Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm also a fan of Romita Jr's work on Kick-Ass but not impressed with his recent work otherwise.

2. Cap10Kirk

Cap10Kirk Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone. New guy here. I came upon this forum completely by chance because I was doing a little searching on the whole AvX thing. I love the conversation thus far. I have a question. What do you guys mean by "decompression"?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Decompression is taking longer to tell a story, thus robbing the spender of their value. While in the olden days stories were often told in a single issue, now stories are spaced out to fit a trade collection of six or so issues, called "pacing for the trade". This often shows up in the form of unnecessary splash pages, silent panels of characters exchanging looks, and banter dialogue that goes on and on without really accomplishing something.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Bendis is the master of that, even going back to his great runs on Daredevil and Captain America. He takes five-to-six issues to wrap up a storyline when he should be taking four.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It isn't just a matter of decompression though to me right now, as a Bendis fan that is something you are automatically used it. It is more than that. As I mentioned in the Heroic Age/Marvel thread he is becoming like Geoff Johns on Green Lantern, complacent with his work. He has been with these characters for so long that he has no fresh ideas or seemingly any passion for them. At least with Johns, he is able to focus on one particular character and you know automatically that he LOVES writing that character. I don't see that in Bendis' work at the moment with any character. That is the frustrating part for me. He is capable of good writing, but not in his 616 work. For example, that passion has been directed and refocused to Miles Morales and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Most of the book has been brilliant so far, as was the Death of Spider-Man. Just his 616 work has been suffering due to this though. It's like he's bored with these characters.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, this is his last Avengers year, maybe he's recognized that he's getting tired with them.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No he is just not changing. He is become too rooted to one narrative style.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Bendis's Peter Parker is the character who sounds the most off to me. Hopefully he will stick with Miles and never get near Peter again.

9. Admiral_Young

While I'm excited for "Spider-Men" in June, I'm wary over how he is going to write 616 Peter. It's probably going to be the same as he writes him in Avengers, which is as comedic fodder. I agree with House of UIster he is too rooted now to change or evolve as a writer.

10. Cap10Kirk

Cap10Kirk Cadet Newbie

Yeah, I can see that. I often felt frustrated with the Siege storyline. I felt it went on way too long. Now I understand it was probably for the trades. Crazy.

11. Admiral_Young

The writing for trade technique was really apparent, I thought in Matt Fraction's horrendous and now pretty much pointless "Fear Its Self" book. Every single issue of that book felt like it was "trade ready" already.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Despite being labeled an AvX crossover, New Avengers 24 doesn't really have much to do with AvX. It's a Luke and Jessica story using AvX as a frame. I was hoping for a little expansion on Storm's reaction to the situation as seen in the preview, but there is none. As I said in the other thread, I buy NA anyway, and like Luke and Jessica, so I don't feel gipped by the story, but if you're buying it for the AvX connection, you may be disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  13. Hound of UIster

Luke Cage = Bendis Insert.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i have no interest in Luke and Jessica and was expecting some AvX story. i assume Storm's allegiance will be addressed in a future issue of Uncanny X-Men...maybe.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Bendis writes him like that mostly to just give him a larger identity so he doesn't get lost in the crowd.

I bet without the group to distract from the show, his 616 Peter will work. (Could be wrong, but that's simply my thoughts)

16. Turtletrekker

Preview for AvX 2 and next week's AvX crossovers...
    Funny how Storm just shows up out of the blue on Utopia. Wasn't she just in New York when the Avengers were planning this thing? Did she beat the heli-carrier west by riding winds? No advance warning to Cyclops? Nothing from Storm to Cyclops saying that she knew this was coming? WTF?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  17. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

does anyone have a list of the big marvel events from the past few years?

18. Hound of UIster

Secret War
    Avengers DisAssembled
    House of M
    Civil War
    World War Hulk
    Secret Invasion
    Messiah Complex
    Dark Reign
    Utopia
    Siege
    Fear Itself
    Second Coming
    Schism

19. Admiral_Young

Storm's abrupt arrival doesn't surprise me at all. As fast as she left the strategy meeting, is as fast as she arrives to Utopia lol.

20. Turtletrekker