Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.6%
  2. Above Average

17.0%
  3. Average

2.4%
  4. Below Average

0.3%
  5. Poor

0.7%
  1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

Losses would be even higher than that. The fleet's population was boosted by several thousand Pegasus crewmembers plus however many of Sam's rebel group they brought back.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I thought I read somewhere that Cavil may not actually be Number One but took on the number when he took over the Cylon Leadership to make himself seem more important. I think it was something that RDM said in an interview. Not sure though so don't quote me.

Anyway here are the numbers:

01: Cavil
    02: Leoben
    03: D'Anna
    04: Simon
    05: Doral
    06: If you don't know who Six is have you EVER seen the show?
    07: UNKNOWN
    08: Boomer/Athena
    09: UNKNOWN
    10: UNKNOWN
    11: UNKNOWN
    12: UNKNOWN

3. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thankfully people seem to be better about that, this time around. I stopped reading this forum altogether during both season 2 and 3 until the season was over, at one point. I'd hate to have to do the same thing again.

... Though I will avoid reading anything posted in the live commentary threads (I like reading people's immediate reactions to the actual episode) from now on after around :55 pm since some people apparently can't resist to post their reactions to the promos openly (without spoiler code) so I now know a little more about the next episode than I wanted ... which is nothing at all. (I loathe spoilers of any kind.)

4. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

The model numbers may not be order of design, but just randomly assigned to the various models. Sometimes a number is just a number.

5. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favorite part was when Narcho said he respected Adama but he hated the Cylon.

I mean on one hand you had Gaeta and Zarek's point of view, then on the other you had Adamas and Roslin's. But what we didn't see much of was the middle, which encompassed most of the crew.

And I think Narcho's pov was a true dilemma. Torn between two sides.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

- It remains to be seen, although it was over his heart, and his eyes were covered - who has no eyes and no heart? Is baltar really becoming a prophet?

- Despite Athena's vision-induced paranoia of a Six taking her daughter, she does not protest Caprica-Six carrying Hera while Sharon supports Helo. Ironically, Caprica-Six is the only character who has been seen specifically committing infanticide (not counting Baltar's dream about Adama drowning Hera).

From Battlestar Wiki:
    • What will become of the other mutineers (Racetrack, Narcho, Seelix, etc)? Will Adama follow through with his promise of "no forgiveness"?
    • Will Kelly be allowed to resume his duties on Galactica?
    • Who will take over Gaeta's duties?
    • What repercussions will the Quorum's assassination have on the Fleet?
    • What is the significance of the damage Tyrol discovers in the engine room? Has it been there long, or is it a result of the improper shut down of the FTL drive? Do other areas of the ship show similar signs of damage?
    • Is the same structural deficiency present near the other FTL drive?
    • In the Miniseries, Colonel Tigh tells Lt. Gaeta to "spin up FTL drives 1 and 2". Why did Tyrol's deactivation of one FTL drive stop Gaeta from ordering the other's use? Is the other FTL drive still functional?
      • The ship may need both FTL drives to make a proper jump.
    • Will Anders survive his injuries?
    • Will the rebel Cylons become less trusting of the humans as a result of this mutiny? Or will the they be more inclined to trust certain humans, such as Roslin, since she managed to convince them to stay and follow her leadership?
    • What was that device Roslin and Leoben were using to communicate with the rest of the Fleet?
    • Why was Lee Adama - as opposed to Roslin - present at Zarek and Gaeta's execution?
    • What will be done to the 25 ships who did not obey Roslin's order to power down their FTL drives?
    • Will the FTL upgrades proceed once order has been brought back completely?
    • Will there be a faction that will attempt to portray Zarek or Gaeta as martyrs?
    • Will Helo survive his injuries?
    • How will Baltar's new-found sense of responsibility toward his flock change his behaviour?
    • Will the Cylons' assistance of, and subordination to, President Roslin (and/or Colonial political leaders' fears of being associated with the failed coup d'état) secure them the citizenship and Quorum representation they seek?
    • What is the nature of the dream Baltar has of Adama's execution?
    Other questions I have:

- What happened to the rest of the fleet? From over 70 ships mid-season 2 to only 37 (including Galactica and the Baseship) now, yet the population has only dropped 10,000 people - have the remaining ships gathered almost twice their original load of people since season two?

