Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

82.4%
  2. Above Average

13.0%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

:eek:

Well, this episode would be at home in early season 2, as the next logical step from the martial law - we're now at TOTAL FRAKKIN' MAHEM! So, erm, Excellent then.

After the casual buildup pace of last week's episode, I was a little surprised to be thrown headfirst into shipwide revolution, but it was so well placed and well done that the sucker punch still hurts. Felix Gaeta you motherfrakker. You have all the right motivation and reasoning but you're so doing it the wrong way.

I give a big hell yeah to the re-emergence of Roslin and Starbuck. Roslin, who has been sulking for a couple of weeks now, finally gets her shit together to help try and restabilise the fleet. Your little speech in the last episode about being allowed to take a break was heartbreaking, not in the least because you were taking a break at the wrong time. It may have taken a horrible series of events to actually get you up and about but hey, better late than never.

Starbuck really pulled herself together, feeling better than she has done in months. You can really tell! It's the most cohesive we've seen her in a loooooooong time. Shooting everybody left, right and centre seemed a bit OTT in reflection, but it soon became apparent that a them vs. us ideology had already set into the fleet. Plus, when she came to Lee's rescue in the hanger deck, that was all kinds of awesome.

Adama just gets better and better. Slugging the guy that was taking them to the brig, and Adama-glaring at the other one; hee! And then after making sure Roslin gets off Galactica, he takes a (final?) stand against Captain Kelly (?!?) and the rebels. I'm glad that he and Tigh are BFF again. It's good that a little notion such as secretly being a Cylon has had no long-term damage on their relationship. That alone shows some hope of resolution along the way, even if half the cast is murdered getting there.

I liked how the story involved former Pegasus officers in the coup. Any callback to that era is welcomed, but the tie-in with the old hurt feelings certain Pegasus officers held for Galactica officers was very good. Weird - all the Cylons being held captive are totally innocent, and don't know what they can offer the rebels, whilst the humans on the rest of the ship go nuts and shoot everyone and everything in sight, complaining about, erm, Cylons.

I hope Zarek eats a bullet next week. That is all. :D

2. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I still think there has to be some payoff to Ellen being the final Cylon. That has to be revisited at some point. My predictions is that the mutineers end up executing one of the Final Five Cylons (Tigh?), and he wakes up next to Ellen, who has the secret of resurrecting without resurrection ships or something.

3. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She didn't shoot enough of them.

This mutiny is like any revolution. There are two camps. The smallest are the true believers. They'll die for the cause with a smile on their face. Then there's the other, much larger group. "Throw some cylons in the brig? Sure I can do that." They go with the program until shit gets real. When people start losing their lives just for being on your side, they switch sides real quick.

Even if it means capping some of the on-the-fence types, its the price for killing this mutiny in its infancy. It honestly would probably end up saving more lives in the long run. Adama should have given Kara a free hand. The traitors will end up going out the "Cally Tyrol Memorial Airlock" anyway.

Anywho... I rated this excellent. This was easily the best episode of the season so far. I can only hope that this is the shape of things to come for the remainder of the series.

Aaron McGuire

4. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is there a "FRAKKIN' AMAZING" rating ? I would have used it !

Damn, this was intense from start to finish, on the edge of my seat litterally... Kara's line when she saved Lee was priceless, "i can do this all day" or something to the effect. True Starbuck style :lol:

Now i can't wait for next week, eventhough i wish i didn't look at the promo, damn SciFi ! :scream:

Let's hope what is said in it isn't true but if Tigh is really dead by next week, i can totally see him rejoining Ellen somewhere... and they'll come back together again. After all, i read that Kate Vernon was going to appear in something like 6 or 7 episodes, so they better make her come back soon ! Besides, according to Battlestar Wiki, Michael Hogan is supposed to be in episode 15...

5. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Gaeta's character arc is up there with Damar's in DS9 and Wesley's in Angel.

So much bitterness. So much hatred. And yet.....so understandable.

Loved that ending as well:

"Its been an honour to serve with you, my friend."

BANG!

To be continued.

6. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

This episode was all out tits! :eek:
    So I had to vote excellent.

And I agree with other posters who feel about the cliffhanger...
    Cyclops... er, I mean Colonel Tigh jumps on the grenade to save Bill.

