Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Admiral

why? Because he had the nerve to speak his mind about the holy Marvel universe where every actor would sell his soul to be a part of?

The way he describes it they barely needed him and it sure was no acting scene at all.

We always forget that for actors it's usually a job.. those who made it in the business and can choose their roles often do so because there is something in the story or character that interests them but they are not above making some easy or quick money.

Just look at Sir Ben Kingsley.. he played Gandhi and he also starred in an Uwe Boll movie.

So if he speaks his mind he's free to do so.. it's a free world He might need to live with the consequences if the upper management of Marvel is vindictive and doesn't like an actor mouthing off but i get the feeling Elba might do just fine without the Heimdall role.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Joss Whedon has since confirmed Elba's story...

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

When I read Elba's comments in context, I had - and have - some actual sympathy for him.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. People are quick to just say "He is hating on the films!" When in reality he simply found the job asked of him that particular day comparably tedious and without passion next to such a personal and challenging project as playing Mandela. He is only human. I'd rather hear him speak his mind.

5. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Yeah. And as much as we all love the MCU movies, and other stuff along those lines, you have to admit that there is probably a lot of stuff they have the actors doing that feels really goofy and kind of stupid at the time.

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Commodore Commodore

I have no sympathy for Elba; he gets paid money for this. If he doesn't like the money he gets, then he can tell them to go to hell; but he shouldn't take their money and then whine about what he was paid to do.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

By Odin's fucking beard man, why are you taking this shit so personally. He isn't saying the movie is bad. He is just blowing off steam about spending a day in a harness and a giant costume hanging from a green screen room. Get a grip.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft Premium Member

Does that mean no one can moan about work, I mean they are being paid to do it and not walking away.

9. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Nathan Fillion got very grumpy about having to spend hours in a harness when filming Firefly, according to Whedon on a commentary track. And Fillion agreed. So, if Fillion - a man who adores Firefly and his time on it - can get grumpy about such things, I'm willing to give Elba the benefit of the doubt.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, so you've never bitched about your job before? And no, him making more money than you is a bullshit counterpoint. Don't make it.

11. Mage

Mage Commodore Commodore

Fuck, my boss knows when there's something about my work I don't like doing. I still effing do it, and so did Elba. So stop complaining.

12. Timby

Timby LIKE LIGHTNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING Administrator

He has no responsibility to Marvel besides showing up for work when his contract says he's supposed to. Heimdall is a pretty thankless role in the Thor films and I'm sure his appearance in Avengers 2 is little more than a brief cameo, one for which he had to fly halfway around the world for a day or two of work, work that more than likely doesn't pay particularly well, given Marvel's well-publicized penchant for being stingy. I'd bitch about that, too. I'd do my work, but if someone asked me how I felt about it, I'd tell them.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

So I wonder if that will have to hoped for effect and actually stop people from leaking stuff like this.

15. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

16. RAMA

RAMA Vice Admiral Admiral

This trailer is really impressive in Imax. Dare I say it, it's one of the best trailers ever.

17. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Commodore Commodore

So just to be clear, someone put a gun to Elba's head and made him take a crappy deal. No responsibility on his part for not being happy.

He can gripe all he wants; but it has no weight and undermines his credibility. If he doesn't want to do the work, then don't make the deal.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

He never said he didn't want the work. He said the scene wasn't fun to film.

19. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Which was fair enough, to my eyes.

20. Mage

Mage Commodore Commodore

It is, but some people have this false image of actors/actresses. They are humans with a job, and sometime you don't like parts of your job. Hell, most actors go into the business for acting, not hanging in wires and speaking against greenscreens. So yeah, you do your job, but sometimes it's ok to not like some aspects of it.