AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't even think that would be an issue with Iron Man. Short of another alien invasion, Tony's ego would prevent him from asking for anybody else's help anyway.

To me the only issue future movies have to deal with is why Fury and SHIELD (who seem to be aware of everything that's going on) don't intervene and force Thor, Cap, etc to help out during one of those huge, city-wide battles that happen in nearly every superhero movie.

Thousands of lives are being endangered by some rampaging monster or supervillain, and Fury is just gonna let Iron Man or Cap handle it on their own? Really??

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well we saw how useful SHIELD was in the Thor movie and the Black Widow did help out in the second Iron Man movie, but in the end the heroes were left to solve the problems themselves.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Second post credits scene revealed

SPOILER

After the battle, the Avengers team are sitting quietly with no dialogue eating shwarma.

Photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's soo Joss Whedon. :guffaw:

5. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Slightly miffed that this is being added to the print almost a week after it's been released elsewhere. Hopefully it'll be on there when I go and see it again this weekend.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So that spoiler photo that I didn't look at is an additional second end credits scene not on the current international print of the film? Yes I posted the link but didn't actually read the article myself.

I wonder if that is anything to do with that scene they shot mid-April after the official L.A. premiere.
    Does this help ensure repeat business internationally? Some here have seen it twice already. Others about the net I see have as well. Does this piss them off or just an excuse they didn't really need to view it a third time?

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Updates on the International Numbers for The Avengers and they are crazy good still!!! The current tally stands at $260.5m thus far after 8 full days in International release!! Could this hit $300m internationally before it opens officially on Friday in North America?!!

Also in the piece is an uptick from Fandango
    My original thought as that by releasing international first they would basically "trick" that large population who would turn to piracy by making it available there first thus forcing them to pay up vs download.
    Now I'm thinking it could be two fold. The industry loves domestic holiday weekend openers. It's why Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas are coveted slots.
    The first weekend in May has been the de-facto start of summer domestically for some time now but internationally there are a few holidays just before. We saw the Australian one timed with Avengers and this piece mentions it was timed in Thailand & Singapore as well to open on national holidays.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to add another point, which isn't really even a spoiler really, but I'll use the code just in case anyone who hasn't seen it hopes it will happen...
    War Machine isn't in it.

Indeed he's not even mentioned at all. You could say why doesn't Shield get him involved? Or at least ask him to help, when NY is under attack by hordes of alien monsters you're gonna want all the firepower you can.

Obvs I guess the real reason is they didn't want another "iron-man" in the movie, so as to not steal Iron Man, or indeed RDJ's thunder onscreen, when there was another character who was just as strong as him, if not more, and all all the same powers too.

9. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Armond White has returned!!

[​IMG]

If you really feel the need to give this guy hits:

http://cityarts.info/2012/05/02/pavlov’s-franchise/

10. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

This was pretty good:

:wtf:

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Looks like there's a gap in the market for a competent reviewer/journalist where Armond White works.

12. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Never before, have I been tempted to choke a man to death with my cock, but... That guy... That fuckin' guy... :devil:

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Who's Josh Wheedon?

14. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, the Troll Emeritus returns. :lol:

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ghost Rider 2 was "daring"? I had no idea. Guess I'll have to check it out now.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Plus he says that Black Widow had a small cameo in Captain America. :o

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who the hell is that guy anyways? He definitely takes himself waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to seriously.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I rewatched Iron Man, and was surprised that it was better than I remembered. I mean I always enjoyed it, and I love RDJ in it, but I don't remember being too impressed with it initially.

I know others have already confirmed it, but I have always believed Iron Man/Downey is going to be one of the high points of this film.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Ebert:

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was about to say something about you taking that line out of context since he gave it 3 starts. But after I read the review I started to wonder why he gave it 3 stars.

He spends two thirds of the review seemingly talking about how run of the mill the whole thing is. Only in the last paragraph does he award it some praise.