Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

82.4%
  2. Above Average

13.0%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Boomer is with Cavil's Fleet.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope not. Tigh is by far my favorite character on the series. I highly doubt they would reveal something like a main character death in the preview though. I think it's Zarek bluffing.

3. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good point. Nevemind then. :(

4. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn... and to think, I was pissed when they had just killed Laird off.

:guffaw: (crazy, exasperated, Galen Tyrol-style laugh, a la "Revelations")

Wow. What can you say about an episode like tonight's? Talk about a complete and utter disruption of the status quo -- something we all know this show excells at.

Some quick-hit thoughts:

- I could've sworn I saw Mr. YEE-HAW from "Pegasus" near the beginning of the episode.

- Anyone else find it totally absurd that the guy who played Ladon Radim on Atlantis (and who is also on Sanctuary) is still alive? Could've sworn Baltar's Babes killed him.

- Jeez... who wasn't a part of the rebellion? Heck, we even saw frakkin' Kelly near the end of the episode.

- If I was Starbuck, the aforementioned Ladon Radim and Racetrack would've each gotten a bullet in the head. No question.

- There was no way Bill Adama was leaving his ship. No. Frakking. Way.

- I went frakkin' nuts when Adama clocked that guy! I think I belted out something to the effect of:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE OLD MAN'S STILL GOT TEETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one of my favorite moments of the entire series. Perfectly encapsulated Bill Adama's never-say-die attitude. Right up there when he went all flashlight on Leoben in the mini. :cool:

- If I were a shipper, I'd be practically orgasmic over getting my second supersexy Bill and Laura moment in as many weeks.

Well, if I were a shipper. ;)

- I hate Felix Gaeta. :klingon:

And the more I think about it, he was the perfect choice (on behalf of the writers) to lead this rebellion. Because, if Felix Gaeta -- Felix Gaeta, for fraksake -- can be consumed with this much hatred toward Adama and all those who would work with the Cylon rebels -- what the hell is the mind set of the rest of the fleet? Seriously, what is it? Somewhere between "Radioactive" and "Toxic"? This is Felix Gaeta we're talking about here!

I've heard the arguments about how all this seems out-of-character for Gaeta... but I think the sheer shock value of it is finally starting to win me over. After all, isn't it more fun seeing the Devil You Don't Know, as compared to the Devil You Know?

I say yes. Emphatically yes.

- My heart was about to pound through my chest watching those last few minutes. Don't know if I've ever been so tense watching this show. And I'm sure it's only going to get worse -- much worse -- in the weeks to come.

- Lastly, and I hate to end things on a sour note, but let's all give a hand to SciFi and their typically crappy promos for the following week!!!

This one was arguably the worst ever. :mad:

Anyway, just a fantastic episode tonight.

Brutal and breathless. Already counting down the days 'til next week!

5. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally, an Action episode! I missed those.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Radim plays Charlie Connor. He was looking pretty good considering Baltar's babe bashed in his skull earlier in the season.

Captain Kelly? Really?

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Good point, but this mutiny is personal and involves betrayal.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wow. A rather uncomfortable episode seeing our people going at it like that. Excellent stuff. My only complaint is that Starbuck went too overboard and I hope that she has to pay some sort of price for wanting to randomly shoot anyone.

9. OdoWanKenobi

Oh absolutely. Gaeta was the perfect character choice. His arc has been an amazing one, from unassuming nice guy who we all jumped when he snapped only for a moment in Flight of the Phoenix to absolutely hateful villain. And I have absolutely no trouble at all believing that this is where his character has been led. The webisodes seem even better now, becuase it shows exactly what kind of guilt and bitterness that Gaeta is harboring that would bring him to this. I commend the writers for this character. They took a character that I actually liked and believably and effectively turned him into one that I now love to hate.

10. steveman

OK -- that's right. He plays Connor. And those were my thoughts exactly.

So, poor Laird gets a wrench to the face... and dies. But Connor practically gets his skull bashed-in... and lives?

Not cool. :( Only on TV.

And, yes, I'm almost positive that was 'ol Kelly at the end.

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Excellent!

Loved this episode, true nuBSG form

Great to see the old Kara back

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Gaeta's character is fascinating to watch, and his arc has been pretty believable. Everyone he's ever put his trust in has ended up betraying him. Really, Adama's lucky Gaeta didn't have him killed right away. He tried to kill Baltar with his bare hands (and a pen) for what happened on New Caprica. I can't imagine the betrayal he must feel over Earth, and Adama's alliance with the Cylons. Gaeta, more than most, knows what vile things the Cylons have done, and it's much easier to say they should bury the hatchet than to actually do it. It's a pragmatic decision, and I think people like Gaeta are just plain sick of sacrificing their ideals and integrity just to eke out a little more time.

That's all from his POV, though. I think the alliance with the rebel Cylons is the only reasonable course for all of them, as distasteful as it may be.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

He was who took Athena captive.

14. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Gaeta needs a bullet to his crotch, and then to his rectum

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I was like. One wrench to the face and that's all it took to take down Laird?

Gaeta might like a bullet to the rectum. ;)

16. OdoWanKenobi

Some people are just naturally tougher than others. It's not that hard to believe.

17. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really hope Tigh is not dead as he is one of the few charactors in the show that I have actually grow to like. My son and I voted excellent. this episode was easily one of the best of last season and this season so far. It really presented the reality of taking a stand in what you believe in.

On one hand I would love to see Gaeta with a bullet hole in his head :evil:, but on the other hand I can very well see his point.

On another note I have to say that I liked (for once in a very long time) Kara's I'm not going to take any s**! attitude, and I'm not listing to orders. If there was ever a time when her personality came to the front line of the story for a good purpose, it was now.

Execellent episode!:bolian:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I felt bad for Laird, though. Poor guy could never catch a break. :(

19. steveman

Exactly.

Funny how they already had him ticked him off the survivor count in the opening credits.

20. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually found her charactor to be very believable considering the charactor that she has been molded into. I would think that in a time of mutiny emotions would run very high and the attitudes and thoughts of the crew would be VERY polarized - even for a normal person with no mental issues ;). IMHO anyone against Adama and on the side of the mutinist commander would no longer be a friend. So I don't think her shootings were random.