Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.4%
  2. Above Average

19.2%
  3. Average

5.8%
  4. Below Average

2.5%
  5. Poor

1.1%
  1. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

I missed it last night because I was out, but I watched it this morning on HULU. Great episode! I loved how Tigh says "She's the fifth" after his flashback. I thought we'd have had to wait till the last episode to find out.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Very good article.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Excellent, for me. I'm glad there was serious fallout to finding Earth in that condition. People fighting in the corridors, and the "FRAK EARTH" graffiti were nice touches. And Adama just walked right past all of it, as shell-shocked as everyone else.

The revelation of Ellen being the final Cylon adds a bit to the puzzle, going all the way back to her first appearance. It's a given she was reborn on the Colonies and met Tigh, but is it possible she was reborn again after the destruction of the Colonies, and placed within the fleet?

And it seems that the five of them all knew each other in their lives on Earth, although it's not clear how Tigh and Ellen might have known Anders, Tyrol, and Tory. I suspect that will come to light eventually.

Some things I hope they address:

1. Why were the Five made a forbidden subject for the Seven? Was it to keep them from knowing about Earth, as the Five were apparently drawn there?

2. Are the skinjobs that comprise the Seven somehow descended from the Earthly Cylons? How?

3. What the hell is up with Kara? What is she?

One advantage the show has now is that all expectations have been thrown out the window. We know who the Fifth is. We found Earth. Now what?

Based on the promo for next week, it looks like the fleet will be coming apart at the seams. Makes sense, since they don't have the common goal of finding Earth anymore. I'll be curious to see where they go from here.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I waited until this morning to cast my vote (Excellent). I wanted to make sure I felt the same way when I woke up as I did when I finished watching last night.

This was a truly superb outing. Once again, Ron Moore has sucker-punched the audience with what I feel are a number of red herrings. We'll see. I just really don't believe that Ellen is the 5th and Final Cylon.

I love BSG. I forgot just how good this show is until I got sucked in again last night.

5. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the bit of self-depricating humor that Lee apparently had in his speech, which he recounted for Dee...

"Lee Adama... commander of the obliterated Battlestar Pegasus..."

:lol:

6. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

My theory:

Everyone in BSG are Cylons, though of a different design. There are no real humans left. Which would explain the philosophy: All of this has happened before...

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it centuries old? I thought it was just damage to her body from fire (i.e. the explosion of her Viper) that made it look like that.

8. Nomad V

Nomad V Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked the show last night. I had to notice that they really didn't show any land masses from the aerial shots and I have to wonder is that really earth, the 13th tribe, or is there another suprise coming?
    Were Saul, and the other human-Cylons born of human parents with twisted DNA inside? Am I a Cylon and if so are they made by Cyberdyne Systems and related to Arnold what's his face in California?
    So many questions and so few episodes left to answer them. I just hope after BG there isn't a great science fiction drought like in the late 70s when all we had was Buck Rogers.

9. SheerQuality

SheerQuality Commander Red Shirt

i didnt think the whole ellen thing was too much of a shock.....she wasnt "on the fleet" when d'anna made her statement, and i dont know if you guys remember when baltar used his cylon test on her...he never revealed what the results were.

i kinda got the impression that we all are "cylons"....ie that there are two offshoots of humanity. Still havent figured out how to place the "skin job" cylons into this theory though

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

Everyone keeps pointing this out, so I have to wonder: Does Baltar know who the Four are? If so, and if Ellen's test came back positive, wouldn't he *know* who the fifth is already? And why hasn't he spoken up?

11. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

I think baltars test only works on the 7. He must have tested Tigh and Tyrol before going onto becoming Prez.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I think Tigh was just shaken up and really meant, "I need a fifth."

13. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WOW so much to talk about here… difficult to absorb it all.

No way that I buy Ellen as being the 5th Cylon because Tigh thinks it is so ..imo the 5th is still alive. Tigh is my fav character but we all know how irrational he can be about Ellen.

I thought it might have be Dee but her totally unexpected suicide caught me completely by surprise. Esp after her time with Lee was about the only upbeat part of the show.

The key and imo linchpin of this Earth mystery lays in Starbuck’s concealed death/resurrection including her Viper….it even freaked out and scared the master manipulator Leobeon.

Could it be that Earth still is the Nirvana the fleet seeks but it is cloaked/projected as a wasteland for those it fears may destroy it or deems as unworthy?

