Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

21.1%
  2. Above Average

44.2%
  3. Average

24.7%
  4. Below Average

7.4%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

I kept wondering why the assistant seemed so familiar and then I remembered her from season 2, and thought 'That's Apollo's wife!'

I gave this episode an Above Average. It wasn't as bombastic as last week's torture, but there was no way that it was going to be, or needed to be. We're just changing gear for the rest of the season.

I liked Tigh asking Tyrol if he needed a chart to keep track of his and the cylons heritage. Hell I need a chart, who doesn't? Tyrol then asking for the Cylons to be officially recognised by the government and such floored me. Is what happened before on Kobol with the 13th tribe happening again? With all of the civil unrest blowing up with the Cylon alliance, I wonder if something similar had happened to get 13 tribes 2000 years ago.

Gaeta was totally on in this episode - I was more sympathetic with him than I was with Zarek. Like others have said before me, Zarek is making a lot of good points, but is totally the wrong man to lead a revolution. Gaetor has a lot of personal investment, having to worked with Baltar under the Cylons on New Caprica; after covertly sending classified info to the resistence and then being accused by said resistence of being a collaborator; and then having the resistence turn out to be Cylons themselves! He lost his leg because of a Cylon, and then last week his friend Dee couldn't cope with the situation and shot herself. I'd be wary of what Adama and co. are doing after all that/ Oh wait, I am anyway!

I loved the scene where Gaeta attacks Starbuck. He's so full of bile and attacks when she just wants to be left the hell alone. 'For all we know, you could be a Cylon.' 'Well at least I'm not a gimp.' Ouch. Seriously.

Nicky's parentage was an odd story (retcon!) to have but as I've said somewhere else, it's probably better for the overall story to make Hera the only Cylon/Human hybrid, after all the buildup she received in season 1, and all of the kidnapping, lies and other fun that happened thereafter. Nicky never received that attention, he was never meant to be a hybrid. The reveal of Tyrol as a final fiver threw a wrench in the plan so they pulled it out in a way that made sense. Sort of. Did Cally screw around with Hotdog before she got with Tyrol? Does that work out? Because to be a cheat on top of everything else she's done and everything that's happened to her...

It was sad watching Roslin slip further and further away from what we've known her to be for so long now. Has she earned the right to live before she dies? Of course she has! I got upset then. Seeing her turn her back on the presidency seems like bad form though. Having her and Adama hook up at the end was a really good ending though! About time! The two together are stronger than they are apart so hopefully something will come out of this.

I haven't mentioned Zarek much - I always feel a bit underwhelmed when I see him onscreen. I mean I agreed with a lot of what he had to say in the episode. I just feel that he's so dislikeable now (which is probably the point) that I'm ready to see a bullet in him. Fired by a pissed-off Adama.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew this was going to be a downer episode as soon as Adama left his office and picked up that litter…that’s a bad sign in any military organization.

So in DFMS we have a realistic, downbeat episode that deals with the fleets cratered morale and everyone looking for someone to place blame…this episode had to happen. I think this situation will continue until some future unknown major event happens to galvanizes fleet unity.

This doom and gloom was inevitable but could have been diminished with some steady leadership from Laura. So I would place any blame with the President…Laura now has to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Even if TZ becomes the Pres...it doesn't matter.

Adama imo was wrong to ignore the quorum and solely make the decision to start a new mission with the skin jobs as allies so he brought this mutiny on himself.

I was never a big fan of Calley but in that harsh environment you have to find love where you can ...’nuff said.

Can’t say I liked this episode but nBSG is all about keeping it real and that’s what DFMS delivers. So I gave it an 'average' ...mostly because it's not an episode I could watch again and again. For me it's a painful episode to endure...but I like the pain.

Very good performances all the way around and special thanks to Hulu.

3. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I found Adama vs. Zarek to be a nice return to the original (either mini-series or first couple of season one episodes, I can't remember) principle of "the government only serves at the military's pleasure". That kind of got forgotten, especially when Adama started sleeping with the President. This is a reminder (that we haven't had in a long time) that this isn't the Twelve Colonies anymore, it's a rag-tag fleet being led by Galactica.

4. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, and as for Nicky being human ... I don't think it's any big plot device to save Hera as the one true whatever she is ... I think it's just a bit of soap opera drama to fill out the story. Maybe they were running 5 minutes short each episode and needed another storyline ...

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt that. They never ever run short, never. If nothing comes from that storyline then the writers will probably come out and say they screw it up.

I think it's to make clear that Hera is the only and only special baby. I see no way for Caprica 6 having her baby, that's made very clear.

6. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this episode as more evidence that the series is running too long. RDM is now going back to his greatest hits catalog of "morose moral", "rebellion", "tom zarek = bad", "ooooh baby cylons", etc. It's really a bit tiresome to see all this again. I just want to see the show end and get the story capped off.

7. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I will admit this rebellion thing seems kind of stupid. Yes, earth is screwed up. Wouldnt it make sense to at least work together to find another home instead of fighting each other?

8. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Are you talking about BSG or the daily world news?

