Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.4%
  2. Above Average

19.2%
  3. Average

5.8%
  4. Below Average

2.5%
  5. Poor

1.1%
  1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starbuck was hanging out with the "Ship of Lights"

Either that or time travel. It's a loop, this has all happened before and it will all happen again, yadda yadda yadda.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Because Tori was so super important. :rolleyes:

I think people are putting way too much stock in this "final Cylon" stuff. "Final" doesn't mean "most important." If she hadn't been killed on New Caprica, she would have heard the music and gotten switched on right with the other four.

What I want to know is how/where/why these Final Five got reborn. It obviously wasn't aboard a Resurrection Ship.

3. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reborn . . . Again. They were Cylon, people who had the ability to store their consciousness who had created a mechanical servant underclass, I gather.

4. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Is it just me, or did the Earth-Cylon head look remarkabliy like the new Cylon design for the abandoned Bryan Fuller Battlestar series?

[​IMG]

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Looks angrier than normal.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

In the final episode, Rocky Balboa will come out and join hands with Bill Adama and Cavil and say, "If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

7. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. I had a feeling it might be somebody like Ellen once we started to see flashbacks--we've been wondering for nearly two years how these five managed to survive and end up all together and knowing one another; the answer is, their knowing each other is how they survived in the first place. The impression I got is that they were all friends on Earth and somehow were involved in...something...that allowed them to escape death.

So Tigh and Ellen both being Cylons make sense in this context. Everyone on Earth was a Cylon, billions of them, and they loved, hated, married, quarreled, lived and died just like the rest of us. Tyrol, Tory, Anders, Tigh and Ellen just happened to get lucky. In essence, everyone whose been trying to figure out the identity of the last Clyon has been looking at it from plot-related logic, but the show in true form gave us a character-based reason instead.

8. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

9. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

No. It didn't reveal hardly anything to me; I find it hard to believe your insight into what constituted a revelation for me can be superior to my own. Didn't answer or introduce much that wasn't already pretty obvious, as I already typed out (and was itself obvious).

You're quite right. The promotion creates expectations. If it had seemed like "here's an episode where we deal with how everyone handles, or doesn't handle, the crushing disappointment of a dead Earth" then it would have felt quite different, but it was also carrying a burden of maintaining my interest after a long break.

10. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

OK, having watched this episode, I have a simple question: Has it ever been established in BSG mythology exactly *when* the Cylons were originally invented by humans? As far as the Colonials know, have Cylons only been around for, say 50 years? 100 years? Or did the Colonials have Cylon servants as far back as the founding of the colonies? Because that would certainly have a great deal of bearing on the question of how it can be explained that Cylons apparently existed on Earth thousands of years ago, which is well before (I thought) the Cylons were supposed to have existed.

In other words, in "Sometimes a Great Notion", when it's revealed that Earth was populated by Cylons thousands of years ago, was the reaction of everyone "Well, OK, that's a bit of a surprise, but it's not impossible. Humans first made the Cylons thousands of years ago, while still on Kobol, so one group of them must have made it to Earth", or was it "WTF???? We only just invented Cylons 50 years ago! How can they have been on this planet thousands of years before they were invented?"?

If it's the latter, then I guess you'd need some kind of elaborate way of explaining things. Probably something like either 1) time travel (consistent with Starbuck finding a centuries old corpse of hefself), or 2) Cylons were actually first created thousands of years ago, but that knowledge was lost, but, many years later, the "Final Five" (who are refugees from Earth of some kind) surreptitiously manipulated events in the 12 Colonies so as to reintroduce the technology for building Cylons there....or something like that.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The freakin' hiatus was so long, I had forgotten that the new episodes would start airing this month. Fortunately my DVR was programmed to record any new episodes and finding this episode on the play list was a pleasant surprise.

It's good to have BSG back. The episode was fantastic.

12. adv1701

adv1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You beat me to it I was just going to say that. When Dee killed herself I freaked out,I liked her character and I liked her and Lee together. Maybe Ellens already downloaded into a new body the 6 in the brig and that's why Tigh kept seeing Ellen when he was speaking to her.

13. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I disagree. Ellen, while physically appearing in only a number of episodes, has played a MAJOR role in the shaping of Tigh over the arc of the show. This revelation was absolutely no surprise to me, and worked well. Hell, she was all but telegraphed as a Cylon back when Baltar hid her test results.

14. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted Excellent because despite the fact that I really didn't LIKE the way the mysteries are playing out, I was riveted by the entire episode.

With "reveal" shows I have to remind myself to judge the show by its merits as an entertainment and not just by how closely it hewed to my personal Agatha Christie explanation of what's going on.

And the show got bonus points because just as I posted on another board, "Please make this Lee and Dee stuff go away" - they did.

15. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

EXCELLENT. :techman:

However is really frustrating how this show is so much ignored by the awards thingies. I don't think I have ever watched this high level of acting from a regular cast on any tv show.

And kudos to music, especially the piece playing at the funeral.

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

A really good episodes. I was shocked when Dee blew her brains out. I was hoping shewas the fifth cylon, but I will admit I was shocked when I found out it was Ellen, but looking back over the show I realized it fit perfectly. I just hope they don't leave us hanging on who or what Starbuck is. It was funny seeing Leoben scared of her. All these years he chased after her and in the end he doesnt want anything to do with her.

17. rac76

rac76 Captain Captain

]I don't watch this show faithfully as I did SG1, but I've watched enough to get the plot..okay I lost track around middle of season 2. I do have to say that last night's episode was very entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Very dark and grimy which makes for an interesting show. While watching it I did come up with a few theories..and I'm not the only one (yeah!) who thought the same things..

**MY Theory Spoilers**

I came up with the same theory..time travel. BUT that would just suck as it's the same ole stand by for science fiction. Also I thought about your no. 2 theory..that they survived some how and left to create a new world..that is repeating the events that happen on earth years ago. Theory #3..is that everyone had always been cylons, and the 12 helped repopulate the new colonies. Which is kinda like theory #2..

So I'm happy that I'm not the only one that came up with the same theories. I was looking thru this forum trying to find another person, because I think it's kinda obivous in what they are doing. IT would be a big shock to the system if my Theory #3 came to be true..only time will tell. :)

18. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

Totally Ubiquitous computing...smart dust...Cylon god? If there indeed was a download hub built into the planet, and no bodies for the collective masses to return to, all those spirits/minds would have to stay downloaded in that hub. It could be possible that the Cylon god is a super consciousness; or two gods since there were obviously opposing factions as evidenced by the war. Hmm, still could be possible that its one god, but a god that suffers from some form of psychosis...two warring personalities in one insane package, lol.

So you have head 6 and Head Baltar trying to manipulate things to suit their own agenda; Iblis and the Being of Light (Starbuck?) so to speak. Maybe the super beings are lonely, wanting some kiddies to populate their barren world(s) ...after all, gods need worshipers, and after last nights episodes, the Greek gods are very perished in the eyes of the colonials.

Ahh, so many theories, so much time...

19. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Also another question of mine put to rest: Ellen and Cally did NOT wear the same perfume.

20. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

Cally would never wear "Parfum d'un Cylon". Nevah!