Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.4%
  2. Above Average

19.2%
  3. Average

5.8%
  4. Below Average

2.5%
  5. Poor

1.1%
  1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

I rather liked it when Adama asked if the Cylons wanted to "come along". Sort of a recognition that the universe is a lot more empty than they were hoping, and they should probably be at least somewhat friendly with anyone not actively trying to kill them....

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I like how Adama is still working with Tigh, letting him be the CO of the ship and all even though he is a Cylon. We are starting to see a real integration of Cylons and Humans now.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I loved it up until the ending. I give it an excellent but Ellen? WTF? Kind of a boring choice. I'm willing to wait and see where it goes, though.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It felt very natural for the character.

BTW...isn't Tigh going to have problems since he basically took a bath in radioactive water?

5. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this was great too and kind of a step forward for Adama extending that offer pretty much all on his own. Mixing the cylons and the humans makes for an interesting dynamic too.

6. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would think that he will be okay. After all the planet was nuked 2000 years ago, enough of the radiation was gone that they didn't immediately pack up and return to the ships.
    He wouldn't want to take bath in the ocean every day, but I doubt doing it once is going to hurt him very much.

7. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention that when he held his hands flat over the water like that, it echoed teh way that the nuCylons put there hands in those pools of liquid in the Basestar's command center and it channels information straigth into their brains.

It may also be that the Earth-Cylons infused there entire planet with some sort of...maybe nanomachines of something, something that means that Cylons everywhere on thier world can instantly access the...Cylon overmind or the Cylon internet...just by touching something and openng up to it.

If that's true, it kinda echos the idea some futurists (like Douglas Adams) have talked about of "totally ubiquitous computing", or "smart dust"....that at some point the near future* trend of computers getting smaller and smaller (Moore's Law and all that) and the trend of putting computer processors in more and more manufactured objects (TVs, toasters, fridges, cell phones, "smart" TV's the double as PC's, washers & driers, etc, etc...and even greeting cards - it's sometimes called "ubiquitous computing") will reach their ultimate point and computers will become so tiny (microscopically tiny) that we will just (as Adams postulated) "sprinkle" them everywhere and *everything* will become connected and part of the "World Wide Mind".

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

well, he is a Cylon

9. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

They missed a chance to reference an X-Files episode by including the line "this is the field where I died".

The Adama-Tigh part was almost funny...GRRRR KILL ME, OR I'LL HAVE TO!! We know they'll pull it together, their "bro-mance" will go on!

I wish there was someone around at the end to tell D'anna "if anyone derserves to stay and rot in this lifeless tomb, it's you."

Loved Leoben getting freaked out. Not so chatty now, shithead?

For the radiation talk...is there nothing useful on Earth. Not even edible fish? Trees to make into toilet paper? (Radiation burns on yer bum!)

They can't go back to New Caprica? Sure it was kinda icky, but...

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The other Cylons would find them if they went back to New Caprica

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I think they may very well be the point. We all had this idea in our heads about the Final Cylon being this all-important being within the show. If anything, this shows that the Cylons really aren't that different from us afterall.

12. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

holy hell, what an amazing ep. Excellent.

They probably check out new caprica, kobol, and the colonies on a regular basis.

13. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Dee scene was shocking. :(

The Leobeon/Starbuck scene was creepy.

The flashbacks were cool. I liked the touch of Tyrol pointing out his shadow was where he died. :lol:

But there is one flashback we didn't see. Tory. We know she says she remembers but thats it.

14. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Small theory or thought here before I post a full-fledged review.

Ellen says that everything is in place, and that she and Saul will be reborn. Is it possible that the Earth-Cylon colony created a prototype resurrection technology? Could this be what she is referring to?

There's likely a lot of information yet to be had by the viewers, but I find this baby of an idea interesting and plausible.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Above average, excellent until the last minute or two. I'm not kidding when I say that is serious shark jumping material.

16. Gregsmack

How so?

17. Phily B

A character who appeared in a handful of episodes, did fuck all other than betray and was a emotional thing for Tigh. That was all she did, to introduce a minor character as the final Cylon is stupid as fuck, I raged at the end of tonights episode.

18. Gregsmack

I'm not sure what we saw is exactly what we're getting. I'd wait until the the last episodes air before coming to a conclusion. There's still a lot of info to be had.

19. Phily B

I hope so, I've praised the show for years but tonight is the first time I've thought the show has jumped the shark and become crappy. I mean, the "twist" was AWFUL and I hope its just Tigh assuming or remembering the wrong crap.

20. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Perhaps... On the other hand if it was one of the main characters who was the final Cylon I would have the same reaction you have... "Gee, are *all* main characters Cylons?" :)

Having her by the final makes sense in an odd way - remember the cloud of suspicion she was under when she reappeared in the fleet in season 1? Oddly appropriate now, isn't it. Most likely she was not self-aware as a Cylon, either, so complaints about her character being a bitch shouldn't matter. I'm fine with the twist!

What I am most intrigued by now, though, is the nature of Starbuck. I'm going out on a limb and predicting that she is some kind of incarnation of the Cylon god. Or some other entity that has been pulling the strings behind the scenes.