Battlestar Galactica 4x10: "Revelations"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 10, 2008.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

84.1%
  2. Above Average

11.2%
  3. Average

3.3%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent.

I wonder if the title `Revelations' is also referring to that part of the Bible? Looks like Earth may have suffered an Apocalypse or two... :eek:

2. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Average. The ending was pretty much what I thought we'd see when we got to Earth and even the fact that they got there half way through the season wasn't surprising given various remarks by Ron Moore.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I voted excellent, by the way. I was expecting this episode to reveal the final Cylon rather than Earth, but I am pleasantly surprised.

I'm going with the notion that the bridge was the Brooklyn Bridge and the city was New York.

I'd argue that so many disaster films and television shows (especially the recently discussed I Am Legend and Cloverfield) are set in New York because it's probably the most easily recognisable city in the world. And yes, as a Londoner, it irritates me somewhat to say that but the sheer number of internationally famous landmarks condensed in to one city makes it an obvious choice.

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

As the geiger counter was clicking away, several ideas clicked into place in my head too. Ron and the writes have scattered clues in this episode regarding what happened to Earth.

"Like it or not Lee, something is orchestrating this for a purpose"
    "A higher power?"

"All this has happen before"
    "But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change, to take a different path right here, right now."

For whatever reasons, this "higher power" has been causing the exodus of humans to Earth together with Cylons chasing the rag-tag fleet again and again. (Or perhaps I've read too much of Robert Jordan's WoT)

Previous Galacticas have jumped to Earth without making peace with the Cylons. And when the still angry Cylons eventually find Earth... nukes away. It seems to me that Lee and D'anna have finally broken the loop by making peace and journeying to Earth together.

What's left is dealing with this "higher power" who's been orchestrating everything.

5. Emh

Emh The Doctor Premium Member

Not completely because Cavil's side of the Cylon civil war are probably still alive.

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I KNEW IT! I figured they were the same universe when I first saw the film!:lol:

7. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

I think it was Lee or Starbuck who said something about jumping in a Raptor or two first to do recon, but as Adama said, they (apparently) have nowhere else to go, so "frak it". So they get there, and at least encounter no resistance, and send down some ships. Not like the whole fleet landed in that scene. So while he was pretty much completely burned out and thus maybe took a few more chances than he might normally take, it didn't seem totally beyond reason as long as no one was shooting at them when they jumped into orbit.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The camera work is about the same. :rommie:

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who was dismayed to behold Adm. Adama's tearful breakdown? This never would have happened to __________ (insert name of STAR TREK character and wait for flames). :lol:

Tigh, on the other hand, volunteered to give his life up. I was more impressed with him.

10. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I'm trying to think of a major character who never had an emotional breakdown on Star Trek, and it's not coming.

11. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would we want every Sci-fi show to be like Trek anyway?

12. N-121973

N-121973 Commander Red Shirt

Oh I don't know about that. If they were standing on the green next to the London Assembly building across from the Tower of London, panned around and you could see the remains of Tower Bridge and the remains of the London Skyline beyond such as the Dome of Saint Paul's and 'The Gerkin' or had them standing where the queues for the London Eye form now or by St. Thomas' Hospital and showed the remains of Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the ruined bridge had been Westminster Bridge , I think viewers the world over would have recognised it. Ditto the Eiffel Tower and Paris.
    I'm just annoyed I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see the episodes (I don't have access to Sky One anymore).

13. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

You should:

1. Wait twenty years, and then...

2. Show us, how Battlestar Galactica should really be remade.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'll need to watch it again before grading, but it wasn't quite yelling "Excellent" to me. Maybe too many beats were spoiled by last week's preview. And finding a ruined/abandoned Earth was exactly what I'd long expected.

I think it's likely the distant past, with the Colonials and Cylons as our progenitors...or the far future...the Colonials came from Earth before going to Kobol...or both..."all of this has happened before".

That the final Cylon is said to not be with the fleet supports my prior belief that it's a dead character...or possibly one who's known to have been left behind on the Colonies, New Caprica, wherever. That might also explain D'eanna's apology to one of the five in her vision.

It would seem Head Six was wrong--Baltar wasn't the only one of the Colonials stranded on Kobol who lived to see Earth...unless the Chief doesn't count as one of them anymore. But wasn't Seelix on Kobol, too?

And wasn't the "dying leader" not supposed to live to see Earth?

And I do think it's Earth...anything else wouldn't be dramatically appropriate at this point. Maybe they want to leave it vague as to exactly where/when on Earth they are...could be Atlantis or something.

15. Emh

Emh The Doctor Premium Member

You can't judge the episode on what you spoiled yourself on. I deliberately avoided the preview and loved the episode.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

^It's hard to grade objectively based on elements that were probably best experienced as surprises. It wasn't much of a problem in the past, but I may have to stop watching the previews if they're going to keep showing us too much.

17. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Story line wise, I'm totally okay with the whole Earth is destroyed oh, no now we've gotta work together to built a society thing.

But what bugged the living SHIT out me is that the finding Earth thing was so abrupt. One jump? One frakkin jump and we're there?????

And c'mon, you're telling me that something so monumental only got a five minute treatment? You spend what, 40 minutes with a stand off and just tack on "Well, we found what we're looking for!" in a matter of minutes?

Loved the story twist. The shoehorned feeling of the pacing of the final five minutes just made me angry.

And I can't help but wonder if some of the Earthlings made it off of the planet before it was destroyed. Maybe they managed to do some colonizing of their own before everything on Earth went to ashes.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I sense the effects of the writers' strike on that. If necessary, this could have been the final episode. It would have been the biggest f*** you ending to a television series ever, though.

Spending the entire series looking for a planet only to find it nuked to hell in the closing scene beats blasting John and Aeryn in to pieces any day. :lol:

19. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's what makes this show so good, the stalwart leader at last reaches his breaking point, it was at least as understandable as Picard's headstrong hissy fit in "First Contact". I mean Adama did just learn his best friend is one of the "enemy".

I to was impressed by Tigh.
    And found it of interest Roslin's new humbleness (though motivated by the preservation of the human species) when confronted by Tory.

I don't think it was one jump, from what Lee said we're supposed to have the impression there were a series of jumps -but it was only dramatically relevant when they reached the final jump just before Sol.

Sharr

20. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a fair amount of time compression, I thought. And there wasn't really much reason to drag it out. The next interesting thing that would happen is getting to Earth, so they may as well skip the three days of hard jumping to get there.