Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

21.1%
  2. Above Average

44.2%
  3. Average

24.7%
  4. Below Average

7.4%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Cally was suicidal and intended to take Nicky along with her into death. She didn't want her child to be raised by the Cylons.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Wow. After so much excitement about what happened last week with BSG coming back and all the revelations and new questions, this episode felt kind of flat. Granted, I guess it was a bit like the calm after the storm, but I really don't know how to feel about this one afterwards. There were many great parts and many not so great parts, so overall, I think it was just ok. On the BBS Scale, I probably would give it Above Average, but that might be a bit generous.Not sure how I feel about Nikky not being a half Cylon. I think it would have been kind of cool to get Hara and Nikky to kind of be related but the writers really did abandon that direction.

There was some of this episode that felt like Season 1. The stuggle to survive, the Tyllium ship not being there, and the fleet not knowing where to go and what to do. However, that was quick because they went to the mutiny plot. I'm not sure how I like it though because there are so many questions that have yet to be answered and then they introduce something that feels so familer. Of course it was set up so we really need to see what happens next week, which looks awesome by the way, to really see if this mutiny plot was worth it. Instead, I kind of wish they went on with some revelations from last week such as Ellen being the 5th, or Kara, who was only in one scene, or Earth. Kind of wish they spent more time there but I guess you could only do so much. At least they are now giving Gaeta something to do and teaming up with Zarak is a bit interesting.

The best scene in the episode was Kara's scene. I was shocked when Kara showed restraint. It almost seemed out of character for her because in the miniseries she would have probably killed Gaeta for what he was saying. I guess the fact that she saw herself burned to a crisp in last week's episode really changed her. I'm not surprised, but it did kind of feel out of character.

As for the President, I don't have much to say about that storyline. It seemed like it wanted to make the fan of that couple really happy so I can take it or leave it.

Hopefully next week's episode is better as it's shaping up to be.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor

Funny that this military/civilian government conflict arc woulod have been great BACK IN SEASON 2.

I also feel the (as is usual with RDM only episodes), the character writting was sloppy. We have:

1) Earlier, Admiral Adama REFUSED to speak to Tom Zarek when he assumed the presidency; and we had an ENTIRE episode devoted to finding someone Adama would deal with - and that was his son who was made President by the Council of 12; and Lee did a good job; and when the President came back she stated - "You're not off the hook yet. Yet now, we have Tom Zarek leading the council; Lee an inneffectual voice and Adama is suddenly now will to deal with Tom Zarek (and I'm talking before the s**t hit the fan later in the episode...Yep, GREAT character consistency.:rolleyes:

2) After the s**t hits the fan; Adama orders Zarek arrested, and orders lethal foorce if he resists; yet we DON'T EVEN GET to see the arrest scene - it's assumed Zarek went quietly; and the Council (all fired up earlier) I guess just became cowed again. Gotta love the old TNG style of 'plot by the numbers' here.

3) The cell scene with the confrontation between Tom Zarek and Adama. I LOVED it, until we got to the aftermath with Adama saying 'file this'; and Tigh replying 'Laundry reports?'. that turned a good scene into utter crap and made BOTH the Adama and Zarek characters look like total idiots. Why:

i) Before Adama got 'tough' with Zarek; he tossed the file on the floor and said to Zarek, 'Read it...' Can you imagine who things would have gone if Zarek actually had? Again, makes Adama look like an idiot.

ii) The fact that when offered; Tom Zarek didn't bother to read it. Again, given his own character background; why wouldn't he take a look just to be sure before he effectively folds?

had the whole 'file this' bit NOT been includsed, I would have actually gained some respect for Adama as a character; and it would have made prerfect sense for him to have actually done that (ie planted spies and bugs among Tom Zarek and his 'gang'; but no, I guess RDM had a flashback to TNG, and felt he had to write a Picard like 'see, he's really not dishonest' aspect to the scene for some strange reason. And again, it destroyed the entire scene and made both characters laughable.

4) Geta - Sorry, but the way the character is being portrayed in this is so over the top - it makes both Tigh and Adama look utterly stupid for not relieving him of duty after the numerous acts of blatent insubordination - and ESPECIALLY after the military/civillian rift is blatently obvious; that he still has a post.

It really sucks when something with very good story ppotential is effectively ruined because previous episode events and characterizations are disgarded just so he cann get 'drama' into the current episode. If this is RDM's current character writing style, it's a good thing I only need to sit through 8 more episodes of this garbage. I thought he was able to actually 'plan' Season 4; baut as things progress, it looks like the same crap writing we got in Season 3.

And yes, before anyone asks, I will watch the remaining 8; not because I expect things to improve; but because I HAVE seen all the other episodes; and RDM claims it'll be a complete story at the end. We'll see.

4. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I loved this episode... I liked how we were shown all the little things Adama does when he gets up, and his kind of humdrum routine, before he heads to CIC, and I liked the scene where Tyrol leaves Hotdog to watch the child, while he goes to sober up.

I just hope that the nurse who was displaying the ultrasound doesn't end up killing the child... the looks she was throwing around when Six and Tigh were talking really hinted towards something like that going down.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a good bit and doesn't show Adama to be an idiot. It makes him smarter because he knows and understands Zarek's character -- in essence that he is an egomaniac and coward. Even though he didn't have the evidence in the file, Adama was ballsy, beating on Zarek knowing that, if he really did all those things, he wouldn't dare pick up the file and be confronted by the "evidence."

Zarek's ego wouldn't allow it. He knew he did something and was scared to see that Adama did have proof of his wrongdoings. Moreover, Adama knew that when Zarek's ego is confronted that Zarek will always prefer to save face then to have his so-called martyr reputation destroyed. It was a well-played bluff on Adama's part.

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

This doesn't air in the UK untill Tuesday, yet "somehow" I just watched it :)

Pretty good, I enjoyed it a lot. The scene between Gaeta & Starbuck was brilliant
    "Is this how you get your kicks these days? Oh I'm sorry; half-kicks"
    :lol:

Looks more than likely Gatea and Zarek are on the "to die" list later on down the line

7. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they do get rid of them quickly. They are both self-absorbed and self-pitying and don't have the welfare of the people in their thoughts other than as a means to an end. The Colonials would be better off with Adama and Roslin in control, but I think Roslin and Adama are burned out with the burden of it all. I have never enjoyed the politics as much as the action aspects of this show. If they lost all the humans except those on Gallactica, I wouldn't care. The rest are mostly annoying at best. When Cavil shows up to murder them all, they'll be sorry they didn't upgrade their technology when they had the chance.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

After thinking about it, I'm changing my grade from Above Average to Excellent.

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic. A raw and completely realistic culmination of what these people have been forced to endure. We'll never see this anywhere else on television, which is exactly why BSG must deliver it to us, and why this show is so damned good.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unlikely as it seems, they (the producers and writers) don't seem to lose sight of the premise that the people leading this fleet are ill-suited to it. They're a guy who was on his way to retirement from an assignment commanding an outdated bucket of a ship, and a woman who was 22nd or 23rd (I forget) in line to lead the colonies. And if you look back over the last four years, a lot of the time they do a pretty piss-poor job of running things.

Within a circumscribed area, Adama is the better of the two IMAO - since the authority of the civilian government seems to break down with some regularity, he's held the fleet together more than once by police or military action. When that's called for, he manages it with decisiveness and some restraint.

So here they are.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

I think Adama has a flashlight with Geata's name on it.:lol:

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm sorry, which characters are we talking about now? "Self absorbed and self pitying" describes about half of them. Baltar? Kara? Roslin? :lol:

13. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

43rd.

I think the fleet could have done a lot worse than Adama and Roslin. Maybe they could have done better, but they could have gotten Cain, you know? And considering how far down the line of succession Roslin was, I'm glad she didn't just go jogging her first week on the job. :lol:

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Sure. That doesn't mean they've done a particularly good job. A lot of the criticism that's being leveled at them right now by people like Zarek is absolutely dead on, too.

I've never liked or been at all impressed with Roslin as a leader, though I think the actor has done a fantastic job playing her. In fact, this show is full of good actors doing great jobs portraying people I don't much like. One of the things that makes it a unique pleasure to watch. :lol:

Anybody think that assistant of Cottle's is going to try to knock off Tigh/Caprica's baby in the womb? Seems pretty likely.

15. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not one for thinking that the BSG-verse has much spinoff potential, but one could mine a whole other series out of simply retelling the last four seasons solely from the perspective of the civilian ships. Adama and Roslin's decisions tend to look good to me, but that's mostly because we as viewers have been on the inside of their thinking for so long. They probably look dangerously unreliable to most outsiders, as this weeks episode proved.

16. Samuel T. Cogley

Of course. Pretty much everybody's viewpoint on this show makes perfect sense, from their own perspective. That's what makes it all so believable.

That's Bamber's real-life wife, but maybe everybody here already knows that. (And as I've said elsewhere, I don't expect that baby to survive, either.)

17. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I always thought this as well. I often wondered what the show would be like if it had been done with a Wire-like approach.

18. sidious618

I didn't. That's rather interesting.

19. Samuel T. Cogley

She's also the medic who pulled Boomer's bullets out of the Old Man's chest in the beginning of season two, so it's a nice bit of continuity to still have her around after all this time.

20. sidious618

Oh, yes, that's right. I never put the two together.