executions of Zareck and Gaeta at the end are the most horrifying parts of it. Where as their trial? Their due process of the law? Isn't the whole point of why a coup is bad that it happens in defiance of the rule of law?

Also: Adama and Roslyn no longer have any Quorum other than Lee. They're effectively a new little dictatorship -- a King and a Queen and their Prince to rule the kingdom. Very scary.

9. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Richard Hatch? Is that you?

Yeah, the point was Baltar (Baltar!!!) has grown as a person. He was concerned with someone else for a change.

Indeed.

Anywho, this was great episode. It was good to see Kelly. I liked his shift from the traitor side. Perhaps he'll stop being a douchebag. Also, good to see Zarak and Geata get there's. BSG is back and as badass as ever.

Aaron McGuire

10. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I expect Lee is now VP and a new Quorum, perhaps one even with a Cylon on it to be installed pretty soon if not by the next episode.

There may or may not have been a trial I think this is likely a case of cutting to the chase with limited air time.

Sharr

11. cybersoldier

cybersoldier Commander Red Shirt

This episode goes to show you how good this series is currently, and how much I'm going to miss seeing new episodes every friday when the series finale arrives. The way Geata goes out is something I wasn't expecting to occur this season but the way the past three episodes including this one, you wanted something to happen to him, and at the end, you look at the character and think was there another way, was there something he could have done to change his fate. After four seasons you look back and this decisions he did and you could to the conclusion; no he couldn't.

12. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Just wow.

It's so great to see the final episodes living up to their hype. It's so great to see so much character action and resolution.

I am so going to weep like a little girl when this show is over. It's one of the finest examples of story-telling in history, modern or otherwise. Even it's screw ups (like a lot of season 3 due to studio interference) are better than most shows best moments.

I grinned ear-to-ear when everyone marched with Adama -- even some of his almost executioners. I cheered when they retook the CIC. I got choked up when Adama called Roslin.

I, too, was convinced this story would go on for the entire final episodes, so it's good and weird to see it 'resolved' so quickly.

Geata pulled a Darth Vader at the end, ordering weapons hold (like how Vader earned a moments redemption, when he sided with Luke against the Emperor). Still, he did have to die. As did Zarek. I really want to see that punk from Pegasus, who filled Geata's station this whole time and whacked Helo over the head, get airlocked though. Unlikely as he's a minor character, but I've hated that smug frakker since we first saw him on the Pegasus!

I'm glad to see I was right, though not surprised, that the final five have resurrection and Helen is coming back. I wonder what answers she'll bring? And who else with her, if anyone? The clip went from her in a resurrection tank to a Centurion, but I don't believe the Centurion is from the same scene - rather a cut away meant to make us think he is done just for the ad.

I can't wait for next week. Again. I can't wait for the DVDs, either, because you know there is so much more on them.

I liked seeing Kelley again. I liked that he picked the winning side when push came to shove. I wonder if he'll have earned reinstatement, despite the fact he killed Baltar's first lawyer? I don't know if we'll ever find out.

And yeah, WTF was that thing the Chief saw?

My theory is some sort of near-catastrophic damage to the FTL drive.

13. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He didn't like killing, but was ambivalent to it. What zarek loved was power.

14. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Loved every minute of it!

I especially loved the stride to the command deck by Adama with those who were loyal simply falling in behind him until he had a MOB!

I loved the 'lawyer' telling him to STALL to give his supporters time and then when it comes down to his own skin later or saving Anders ...he swears and does the decent thing ! (I love his character :) )

All in all if you can't tell I gave this episode an excellant! (Voted right this time too :) ))

Vons

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  15. I thought the scene was set post-sex. Six looked naked.

16. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

Excellent ep.

Racetrack, you are dead to me, DEAD! :lol:

17. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fact he was sleeping makes it seem that it was post-sex. But he did refuse another round.

18. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I gave it an above average. Another good action episode and very entertaining. A lot of people in this thread seem to rank it very high, but personally I wouldn't quite put it up there with the absolute best of the series. However, I particularly liked Gaeta's last two scenes -- "Restaurants shaped like food..." -- Very moving. I also appreciate that his last conversation was with Gaius.

These will probably be my last words on the episode. I'm avoiding reading and participating in the thread as last week's episode thread was filled with spoilers from the promos (which I actively avoid) unmarked by very, very selfish people.

19. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rewatching the episode made me think about Gaeta's comment of ten ships out of thirty-five siding with Roslin (not counting Galactica or Colonial One presumably). Does anyone else find that number low?

Back in early Season 2 the fleet had over seventy ships. Were that many ships really scrapped during the year on New Caprica? According to the Battlestar Wiki ten ships were destroyed during Seasons 2-4 so we're talking about 25 ships disassembled for the settlement.

I guess it's possible most of the small and non-essential ships were dismantled but it just seems odd to get rid of half the ships by choice.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Two questions:

1) Why did they think Tighe was dead?

2) How did Roslin get the Cylons on her side? Did I miss something? It seemed as if they were planning to jump away... What happened?

Regular fleet members must be totally paranoid by now.

"So...Let me get this straight...Admiral Adama, President Roslin, and Lee Adama all want to join with the Cylons."

"Right."

"Vice President Zarek doesn't like that..."

"Right."

"The rest of the quorum doesn't like that..."

"Right..."

"So, supposedly, some sort of coup attempt is made against Adama and Roslin."

"Right."

"Zarek ends up dead."

"Right."

"Admiral Adama lives."

"Right."

"Laura Roslin lives."

"Right."

"Lee Adama lives."

"Right."

"The rest of the quorum dies."

"Right."

"So, moral of the story...Let's not get on Adama and Roslin's bad sides."