Battlestar Galactica 4x10: "Revelations"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 10, 2008.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

84.1%
  2. Above Average

11.2%
  3. Average

3.3%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being a major S4 doubter. This was a great episode. A couple more like these and I will be back on the BSG bandwagon. BTW Tigh is always bad ass.

2. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, Kobol is a lot closer to the colonies, which is most likely a lot closer to the Cylon homeworld then Earth. I'm sure the rest of the Cylons will be out for blood if they can rebuild the hub, and being closer to the Cylons (at a planet known to them no less) isn't the best idea.

Heck even if the Cylons can't rebuild the Hub I'm sure they have more then enough Basestars to wipe out both the Galactica and the rebel Basestar while taking minimal casualties themselves, which would be easy to do if they had to protect people living on Kobol.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

We don't know that for sure. Much of the planet could be healthy. All we saw was what happened to much (or all) of the civilization.

4. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder why they picked that spot. I mean, out of all of the planet to choose from, why there? Completely arbitrary? Maps from the Sacred Scrolls? Did it look promising from orbit (that's why they landed at the City of the Gods on Kobol: Those were the only (or biggest) ruins they found)?

5. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

Why didn't they just land next to the transponder? It was still broadcasting right?

6. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't they say something like "Let's pick a shore and land on it" or am I imagining things?

7. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Likely they went to the urban area with the largest infrastructure they could see from orbit, which would suggest New York.

8. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said this before, but nobody seems to have gotten it yet.

If this was NYC, then....

The Statue of Liberty could be Aurora, goddess of the dawn, because of her torch. The Ellis Island complex would the Temple of Aurora. So, they landed at the site of the Temple of Aurora.

9. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the supplies issue is very important. To get more supplies, they'd have to mine for tylium. They'd need to find water to get them to the algae planet at least. Then they'd have to get through the star field a second time. There's also the question of the Cylons along the way. Add to that, there's the promise of death to those who set foot on Kobol. Also, in the extended cut of the Pegasus 3 parter, they made it clear to Starbuck that Colonial jump drives have problems tracing their way long distances. The further from the target, the more uncertainty attaches. So, it doesn't seem that it's as simple as just tracing their way back the way they came. They'd actually find themselves searching for their targets along the way.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They would have been able to tell from orbit that the planet was dead and the cities destroyed. They certainly would have known on approach in their shuttles.

We see them standing on Earth and being disheartened, but that doesn't mean that they first discovered the planet's condition the moment they disembarked from their ships on the surface.

As for New York - who knows whether that would be the largest city in the world at the time that everything falls apart?

Or maybe they're just somewhere in New Jersey, in 2008.

11. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

Adama should have turrned to the others and said, "I was RIGHT! There is no Earth! You damn, dirty Colonials!"

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think they were purposely looking for some signs of civilization. In particular, they were trying to find the buildings described in the scrolls/prophesies. Those building remnants were likely a match for those pictures/descriptions.

13. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Point taken, though it really did look like the Brooklyn Bridge.

Personally, I wish it was Australia with the ruined Sydney Opera House in the background. There's a logic to that as well, with Australia likely hanging on a bit longer after nuclear oblivion wrecks the rest of the world. A nice homage to "On the Beach". (And the Galacticans really were standing "on the beach" in that final scene.)

14. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw it tonight, and it was fucking fantastic. Just brilliant.

15. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Took a while to get over that episode. Brilliant and heart wrenching. An emotional roller coaster This could have easily been the series Finale. I could almost imagine something as dark as that happening. But mid way through season 4 I never expected it and was totally surprised. Ron Moore had always said that the series would end with Galactica getting to Earth. Now I feel things have totally changed and the rug once again pulled from under our feet. Certainly the most stunning cliffhanger I have seen. They really out do themselves each time. Adama losing it was some fine acting.

Where next? No idea. I can't even guess.

16. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were looking for the Met... the Opera House.

or maybe they knew that if they can make it there, they can make it anywhere.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent! The first excellent of this mostly slow, tedious season. I really enjoyed this episode. It was tense and action packed. The well realized characters finally had interesting things to do. However, this should've been episode 5 of the 4th season. There was way too much filler getting to this point. It would've been much more tight and intense if things had been streamlined. With 5 episodes you'd get to explore everything they did but just not as mired down.

A few points, we now know that Dee and Gaeta (Sharr = lock, stock, and barrel) are NOT Cylons. D'Anna said there were four in the fleet and we know those four. I see no reason for her to lie.

So, that was basically a signal to us to stop trying to guess who it is among the fleet. It's, as I postulated, something different. I think it's Head-Six. She must've come and spoken with D'Anna. Of course, we don't know the true nature of Head-Six either . . .

Interestingly, D'Anna originally said that they needed all 5 to get to Earth. But, in reality, all 5 were never by the Viper. In fact, the Viper revealed location of Earth when none of the final Cylons were near it. Starbuck was in it. We know she's not the final Cylon either. Clearly, something was sending the message which was triggering the four and the Viper at the same time.

I'm glad they found Earth, and I've long guessed that it was going to be a destroyed Earth in the future. I'm guessing the four will continue their reawakening. They will probably starting getting knowledge about Earth and what happened. This mid-season finale really did a great job and showing what an epic search this had been and the stark disappointment it was finding a ruined Earth. It'll be really interesting learning what happened. I'm glad we have time to explore this.

Apparently the bigger mystery is who is the 3rd party that is manipulating both the humans and Cylons. Is it the final cylon or something different? How is Starbuck connected. Clearly she has a destiny and she was in the Viper when it revealed its secrets.

And, did Lee's truce break the cycle of what's gone on before will happen again. Is that broken? Hard to say when you're not quite sure what's gone on before. A temporary truce might've been a part of what has happened!

Mr Awe

18. Mr Awe

They're holding her back in order to reveal her as the final Cylon later in the season. Or, so I'm guessing!

Mr Awe

19. Mr Awe

20. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Problem is, there is no bridge to/from Ellis Island. So the ruins of the bridge clearly seen in the last shot are problematic if that's supposed to be Ellis Island. (Unless of course this is some future Earth and at some point prior to whatever apocalypse happened, someone built a bridge there.)