.....oohh! Next week's promo!! Holy mustardfrak!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCvFaJvQ8XA

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeap. Great comparison.

8. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

WOW! What a great episode! I voted excellent.

Three down, seven to go. If I remember correctly isn't the last episode supposed to take up a three hour time block?

9. Wow what an utterly crazy and fantastic episode.

Loved seeing Apollo and Starbuck finally get it together. They've been seperated for so long that I've been waiting for them to return to old style.

Seeing Adama and Tigh go all badass was pretty great too.

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Gaeta probably added...

"Lock Mr. Hoshi up in my quarters. Use the chains and ball gag. I have something special in mind for him."

Good comparison between Gaeta's arc and Damar's. Starting one place and ending up somewhere different but logical.

The Charlie Connor character was part of the resistence on New Caprica. As a member of the Circle, it was mentioned that he lost his son. He was also working at Joe's Bar on the ship. Last time we saw him, Baltar's main cult babe had beaten him over the head with a metal pipe. He looked surprisingly good considering.

11. TheInsideMan

12. TheInsideMan

Ron Moore said last week that things could get worse. Can they get worse than this?
    Mark Verheiden: Please. It’s Battlestar. We haven’t even scraped the surface of "worse."

They're frakked. The lot of them! :lol:

13. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Glad to see Rosyln and Starbuck return to form.

I can see Tigh dying to save Adama and waking up with Ellen learning the truth and coming back.

There are still lots of unanswered questions out there.

14. Takeru

Takeru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The episode was awesome, I can't wait for next week. I hope Gaeta dies, I see his point but I still want him dead. I hope, he, Zarek, Racetrack, Seelix and Co. get stuffed into an airlock and Roslin has the honour of pressing the button. :klingon:

Kate Vernon said she will be in 7 of the final 9 episodes, that means starting next week she will be in every episode, it would make perfect sense if Tigh dies and gets resurrected in a second, Final Five exclusive Resurrection Hub. Ellen had no idea how to fly a ship, so she was stuck there, with Saul she can finally return to the fleet.

15. TheInsideMan

Racetrack survived the worst Raptor crash of all time back in Season 3. She'll survive this.

Besides, she's too hot to die. ;)

16. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

The first Excellent of this half-season for me.

One of the best things about this episode was Starbuck. Throughout season three and during most of the Demetrius arc I've really disliked her character. It seemed like the more negative aspects of her character were overshadowing her likeable aspects, but this mutiny has refocused her and she's acting like the Starbuck I can actually root for. I also loved seeing her and Apollo as a team again.

Once this all shakes out it will be interesting to see where Apollo lands, as it seems his feelings about his are the same as mine: the other guys have a point about the Cylons, but right now there's not much of a choice and mutiny is not the way to go. I think he'll ultimately be the one leading the fleet into whatever future awaits them at the end of the final episode, but his actions in this arc will determine how (or if) that's possible.

I'm also glad to see Roslin back in her earlier form. I think next week's episode has the potential to bring her back in my eyes much like "The Oath" brought back Starbuck for me.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode. Can't wait for the next one!

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know considering that next weeks is when Roslin uses the "I'm coming for you all" line and shes on a Basestar that has nukes lots of nukes I wonder if they may have to rename the show since Galactica could go bye bye.

18. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

I'm not sure she knew the complete extent of what was going on yet, and decided better to be safe than sorry - I know, a bit of a stretch for Starbuck, but ...

The reasons for the lines drawn the way they are, are kinda just like what we have in real life. On the one side, you've got 'the ones in the know' and the other side is those on the outside playing armchair quarterback thinking they could do a so much better job - unfortunately, they don't have all the facts. If this storyline would continue - Gaeta stays in power and things continue on, Gaeta will eventually be making essentially the same decisions Adama would have.

While that makes sense - gives Tigh a way to get back - I'm still not convinced Ellen is the real deal. We've seen Tigh hallucinate Ellen before - he even thought the Six was Ellen and had sex with her.

My bet's still on the doctor, but we won't know it untill the final scene in the final episode.

19. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Superb episode! But I have no idea where this can logically go now, as are they gonna blow half the crew out of the airlock?

20. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. BSG would have lasted only about two hours if it had been that way from the beginning, and we'd all be talking about something else today.

---------------