I'm almost disgusted with myself for being a such a fanboy but this episode was excellent for me...very compelling. :techman:

This show has hit the sweet spot as only Twin Peaks and DS9 have so far.

14. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Fantastic episode! Man, I don't know what to say past that. :bolian:

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Have to catch a plane now. More comments later.

This episode was surely not filler, unless you had read so many spoilers that it no longer had anything to offer.

And I was really surprised to see how Dee's death was kept under wraps for so many months.

16. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No shit. I didn't go spoiler mad or anything, but I read some things here and there and there wasn't even an inkling of that out there.

17. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow what a fraking way to return ! They may have just produced the best episode ever in the whole series :eek:

Yet the way it started gave me the impression i would be disappointed. False impression ! I don't dislike Dee or anything but i really didn't think she was a good candidate to be the finale cylon. So when i heard Kandyse McLure's voice, and saw they were recaping her character's story so far, i immediately thought, ok she's the 5th... i now realize it would have been a little too obvious (and she was already in the fleet anyway) but who knows ?

I really didn't see her fate coming. Especially after she found those relics on earth. What was that anyway ? At the time, i understood it was things that belonged to her when she was (supposedly) on earth, photographs of her past earth incarnation on her little red bike ("i don't even remember it was me, so long ago"), of her parents before the planet was nuked. And her sudden blank look after she had her nervous breakdown in the raptor heading back to Galactica screamed of a switch going off. Eventhough i've been there before, i didn't see it as a realization that the inevitable was going to happen and that she had made her mind and decided to give up. But when she finally took off her ring, it all became clear... :( Too bad to see her go like this, i've read people say that Kandyse McLure wasn't the best of actress in the show but in this ep, i really enjoyed her, i think she did a great job and handled the part very well... but we're not in season 3 anymore, the love quadrangle of doom is behind us although if i was her, when Apollo said "i got no idea what to do next", i would have answered "me". :p

There are so many questions up in the air now... What is Starbuck, appart from the harbinger of death, and how the hell did she went back in time more than 2000 years, let alone travelled to earth ? Leoben seemed pretty scared when they found Starbuck's 1.0 body. I guess he didn't see an angel in her anymore when he shat his cylon pants.

Also when Tyrol had his flashback i said aloud "Frak !", well, not frak, another expletive in french but whatever, it was so unexpected i totally geeked out. Same with Anders grabbing what was left of a guitar neck. So he was Bob Dylan in a past life, good for him ! And Tory was non existant today, good for us !

As for Ellen, i always thought she was the last cylon, right back from when i saw season 1. The way she was brought into the show in "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" it was obvious something was planned by the writers, and learning later that RDM kind of decided who would be the finale cylon during season 1 confirmed that for me. It was just a matter of time before we got the onscreen evidence. Now what are they gonna do, go back to New Caprica and retrieve her body ? Or did she somehow reincarnate when Saul killed her ? On earth she knew they would be reborn, she knew there was a way to come back, that a technology existed to allow it when she said "everything is in place, we'll be reborn again, together". Were they the first cylons to reincarnate and was she one who created that technology ?

I just hope that the finale explanation for all these questions is not some half-assed matrix-like world, and that they're not living in a virtual reality or something. But i trust the writers to be more original than this !

Damn, i want to fast forward to next friday...

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Think the show jumped the shark sometime in later season 2 and just have no clue where it's going.

However we got to the point where the final Cylon isn't important to the story. It no longer matters who is a Cylon and who isn't. It was a dumb way to end the episode, but it was fitting. I don't think anything will come from it, I hope not anyways, don't waste anymore time and get right to the good stuff, a civil war.

19. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I suspected it just because she was next on "the hit list" after Cally, but not in this episode and not in this way.

I love who the final Cylon turned out to be because it is involved in my favorite relationship on the show since Cally/Tyrol and Dee/Adama/Kara annoy the hell out of me, though Adama/Roslin is a close second.

Props to SciFi for posting this only Hulu the night of instead of a week later.

20. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

True, and RDM has stated this episode was not engineered to handle such a build-up. They were supposed to air only a week apart, it was SciFi who decided to break them up over 7 months. It's the damn, pesky WGA strike frakkin' with us again.

It will be interested to gauge people's reaction to this episode down the line when watched as the original pacing intended.

-nobody