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have liked to have seen a bit more reaction to the "Ellen-is-the-5th-" thing.
    Tigh telling Adama would have made an interesting scene, and in the episode Tigh is just his normal self; doesn't really seem bothered about the whole thing. Which was a bit odd

Also, when do the Face of the Enemy webisodes take place then? Between eps 1 & 2, after 2?

10. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

In this interview:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune...-ron-moore-disquiet-follows-my-soul.html#more

RDM admits that the Hotdog thing was a retcon to clean up the baby issue. He also says that Cally wasn't a cheater, at least not from his perspective. (You'll have to consult your own definition of 'cheater' to find your own answer. I'll go with RDM's, since it's his show.) Personally, I think they cleaned up one mess and unintentionally created another. (Making people think that Cally was a cheater.) Not that it really matters on a show like this, which could easily have gone that direction for totally independent reasons.

And thanks to Berg417448 for the link.

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Nicely done.

I think I'm starting to figure out what this show is all about. :p

I was just telling a friend yesterday that this show is going out exactly when it should. As much as I love it, I think another season would have been too much. It just feels right to end it now. This bowl of porridge is just right.

12. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

As this last batch of eps was starting, I thought to myself that Olmos would probably want his kid to have some more visibility before it was all over. When Cottle said Tyrol was not Nicky's father, I knew exactly who it would turn out to be. :)

As for Baltar, he's just as disgusted, disillusioned and depressed as everyone else after Earth's discovery and he just doesn't care anymore. He was clearly drunk during his broadcast and would rather be anywhere else. And he's still the same narcissist he's always been. He probably believes that after all he's been through he deserved a literal paradise on Earth and feels personally betrayed by God. His bitterness is simply an externalization of his injured sense of entitlement.

About that last scene of Adama and Roslin: did anyone else see the green screen halo around Laura's bald head? Did I imagine that?

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Average. After the A+++ rock-fest that was the premiere last week, this one made me feel quite bored. Gaeta, while somewhat contingent to the plot, I'm finding to be a bit whiny and I hope he goes down with Zarek, who has also become a bit whiny. Roslin did have a good point, though, she does deserve to live a little before she dies. She had ndoubtedly earned it. Hopefully next week will resolve a lot of this.

As for the Hotdog/Tyrol/Nicky thing, I'm thinking the writers decided, "Hey, we have too many Cylon/Human half-breed babies around here, we need to get rid of one of them. Why don't we make Hotdog Nicky's father and wipe out that storyline entirely because we don't have enough time to do anything with it". Definitely felt like a tacked-on reset button out of the blue.

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, so she used deception. That lets Tigh off the hook. And since Six was a prisoner, this further facilitated the "completely consensual" element of her relationship with him. What more could any man ask? :techman:

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Between Sometimes a Great Notion and this episode, as per RDM in a new interview (linked elsewhere on this board). :)

16. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She did fuss at the men for smoking around a pregnant "woman", though. I think she was horrified at the idea of the cylons being able to make more cylons. She'll probably tell someone else who will then do the dirty deed. It takes a pretty cold person to kill a baby, so they will take out the woman before she delivers.

17. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went with "Above Average". I think it did a terrific job following up on the decline of the fleet (especially where Laura is concerned as well as Gaeta and Zarek). With no common goal left, things are spiraling dangerously out of control.

It's very sad to see Laura, really. You can just see and feel that there's not much time left for her. I wonder what her last moments on the show will be like.

I'm really curious about where Gaeta and Zarek are headed. I loved the scene between Gaeta and Starbuck. It was terrific how he picked her up on what she was going to do to him and the irony of the whole tribunal. Since he's joining up with Zarek, it would seem, however, he didn't know who was behind the whole scheme in "Collaborators".

As for the Chief's son, I actually like this revelation. Amidst many grand, sweeping revelations, this is a very human, very straight-forward one. It would seem Cylons not only look like us, but the same kind of crap that happens to many of us can happen to them. And I also think it's an interesting way of promoting Tyrol's path to becoming Cylon again, in a sense.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Solid episode, good job of writing & directing by RDM. I am glad I watched the webisode just before watching this one.

19. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark as hell, but a solid hour's drama with some sci-fi elements thrown in. I relaly enjoyed the attention being back on the people this time which is why it got an Excellent compared to the Above Average I gave last week's. This was a good "chew your food" episode rather than just shoveling blow after blow at everyone.

And I didn't feel like pulling the covers over my head and wanting to hide after this episode :D

20. Michael_One

Michael_One Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Admiral Adama is taking a chance with accepting the Cylon jump tech, as others have commented there is the danger of a remote 'off' switch. I'm wondering if his trust in Sharon influenced his thinking? I imagine there is still a lot of resentment toward the Cylons over the standoff a few weeks ago not to mention the sheer anger over the Colonies.

When Cavil and his followers catch up with the Rag Tag Fleet, would you bet there's a "nobody goes 'till we're ready" command for the Fleet's jump engines if the Base Star's drive hasn't spooled up yet?

The idea the that three times the jump range means three times the chances to find a new planet is not correct, space is three dimensional. Three times the range is twenty seven times the volume you can reach in one jump. Also that gives many more possible locations to escape to if Cavil shows up.