Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.4%
  2. Above Average

19.2%
  3. Average

5.8%
  4. Below Average

2.5%
  5. Poor

1.1%
  1. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There has to be either an external force playing into this or one or more of the cylon models in on the game. How else can we explain Kara's viper being flung such a distance in such a short time. In addition the explanation of the new Kara/viper. Hmmm....

2. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

More likely the budget wasn't up to a Quorum scene.

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sci fi told SGA to lose there theme they told them it was because there research told them that people got board waiting for the show to start and switch over:wtf:
    I think they just want more ad time.

4. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Wow. Lots of new thoughts and info to absorb.

Dee suicide shocked me as well.
    Kara 2.0 may be tied into the Ship of Lights/Lords of Kobol from TOS, or not
    Will Ellen have regerated somewhere, somehow to provide answers?
    Is it really Earth- so far no moon, no recongnizable landmasses or landmarks, settings- could the real Earth be out there still?

5. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent.

Kind of a depressing episode, everyone was falling apart. Dualla: I didn't see that one coming. :eek:

Something is up with Baltar, I don't know what yet. I felt he was mysteriously absent this episode. The final four, Kara, Ellen... but very little Baltar.

I can not wait until next week!!!

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And probably because the story was with Dualla and her suicide, not another boringand extraneous Quorum scene. Moreover, Bamber in the Baltar's trail had the "Howard Rourke" speech and did a dame fine job. So I say he was up to an oratory.

7. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent although i'll just say that i didn't believe that Ellen actually was the final Cylon. When Dee shot herself I thought it was a set up for a later event and then there's starbuck. Anyone else felt unsure if Tigh was right or not?

But it makes sense. How she had first appeared. So I guess Baltar knew she was a Cylon.

I was also wondering if 6 was like related to her in a way.

Also Moore had said that the clue for the final Cylon was in Season 3's Finale.

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Doesn't add up. When aboard the basestar, Baltar was curious about the final five. He even wanted to know if he was one of them. Never any indication that he knew about one of them already.

9. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

That's my thought, the writers wisely left the scene out. We weren't distracted by the public's reaction, letting us focus on the main character's reactions. I thought it was brilliant writing by not including something. The Quorum scene shifts the focus to "Lee's in charge" and the reaction of the rest of the fleet -- without it we have a more personal and heartbreaking story.

-nobody

10. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Based on dialog from several episodes, it appears that Kara1.0 had been on earth approx 5 to 6 months. Given the state of the viper, smashed helmet face shield and exposure to weather/environment/critters, I think the level of decomp of Kara1.0 to be just about right.

Q2UnME

11. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The time between Maelstrom and Crossroads/He That Believeth in Me was "over 2 months" according to Anders and Apollo.

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Why didn't they stick around in Earth orbit for a while? Galactica and I'm sure other ships needed the maintenance, maybe even attempt a crude drydock like they did with the Zephyr. Cavil was nowhere near finding them there yet so they should've stayed for a while.

So they have a few more suicides... so what... :)

13. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught this episode on Hulu last night ...first episode of the show I've seen in a long time. And I'll admit that I was moderately intrigued by what I saw in the first half, especially with the stuff concerning Starbuck's discovery and what not. I was extremely disappointed in the second half though and it underscores the main problem I had with the show way back when. They go part way toward delivering some real story and then backpeddle to highlight death and depression for the rest of the show. I'm not interested in half an hour of Adama looking grief-stricken ... enough of that in real life. I get that they want drama but this is a little too much excess. It gets to be trite after a while.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet they have the patience to endure the mind-numbing tedium of an actual SG:A episode? Something fishy there. :lol:

15. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

Where research?

People got wood waiting for the show? :devil:

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

After finding out that Sharon was a Cylon, he decided he'd rather be ignorant than know the truth, so he changed his "Cylon Detector" to make everybody pass. The test may have actually revealed the Final Five a long time ago, but Baltar made sure he never knew the true results.

17. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To each their own.

There's enough shiny happy people on TV already in the shows I watch where everything works out just fine in the end. I wouldn't want everything on TV to be as bleak as BSG by any means, but I love this show because it's challenging. It's hard to watch sometimes because it's often mired in utter despair.

And that's why the few glimmers of hope you see are often very poignant against the stark backdrop of hopelessness.

Shows like BSG are like chocolate. Oh so delicious, but a diet full of it would kill you.

18. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent

Much of what I'd want to say has been said already, but...

When Dee shot herself, I actually dropped the iPhone I was watching the episode on and had to stop watching for a few minutes. I didn't see that coming in a million years. I thought that we'd see that she was the final Cylon and I was kinda pissed off and then RDM did what he does best and pulled the rug out from under me.

Adama and Tigh's scene was brutal and awesome and I have to admit I got some guilty pleasure watching Roslin come apart at the seams, considering how self-righteous and completely full of bullshit she had become. If anyone deserves to be taken down a notch or two, it'd be her.

I loved, loved loved that the 13th tribe were Cylons. What a great way to stick the knife in just a little bit further. Not only is Earth dead, but even if it weren't, there are no humans to join on the planet below: just more of the enemy. Brilliant.

All that being said, I still feel that 'Revelations' served amazingly as a series finale. The back stretch of 10 are going to have to be pretty damned amazing to disabuse me of that notion.

19. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see I thought he had just said that everyone passes even if he discovers they're a Cylon but it makes sense that he doesn't know the true results either.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given some of the comments I've seen on Battlestar Wiki, the opening montage was left at the start of the episode for some viewers, maybe Canada ?

We'll see what happens when Sky One air the episode over here and when the episodes are released on DVD.