Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

82.4%
  2. Above Average

13.0%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

3. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

The whole episode, my fiancee and I were like :eek:

It will be so fun to rewatch this season one after another. . . no week-long or 9 month wait!

4. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

5. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

For the love of Christ can some of you people stick to talking about THIS episode and not the promos for next week?

Excellent episode (although I may only have picked that because there's such a gap between 'Excellent' and 'Above Average'). Not the best of the series, or season, but heartpounding and ugly. It really was difficult to watch loyal crewmembers putting bullets in each other so readily.

Also, I was all for Starbuck putting a cap in the coward marine. Not because I'm bloodthirsty, but because (as Athena says) you pick a side and STICK. You don't just cut and run after being involved in a mutiny.

One thing I want to say was how on the fence I was regarding the mutiny. Part of me sided with Adama/Roslin because, well, they are the main characters and we know their circumstances better than the average fleet citizen would. But the other part sided with Gaeta because, well, Adama/Roslin dragged them nowhere and then wanted to start an alliance with the Cylons who put them all out there in the first place. But after seeing the mutiny playout, it's very difficult to continue to side with Gaeta/Zarek. It got ugly FAST. I doubt Gaeta was hoping for that kind of bloodshed, but nonetheless it happened. I have a feeling that while he may not regret overthrowing Adama, he might soon regret the measures he took to do it.

6. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

I think the sad thing about this episode are the moments where, in the background, you could hear shots being fired and people (probably) screaming their last breath.

Roslin's survivor whiteboard is gonna need a serious update when this mutiny is over. If and when Cavil's forces turn up, there may not be as many humans to nuke as they thought.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Gaeta's secret that Baltar was talking about, is that referring to the webisodes or something else?

8. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I enjoyed (or was horrified) by this bit as well. I remember a couple of weeks ago I made a joke to a friend after Sometimes a Great Notion about how the Galactica pretty much looked like Dante's Inferno what with all the agonized, despondent bodies lying about. (It was funny to me at least.) This week was really more of the same, except with more blood. Galactica really is the ship of hell right now and I love it.

Also, I have to further say that I can't help but feel bad for Gaeta. Zarek seems to be setting him up as fall guy (and maybe not even intentionally, which is more sad), and I had a feeling about it ever since they shook hands in the brig last episode. Zarek may have ideals, but his means have never, ever been bloodless. I remember back in 'Home' parts 1 and 2 where he started a mini mutiny on Kobol which resulted in the death of his adamant partner. He's not an evil man, and he's not necessarily wrong with his goals, but he's the absolute worst candidate to be the official opposition to the current government or any government for that matter.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

My review last night was a bit half assed and I had more comments to say about this episode.

Is it next Friday yet? I ask because the episode last night was one of the best episodes of the season, and maybe series.

I originally wasn't sure if I would like this whole Mutiny plot since it kind of takes away from learning some of the other stuff like Starbuck's situation, the Opera House, If the crew will find a new home, and some more revelations on Ellen being the 5th Cylon (Yeah, that episode happened a few weeks ago, so it's not necessarily a spoiler). Still, the way this episode was done made me forget some of those stories because it was so much intensity jam packed into one hour. I loved how Gaeta pulled off the mutiny, and Adama's reaction to it was great. There will be no forgiveness, no amnesty, but right now that's probably the last thing on everyone's mind.

I think the thing I really loved about this episode though, other than that stellar ending, was that it felt like the cast was getting back into form that I haven't seen since Season 1 and part of Season 2. One of the complaints I have about this series is that it's too dark and depressing. Now, I understand we're in a post apocolyptic world and it should be realistic, but it's been 4 years since the attacks on the colonies, and it feels like things have gotten worse. I guess they have, but through all that turmoil these people turned into characters I really didn't give one iota about. The main complaint was with Starbuck and Roslin. Granted, I guess they had to hit rock bottom, but I still didn't like the moping around and depressed as hell attitude. Heck, Dee had the right idea. If it's too depressing to live, than kill yourself, no questions asked.

What happened last night was life was put back into this cast. Starbuck taking charge and once again teaming up with Lee (Something that was long past due), EJO being more active instead of just looking at consoles, and Roslin getting out of the depressing mode and being the Roslin of old. I think we're going to see that really great next week too given the "I'm Coming for All of You" line but that's for next week. It was just really nice to see this cast get something to do in an action thriller episode that answered the original Six from the miniseries question, "Are you Alive." Well, after last night, they are now.

I have a feeling this will all come to a head to connect with some pressing questions. I was thinking about what Ellen said in Sometimes a Great Notion about everything falling into place and being resurrected again, and I have a feeling that might come true as to how Ellen comes back. Still, can't wait till next week's show.

10. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

I think next week there is going to be a lot more onscreen deaths: Racetrack, Skulls, Geata, Zarek, the sunshine boys, Connor, Seelix...

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought some of the most effective moments was when Lee and Kara go past all the dead bodies lying throughout the corridors. Really hammared home the horror of the situation and how things had gone too far.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I can't give this anything lower than an Excellent.

Gaeta's dead. Dead.

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something that I was glad to see voiced aloud by Lee in the utility corridor to his father, Tigh, and Starbuck. He understands and, to a degree, feels the same but knows that there is a greater good that needs to be maintained even if it means allying yourself with the enemy to do so.

Unlike Zarek, who has a point but can't see farther than his own ego and ambitions that he doesn't care who gets hurt in the end. The mutineers have a legitimate concern but the lot of them have used it as an excuse for violence and vengeance. The very civilians that Zarek is supposedly trying to protect from a dictatorship are getting caught in the middle, used and hurt by the mutiny.

And that's some frakking good drama.

No not Racetrack... she's too pretty to die. The rest can burn.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Adama Roslin and Geata will survive, as in the clue clip things there was a clip where Adama notices a nasty rip in the bulkhead of his quarters that hasn't shown up on the show yet and seeing as some of these clips have were shown in the preveous episodes that one might appear at a later date, also there was one with Roslin in which she looks to have a position of authority which can imply the mutiny failed in the end where she see's someone come off a raptor and is suprised by it considering the promo implies Tigh dies next week it could be him after being ressurected, as for Geata there was aclip where he was talking to Baltar in the brig which is where he would be if he survived the mutiny going to crap. now as for Zarek there is no way in hell Roslin will let him live after this he's too dangerous now.

15. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

That is from Season 3, when they have Gaeta interrogate Baltar, and he stabs him with the pen after having something whispered in his ear. I don't remember which episode it is in. It's also expounded upon in the Webisodes and we find out exactly what it was Baltar whispered to him.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Specifically, that an Eight had tricked Gaeta in to giving her the names of resistance members that they had in prison, supposedly to free them but she was actually killing them.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Do you think Roslin might pull the trigger herself on Zarek?

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

That would be really appropriate, given everything they have both been through.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Thing is, Zarek wants to die. We saw that back in Bastille Day so killing him could be even more dangerous than letting him live. He has the makings of a martyr.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

They could always find a way to expose the skeletons in his closet thus destroying is reputation and THEN kill him.