Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

21.1%
  2. Above Average

44.2%
  3. Average

24.7%
  4. Below Average

7.4%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Above Average.

Clearly a set-up episode. Really, it was kind of a necessary evil after the superb "Sometimes a Great Notion" which really had no plot at all. Everyone was sort of wondering what the back nine of season 4 was going to look like and we needed an episode like this to establish what that's going to be.

Insofar as it needed to accomplish these goals, it did it very well. Everything "Disquiet" set out to do was done in an interesting way, I thought. From the Chief's issues with Nick's dad to Bill's problems with an increasingly despondent Laura, the character revelations were cool, I thought. And way to finally hit that, Admiral! Frakking guy knows how to slow-play the ladies, that's for sure.

The political stuff was good and frankly, I'm surprised Zarek lived to see the credits on this one. I figured Bill wouldn't think twice about popping his ass for sowing insurrection.

Speaking of insurrection, I'm wondering where they're going with Felix here. Are he and Zarek trying to style themselves the new Adama-Roslin (politically ;))? Also, have we passed "Face of the Enemy" in the timeline yet? I think that briefing at the beginning of the episode might have been the one Felix and Tigh were talking about at the end of the webisodes.

As far as the direction goes, I get the feeling Kevin Smith wasn't kidding when he said that all they needed on this show was for somone to yell "action" and "cut." Ron acquitted himself well, but there really wasn't anything particularly superlative about it. He was probably wise to write himself a nice bottle show for his directorial debut.

In short, not the best Galactica's done, but they needed to do this to kick the rest of the season in motion. In light of that, it's above average compared to other similar episodes in the past.

2. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you say "ret-con"?

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Above Average. Nowhere near as good as last week and I can see the argumenet about it being filler. But I still enjoyed it.

-The scene with Tigh, Six, and Cottle looking at the ultrasound was not only frakked up but funny as hell. That was one of the show's few diversions into that kind of comedy.

-The medic whose name I can't remember...her reaction to "the future of the Cylon nation" was perfect. I don't think she's going to join Gaeta's revolutin but her horrified reaction totally worked.

-Gaeta...a little bit broad with his Cylon-hatred but still very compelling and prickish. You definitely have to check out the webisodes to get the full scoop of why he's the way he is. Even without it though, he lost a leg to a Cylon, discovered Earth was a fraud, and was the last person to see his good friend Dee before she blew her brains out. That's enough to make someone snap right there.

-Baltar's denouncement of God kicked ass!

-Zarek. Always good to see Richard Hatch back as his character. Zarek is a political opportunist whose lust for power is hurting this fleet. But he raises some valid points about Adama and Roslin. In the fleet's mind, Earth was a lie and now the Adama/Roslin powerbase still wants to call the shots.

-Cally...really don't know how I feel about this plot. Don't think that I care for it. I KNEW though that Hot Dog was going to turn out to be the father.

Next week, Mutiny on the Galactica!

4. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

As entertaining and humorous as the episode was, it was pretty sad. Roslin essentially gives up, forfeiting the Presidency. Adama is just going through the motions. In the absence of any leadership, the fleet falls apart. Zarek doesn't give a shit about anyone, except himself and Lee doesn't have enough political muscle to really effect the outcome. Especially with Zarek in full blown "frak the leadership" mode. Not as heavy hitting with the darkness as last week, but still just as depressing.

RDM did a good job directing, a lot of shots of people's feet. Think the dude has a foot fetish.

-nobody

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

yeah, it was, but so what, what is done is done, it is what it is now

6. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went above average with this one. It was a pretty good episode, with us finding out that Tyrol isn't Nick's father and the beginnings of a mutiny. There was a lot of set up for the next episode, but they did a good job of keeping me entertained and getting me very excited for next week.

I was hoping the father would be Baltar.

7. bryce

(Actually, a ret-con to cover a ret-con.)

8. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved Cottle. "Here have this..." "She'll live..." :lol:

Oh and Adama and the toothbrush scene towards the end.... :D A contender for first place with Tigh's eye. Man that was intense. :lol:

Loved Tigh asking Tyrol if he needed a chart to keep things straight.

Gaeta? Time for an airlock.

Baltar? Awesome.... I smell a return of a certain vixen to slap him back on the path of rightousnes! (bad spelling on that)

Poor Hotdog. I don't think Tyrol is going to just walk away totally. Kid has been in his life and someone needs to help Hotdog.

Can't wait until next week.

Oh and I really don't want to see Laura bald anymore. Please no more. That makes Baby Baltar cry.... :(

9. bryce

Yeah, it just felt a little...tacked on...forced. But hey, like you said, what's done is done and all...

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking either him or Geata.

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

At this point I really hope the 5th isn't Ellen, I want it to be Geata now

12. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Average or "What did you do to deserve such an episode?"

What is Baltar's game...just stirring up shit?

The part about Cally and Hawt-Dawg felt forced in. Wondering if its to give the Tyrol leeway to die or leave or something or just to make Athena's kid special again. (I don't read spoilers)

Gaeta gone bad. When have seen the face of the enemy and he is us! Or is he right? Seeing Six and Tigh cozy and preggers happy, the Chief's new alliegance to the Cylons...Zarek's last words to Adama.

The Ellen reveal was only mentioned in passing, and obviously Tigh told Adama.

So, Lucy Lawless is apparently starving to death on Earth.

Nice to see Cottle again.

13. xoEJox

xoEJox Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Frakkin' bluh bluh!"

I'm so getting that on a T-shirt. :)

14. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My mom's in almost exactly the same place health-wise. I'm glad they aren't glossing over the fact that cancer sucks. They aren't afraid to show it and I applaud them for it.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my grandma is also going through Cancer right now, and bald due to chemo, so they are being very realistic.

16. Zombie

Baltar feels betrayed. He too was expecting the 13th Colony. They all were. Human and Cylon. Head Six never said anything about Earth being a blasted out shell.

To come up on Earth like that shattered him too.

They have to make Athena's kid special. Otherwise what was the point of a good chunk of the last three years fighting over her?

17. bryce

Yeah, it's not like a switch one can just flip off.

(I know this from personal experience.)

18. Zombie

Wow that was much shorter then your usual posts. Oh wait other board.......

Anyways.....

Excellent episode laying the groundwork for the next one but please no more fillers after this. Let's go balls out straight to the finish!!!!

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yeah.

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I'm surprised so few people identify with Gaeta's position. Although some of what he said to Starbuck was uncalled for, bred of ignorance of how the Final Five are different from the other Cylons, his beef with the Roslin/Adama administration is legit enough. They were promised a future on Earth. Instead, they got jack shit, and are now getting an alliance with the Cylons shoved down their throats. Although we've had a deeper look at what's been going on with the Cylons, most people in the fleet haven't, and only know the Cylons as the brutal monsters that virtually wiped out humanity. Gaeta, going by the webisodes, has even more personal reasons for hating them.

At this point, where can he put his faith and trust? He became disillusioned with Baltar on New Caprica. Cylons cost him many friends, and a leg. Adama and Roslin failed to deliver on their promises, and cost him yet another friend. Zarek would be looking pretty good right about now, as a man with a vision and the ambition to make it happen.