- Is Adama now the dying leader? A few throwaway scenes in the previous episode showed Adama struggling, while Roslin is now gaining strength. Then again, the damage to Galactica seems to be indicating the 'leader' of the fleet may not make it.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Only 1752 from Pegasus. Sam's team were hit before being rescued, couldn't have been more than 30.

8. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only one who think Tory burned her bridges with Roslin here?

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

The Galactica goes where Adama tells it to go. It's an extension of Adama. Unless we find out that the Galactica is alive and has free will and is actually the one determining the path of this fleet -- Gods help us if they do something that silly -- then it's not a leader.

I think people are getting caught up on the "dying" part. Yes, Galactica is "dying." But just about everyone on this show is either dying or dead, so anyone's a candidate based on that. Well, anyone who can be considered a leader, that is.

10. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazing episde and chilling ending. I kept expecting Adama to get shot knowing the way this show goes. I feel like I need a drink after watching it.
    I liked seeing Captain Kelly back. I was disappointed that the character was used the way he was in Season 3 but it's nice to see him redeemd.

As for Zarek and his whole arc. Pretty Fu*king perfect. I had thought they wouldn't tie up his arc this season since there is just so much happening between finding Earth, the Cylon Civil War and the final Cylons. They did the character justice and didn't let go of that promise of Season 1 that he would one day make his move.

Season 4.5 is a kick ass season. This show is the best.

The answer is rather simple. The piece of Paper is over his heart so they know where to aim when they shoot.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have to admit that I'm surpised a couple of Americans would of remembered that line but will admit that I (an Australian) did actually think of it when I saw the scene :)

As for the Galactica being the dying leader we have the closing narration from the original series

"fleeing Cylon tyranny the last battlestar, Galacticas leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on lonely quest. A shining planet known as Earth".

Not Commander Adama as the CO leades a rag-tag fleet.

12. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was the original series.

I'm a die-hard BSG fan, and if they make the Galactica the dying leader, I will reject that idea as total stupidity.

13. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was good entertainment for an hour.

Doesn't need to be anymore than that ;)

14. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

That's a line you give a bad ass with no remorse for what he's done. It would've been perfect for Zarek.

The 'Breaker's' a classic. :techman:

"We caught them and we shot them under rule three oh three."

15. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent. Very, very powerful again. Terrific tense scenes as well as those priceless quiet character moments such as the one between Baltar and Gaeta.

I think I haven't really fathomed that this show is ending even though the writing is clearly on the wall.

16. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Didn't that bridge burn down ages ago?

"I'm no longer taking orders from you."

17. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

What an end for Gaeta.

Felt sorry for him at the end. Always did what he thought was best for the fleet.

His life turned to shat the moment Baltar won the election, and Baltar knows it. That was a great scene between the 2 of them.

From idealistic, loyal officer, to President Baltar's right-hand man, to being executed by firing squad for mutiny. All in the space of 4 years.

18. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

Nope, I mean the black woman. Probably Tory, come to think of it, this has been the first ep that has really made me pay attention since 4.0, hence me losing my grip of "who's who". I ruled out it being anyone on Galactica, as she seemed to speak as a Cylon, but just realised that Tory *is* one of the final five...

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that people tend to personify things and glorify them as much as they do individuals. That's especially true with countries or institutions. Maybe the Galactica itself will be put in that light.

"America is fighting terrorism."

"Babylon 5 was our last best hope for peace."

"Galactica led the fleet to our new home."

I don't know if that helps.

Of course, maybe it is Adama who's the dying leader. Or maybe it'll be Roslin or Baltar. Or maybe all the prophecies are a load of nonsense and there's nothing at all to any of this. I don't have a preference either way, but Galactica could work as a powerful symbol if they choose to make it one.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  20. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

BTW the six with Baltar has been named as "Lida".

but isn't there another new six called Sonja?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009