Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

82.4%
  2. Above Average

13.0%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Un-be-frakkin-lievable episode. Awesome, awesome stuff. Some of the finest of the series.

I got goosebumps up my back when hearing, knowing the context of this episode, Laura scream "I'M COMING FOR ALL OF YOU" in the preview for next week.

Can't wait!

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is wise.

Zarek is pretty much right, of course.

3. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I'm right there with you on this one. Tigh is surely dead (jumping on the grenade to save Bill is completely within his character) but he returns later when least expected. What's interesting is whether or not Ellen is with him when he does.

4. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

The thing about Tigh is that he has worst of both worlds: as a human, he was the druken XO who frakked up one too many times. Then he is Cylon.

5. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

I was under the impression it was just a flash grenade, the kind that disorients or disables rather than killing. If you're right and Tigh gets reincarnated wouldn't he be much younger maybe even a baby? He was much younger when he first met Adama which means he ages normally. He may even have been a baby one or more times since the destruction of Earth.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I remember I really hated the bastard back in season 2, when Roslin had broken away and Adama was laid up in the infirmary. He frakked up one situation after another, declared martial law, got civilians killed, and generally made things a lot worse. But the man has been nothing if not fiercely loyal to his CO and his duty.

7. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been liking Saul for awhile now, more since he learned of his true heritage. Making Tigh a Cylon has only made him more awesome!

Sharr

8. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

You're correct, it was a flash grenade. At least, they used the prop of a real life flash grenade, and the 'explosion' was exactly like one going off.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

Tigh has been my favorite character since the mini-series. He becomes increasingly awesome with every episode that passes.

10. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been a big Tigh fan ever since New Caprica . . . I loved that whole pirate sea captain look he had going on with the beard and eyepatch :D

11. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

I was having this discussio nwith someone last night. He started off as the standard sci-fi cliché of the first officer doing little, dramatically speaking, but filling that role. Granted, a little more attitude than Chakotay or Riker, but still pretty much just a space filler with a few token bad habits for interest's sake.
    But he has got increaisgnly interesting and awesome through the series - seeing him with his two guns in The Oath ready to kick ass for his admiral, that was great in a nerdgasm sort of way. Nearly everything that has happened to him has improved the character immeasurably.

Gaeta too, while we're on the subject.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like Tigh at first, but now I think he's awesome. I'm not sure when I realised how great he is, but the New Caprica arc completely sealed his character for me. The beard, the one eye, the spousal murder... good times.

I think I recognised that I liked him back at the start of season 2 when he started screwing up when Adama was in a coma. I thought he was a drunken asshole and I wanted him knocked down a peg, but I didn't want him to be fired as XO because I enjoyed watching him. That is the mark of a good character.

13. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I would have thought Adama would have had a little more respect among the people, since he almost single handily rescued them from new caprica .

14. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

Nooooo! Say it ain't so! Please tell me Racetrack is NOT a treasonous mutineer! :(

15. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

^^ From her perspective, she's not.

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I think I really started to appreciate him during the New Caprica arc. He was beyond badass, and to top it off, he did what is probably the hardest thing anyone could ever be asked to do, and killed his wife as an act of mercy rather than malice. Ouch.

The guy really deserves a break.

17. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Everyone has to take a step back and look at the big picture. There are no "bad guys" in this situation, except I guess Pegasus-rape guy. Of course one side is clearly in the wrong, but for understandable reasons. So people classifying one side as "bad" should remember that this kind of shades of grey characterization is what BSG is all about and re-evaluate their perspective.

18. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. She, like many of the others, have a very clear understanding that they are mutineers and have wrested control from the rightful commander of the ship by force. Years of loyalty to Adama and to the Colonial Forces, mean that she was dead certain they were in the right before taking such drastic action. This was not done lightly, as wrong as it may seem from my perspective.

19. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Brilliant episode. One of the best of the season so far. Lot's of exciting action, some surprises and big changes. Can't wait for the next episode!

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last Friday, I was doing the sensible thing---watching Numb3rs.;)

But it's entertaining reading the threads in the BSG forum. That gives an interesting perspective on the discussion.

For example, in cold print, Starbuck's line about killing her comrades "all day" comes across as truly callous. The absence of discussion about her forced bravado suggests genuine pleasure in the sight of a hero killing people. How interesting a thing to know about BSG fans that is!

Some people would have feared that Earth might have failed in some way. The way that every one was shocked, shocked was strictly manipulation. The notion that this motivates the subsequent mutiny/rebellion is just as wrong. A mutiny could have happened any time in the previous years. Why now?

Pretty much everyone should have thought about what to do when Roslin got too sick to act. That's what they would have done when she went into her funk. Standing by with their thumbs up their asses is what badly written characters would do, not real people.

It's hard to believe the notion that the fleet needs better FTL engines. The old ones zipped you away with no problems. Nor is it a bit clear why they need them anyhow. Why not settle Earth? If Earth was bombed thousands of years ago, then the large part of the radiation is gone. It's called radioactive decay. If the war managed to sterilize the planet, why did Earth still have oxygen? Or there's the simple solution of settling Kobol.

It is painfully obvious it's all some cobbled up fake crisis, "demanding" an alliance with Cylons and provoking a terrible crisis. The Boomer programming in the first season actually proves that converting the (sexy) Cylons by mating them with the appropriate human can't be relied upon, of course. And since the Cylons had no motive for genocide in the first place, they are in fact doubly unreliable. Nonetheless, Adama is the Lorne Greene of the the series and he is RIGHT. And the wicked bad mutineers will get theirs. This is proven by the the small minded personal motives of the mutineers. No, sleeping with a Cylon doesn't count as a small minded personal motive!:cool:

Even if there was some plausible reason to need new FTL engines, there's no way the Cylons could replace them, or do major rebuilds. Do they keep spare engine parts in a marsupial pouch?:guffaw:If they could whip up FTL engines, they could whip up a new Hub, couldn't they?

And, last but not least, the political values expressed by BSG and its fans are quite interesting. Adama overthrows the legitimate government in season one and Roslin rolls over and is admired for it. She screams like a maniac in this one. Violence in the defense of democracy, no! Total violence in the defense of military authority, yes!