Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

21.1%
  2. Above Average

44.2%
  3. Average

24.7%
  4. Below Average

7.4%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Probably.

But Baltar coolly sits down and watches Tyrol pummel Hot Dog, with a statisfied look about both that and the angry crowd he stirred up.

They have to make Athena's kid special. Otherwise what was the point of a good chunk of the last three years fighting over her?[/quote]

As we know, she was still the first human-cylon kid. And the Cylons wanted her, plus Laura and her frakked up dreams. There was already that set-up, none of it was necessarily negated by Tyrol fathering a child after that plot line was set-up, especially since the whole story of the final 5 hasn't been determined (that perhaps they don't have the other 7 models' reproductive weakenesses). Not sure the "ret-con" was needed.

2. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd rep you if they would ever allow it on this board. :techman:

However I'm sure they don't want the disaster that would follow. :D

3. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Great ep!

And I hope someone puts a bullet in Zarek's head sometime soon!

4. Zombie

I identify with his position. But he still needs airlock. He's gotten annoying.

5. Zombie

Baltar like Roslin probably doesn't give a damn anymore. Plus I think he was high. ;)

They needed it. Fan-boys would never let it go. "WAHHHHHHH how come Nicki isn't special too??????????? WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

;)

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I don't see him surviving much longer, either. Even though he's right, you don't go making enemies out of the show's stars if you want to live. ;)

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's funny. Zarek is correct but clearly the wrong man for the job. Adama is a good man but in the wrong. It's a nice way of throwing things on their head.

This episode is not at all what I expected it to be but that's okay because it was a good one. Above average, especially for a setup episode. It was both sad and frustrating watching Laura go through all of that pain but at the same time I was hoping she'd step up to the plate. She always made sure that she was in control and threw many people out of her way but now that things have gone bad she wants out.

Next week's looks damn intense. I'm guessing there'll be a death.

8. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and it shows what a weak person Gaeta is. He is a follower, not a leader. He is pretty pathetic, he wants everyone else to solve his problems or blame his problems on.

-Chris

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Adama has a bullet with Gaeta's name on it.

-Chris

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

No, Gaeta took co-command of the insurrection there are the end. He stepped up to the plate which, sadly, is more than we can say for most of our main characters.

11. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average with a few above average moments.

I found tonight's episode to be the kind of show that is competently written for the most part but isn't very satisfying as entertainment. This is one of those aftermath shows that come off after a Big Premiere and while the reactions and fallout are plausible and realistic it just didn't seem very compelling. And as the second episode in a 10 episode arc heading into the show's sendoff I have to say it was lacking.

I've never found Zarek a particularly engaging adversary. Gaeta reminded me why I think he is such an annoying character now he is an annoying rat. We revisit Baltar's cult which I haven't found the least bit interesting all season. The only thing I took away away from it worthwhile was the fact that his flock is no longer comprised of just his whacky followers but now includes disillusioned military and I'm sure down the road it is going to play into the larger storylines but for now I'm cold to it. Tyrol finds out he isn't Nicky's father and therefore isn't a Cylon--okay-- maybe it will go somewhere but for now it was just sorta "there". And while we didn't explore Starbuck's mystery of resurrection, I did appreciate the scene she had. Understandably she is frustrated and scared by last week's discovery and just wants to be left alone. That was well done.

I also liked the hint of a revolt fomenting and nice, but hardly groundbreaking, was the confirmation Roslin and Adama are lovers.

I guess I just prefer my shows to be a tad more balanced with respect to plot and character work. I guess that's why I like LOST so much more than BSG.

And on a sidenote, the show really should try to let a dramatic scene stand on its own. Many times it feels like the director wants to spotlight a dramaric scene that screams "DRAMATIC SCENE IN PROGRESS" and as such comes off as intrusive and unnatural.

12. omnirad

omnirad Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked how Adama kept picking trash up off the floor, as a sign of the deteriorating morale and his blase reaction to it.

:shifty:

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I assume that the writers are giving Tyrol the freedom to live with the rest of the Cylons for a while (as well as getting into a new--or old--Cylon-Cylon relationship).

14. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

This one was a bit off. The stuff with Zarek and Gaeta was great... and Baltar turning on his message was awesome.

Everything else was a bit dull... and/or a bit strange.

I guess they retconned Tyrol's son... according the the Crossroads podcast he was intended to be a hybrid child. And hot dog? Funny, and I always did think he should have more of a role - but also kind of lame.

The president's behaviour seemed a little strange as well... I mean I get what they are trying to do but I don't really find it to be in character.

And that scene at the start with Tigh and six with the ultrasound fell totally flat with me. The attempted humour with Cottle seemed forced and Tigh just didn't seem in character for some reason.

And Tyrol suddenly identifying himself with the Cylons with no on screen progression to that place was well... sudden.

Anyway - mediocre set up episode that of course had lots of good stuff, as any BSG episode will naturally have. Average.

Look forward to next week.

15. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Ellen. Accept it.

16. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost find myself wondering if anything happened behind the scenes for Cally to get crapped on so harshly with a terrible death episode and now this junk with Hot Dog.

And when Zarek was talking about acts of courage starting revolutions, I thought Gaeta was going to off him right there so he'd be the martyr Adama was afraid of.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I gave this an Excellent.

Alessandro Juliani and Richard Hatch really brought it in this episode.

18. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I gave it an excellent, it was a very good episode. However, I have a problem with Hotdog being the father of Cally's kid. In the episode where she died, it seemed to me she was going to kill the kid because it was half Cylon. But she knew it wasn't half Cylon according to the Doc. I'm confused.

I'm also not reading spoilers, so I love being suprised. No more spoilers for me. :)

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Above Average...

Love the civil war that is brewing and I guess that could potentialy be the final nail in the coffin for the Human race. Adama/President together at last was a nice touch and Felix has a role now so yay for him.

However I don't like the cally thing, its the final episodes I don't want to have to watch family soap plots. Also the preview gave away the ship would jump away from the fleet so they need to hide the plot better when they do the intro credits.

Is anyone else bored by Baltar now ? he has no role anymore since hes not the 5th Cylon, he's just a twit with a microphone.

20. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

I suppose this explains Tyrol holding a knife at the last supper, the knife symbolizing "betrayal", or "stabbed in the back" by Cally.