AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Well I didn't win the joke competition :(.

It also doesn't look like there's a midnight showing at my cinema.

2. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I figure it's got to be a byproduct of the new element instead of the palladium and maybe coupled with the shards.

I mean, surely medical tech can remove the shards in universe, so keeping the power supply in your chest must have other benefits.

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Inertial dampening is sometimes credited with this. Presumably this explanation was cribbed from Star Trek.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Keep in mind how Tony crashed in the Iron Man suit prototype he built in the cave and he survived a pretty severe crash inside of it. He also survived numerous -unprotected- crashes testing out various elements of the Mark I suit/the "real one."

We're dealing with comic-book physics here. Tony was also able to produce a brand-new, highly-powerful element in his basement!

So, yeah, I'd say he just "somehow" survives the impacts while in the suit.

5. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

I saw Avengers at a media preview last night. Quite the publicity show.

There were chaps dressed in S.H.I.E.L.D uniforms, with red electronic truncheons, glowing lights, a blast door, and a mix of Hulk green and dark cocktails (alongside champagne, and red and white wine). The 3D glasses came in Hulk, Iron-Man, Thor and other varieties. (My Thor glasses were very Dame Edna Everage.)

The film's embargoed until 20th, so I can't talk about the details until then.

Go see it.

6. DAYoung

"Mjolnir, come to thy rightful owner!"

[​IMG]

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the 'best' of the jokes Empire received on Twitter. The first two were the winners. Bit disappointed none of mine made the cut.

My favourite two were probably -

What's the Hulk's favourite meal?

Banners and Smash

Why did Tony Stark get aroused at the dinner table?

He has a thing for Pepper Potts.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i love the one about Nick Fury's depth perception.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I have begun the GRADE, REVIEWS, DISCUSS thread for The Avengers knowing this would be the case. I hope you'll post your review there tomorrow!!

10. DAYoung

I might write something for my blog. If so, I'll link to it here.

In the meantime, I'll link to a review by a friend of mine. (If that's OK. The embargo's finished here.)

11. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Well, I would note that:

1) engineers are "always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper". They build more capacity into any system than they strictly need, just in case.

2)The storage capacity of a power cell can be said to be "X", and "overcharging" the cell might damage it but in general it's not going to just go "poof" the microsecond it goes a tenth of a percent over that limit (unless you are talking about the physical tolerances of the materials it's constructed of, in which case see my first point).

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I'm also reminded of the famous confrontation between the 616 Tony (aka the Iron Facist) and Thor over the creation of "Clor"

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2631834.html

The film Thor may or may not be fighting at full power.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

What if it it's a few times over the limit? Are engineers that conservative on paper?

;)

14. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thor was not being 100% truthful in that scene. He also possessed the Odinpower then. His own power levels were through the roof. That's why Iron Man couldn't do a damn thing to him, and his strikes were devasting.

Without the Odinforce, Thor is about 50% more powerful than Iron Man. With it he's at least 150% more powerful. It makes a big difference.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

We don't know what the "limit" is though. We don't know how much energy Tony's reactor produces. I don't know enough engineering or physics to sit down and do an "energy budget" for all the armor's capabilities.

We're also talking about a world where, among other things, man can create a literally unbreakable metal, anti-gravity, unstable molecules, hand-held energy weapons, etc.

If you want to dismiss it as "handwavium", go ahead. All I'm pointing out is that within the context of the MU (even the movie universe), "super science" is a lot less "super" and a lot more "common" than ours.

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Care to cite for me where your claim about his power level is justified? Not the part about Odinforce, but the idea that he's only 50% more powerful than Tony w/o it.

I know of no basis to think that Thor was not telling the truth when he said he'd been holding back, and a lot of the events in the Thor books (esp the older ones) back that contention up.

Simply put, Thor is a member of Club Superman, those characters who, if written at their full canon power, are simply too overwhelmingly powerful for most threats they face solo, never mind in team books.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Mark I AR was rated at 3GJ/s, the Mark II and III Paladium AR's seemed to give maybe 10 times that based on the Mark II/III suits. The Mark IV (Vibranium) AR was just given as 'significantly higher', lets argue 5 times more again or 50 times the original, 150GJ/s.

The suit in the movie would have to be able to withstand it's capacitors receiving charge from the reactor all at once depending on what Tony was planning, split between them perhaps, and a little buffering so say 175 maybe?

In other words, more than anything else on Earth could throw at him so I doubt he thought anything actually physically could do that to him. A man with a hammer throwing around hundreds of Gigajoules? I don't think anyone "expects" that.

18. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't deny that. But Iron Man is no slouch either. He's one of the Avenger's heavy hitters and always has been. Depending on the writer and the armor he's wearing he can come within shouting distance of Thor. Although Thor is clearly the more powerful of the two by a substantial margin.

The percentages are estimates based on having read their respective books, and The Avengers, for years (late 70s -late 90s).

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Since the review embargo has been lifted and the grading / discussion thread is open, I think the Avengers Anticipation Station has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.