Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.4%
  2. Above Average

19.2%
  3. Average

5.8%
  4. Below Average

2.5%
  5. Poor

1.1%
  1. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like this show and this episode but christ its depressing I hope there is some sort of happy ending to theseries.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my conclusion as well but that was editted out of the quote of my test above.

Mr Awe

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Definitely excellent - several jaw dropping scenes there. Can't wait for more. Although I am curious why Starbuck came back from the planet with a gauze patch on her neck. Can't remember any on-screen reference to why that may have happened - probably a deleted scene somewhere along the way.

4. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you pay attention to her during the scenes on Earth, she appears to have gotten scratched up pushing through the bushes and vegitation during her search for the beacon. RDM also mentions in the podcast that the bandage was very bloody for some reason and that it was cleaned up in post so that it wasn't quite so obvious.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Above Average...The show is becoming a little too LOST like for me with no answers and only questions. The 5th Cylon was revealed too weak for my liking and I don't care for the answer in the end, trying to make unimportant characters mean something. Dee shhoting herself was stupid if she not a Cylon, made no sense why she would do it but even after all that negative, I loved the acting and undertone of the episode.

I just hope RDM has not dug himself too much of a deep hole when the answers come.

6. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Yes, that's true and I took a little liberty and called it 2-1/2 months. And Kara herself stated in Revelations that her shiny new viper was "sitting in the exact same spot for the last 3 months". That's where I came up with the 5 - 6 month estimate for the Kara1.0 body for being on Earth (no provisions for time travel or the like).

Q2

7. Leroy

Leroy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My only gripe is that the planet stayed radioactive for over 2,000 years? Did the writers forget about half life? That must half been one hell of a doomsday weapon!

8. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, yeah. You're right. But it's almost over and RDM has said he's gonna answer just about everything. Whether those answers suck or not is another question entirely. But they're coming. So I don't really mind that "Sometimes A Great Notion" was all questions.

Well, it wasn't going to please everyone. I disagree that Ellen was unimportant though. Tigh is extremely important and his actions are largely informed by his relationship with Ellen. Also, I was pulling for Cally as the 5th but now that they've revealed it, I can see why Ellen's the stronger choice, dramatically.

Why wouldn't she do it? I'm surprised everyone didn't pop themselves the second Bill grabbed that dirt. Dee's been kind of languishing in the shadow of other more significant plot developments. Devastated Earth had to hit someone hard, so why not her? Gives her a strong note to go out on, IMO. Also, her scenes with Lee kind of redeemed the whole Apollo/Dee thing. I was never a big fan of that plotline to begin with, but just before she shot herself I was finally thinking that it might be going somewhere good. Genius writing, I think.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dee killing herself made sense to me. She put her faith in Adama and Roslin getting the fleet to Earth so they could finally be safe from Cylon attacks, and now she realises that her torturous existence will probably never end. When you're in a dark place and you can no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel, what is the point in going on? That's why a lot of suicides happen in real life.

I was worried they would try to explain this to the audience in the morgue scene, but I'm very happy that they decided to show and not tell.

I had the same reaction. I felt her character was ruined by how she treated Billy in season two and just wanted her to get blowed up real good, but that last Lee/Dee scene actually felt real for the first time. I began to remember how I liked her back in season one, then BANG! Thompson and Weddle are heartless bastards. :lol:

10. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any word yet on a podcast?

11. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems that SciFi is holding them back and only including them as part of the 'enhanced' version of the episode on Hulu and SciFi Rewind.

If you're not a US resident, you'll have to access them via a VPN service such as Hotspot Shield.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Dexter Fans Do, an Intro can set a mood, too many shows abandon their intro's

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Actually Kara finding the Ship after the Warning Leoben gave her felt alot like When Apollo told Anne Lockhart not to look in Iblis Crashed vessel.

14. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

:P

15. N-121973

N-121973 Commander Red Shirt

I just watched the episode on Sky 1 here in the UK and just a note or two. During the scene where Tigh flashbacks to Ellen during the destruction of the 13th tribe, the alarm in the background sounded like the alert klaxon from BSG78. Also I liked it when Leoben said to Kara: 'You may not like what you find' Dr. Zaius' line to Charlton Heston from The Planet of the Apes. I wonder if the episode's writers realised that the images of Earth from the final scene of the previous episode would evoke parallels with the final scene of that film?

16. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Undoubtedly. nuBSG has been shamelessly intertextural, what with pillaging dialogue from Apocalypse Now, its references to Seinfeld and Cheers, and of course the appropriation of "All Along the Watchtower."

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just downloaded it from itunes.

19. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

^ Sweet. Thanks for the heads up - I quit looking for it.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Good News for the ratings...