Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

82.4%
  2. Above Average

13.0%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of your posts? Most certainly not.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because we're adults and we realise that there is no such thing as right or wrong when it comes to art. I loved The West Wing which was far from perfect and completely removed from reality, and it was pretty much just a liberal wet dream. I don't want assholes who never even bothered to watch the show coming along and telling me that the show is crap because of President Bartlet's position on stem cell research, I want to enjoy the show for what it is supposed to be: entertainment.

Like it or not, BSG is entertainment for a lot of people in this forum, including myself, and I don't know where you get the gall to come here and tell all of us that we're wrong for liking an episode of a show which you never even watched.

3. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have always found it amusing how people will criticize a show for having a political opinion/angle/side/etc. It is as if the argument is that the show has failed because it demonstrates a liberal or conservative philosophy. That ideally, all media and art will be completely sterile, disinfected, and scrubbed clean of any ideas or attempts to provoke thought in our minds.

Bizarre. :vulcan:

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm an ideologue to the end in at least some sense. My gripe is more to do with what political values the series expresses. stj and I just disagree dramatically on that account.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Because they're enjoying it and if they're enjoying it what right do I have to irritate all of them? Sure, I can write a blog about it or even start my own thread but I'm not going to piss on their heads and tell them their show sucks while they discuss an episode.

6. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry, but there's no room in this internet for an attitude like that! ;)

7. sidious618

I fail at the internets. :(

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

Glorifies is too strong a word, but it does portray it as necessary at times. It has also from time to time shown the consequences of going overboard----several torturees have later turned out to be innocent. It's not the deepest show ever, but at least it does provoke some thought on the matter.

To a certain degree you're right. However, there are enough exceptions to keep things interesting. It's no coincidence that Chloe, Bill, Tony and Jack----pretty much the most heavily characterized of the good guys who are still alive----were those chosen to hold the CTU flag this year (even with that agency disbanded).

9. sidious618

Wel, I was going a little extreme to make my point but as you can probably tell I'm no fan of the show.

I agree that Chloe is an interesting character but Buchanan is good more because of the actor and Jack has never had any character, I feel. Mind you, I stopped watching after season five so it could be all better now.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

No no, not all better now. But not as bad as it has been from time to time either.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

And my your own admission you haven't seen this episode of BSG either...

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

13. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe this thread has had that many views! :eek:

14. flavaflav

flavaflav Captain Captain

idfjq['iofjqorvnq'vmqer

15. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the number is quite stunning, now that you mention it. The "Blood on the Scales" thread isn't that far off either, considering it's newer.