Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Klaus, Nov 6, 2012.

1. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They can go either way and it will be fine with me.

Either just ignore it, or do a story around getting beyond that limitation.

I can't imagine them killing the show based on this. It's just too popular.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Easy money, the Valeyard will show up when the Rani does... In other words... never again...

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Like a false cancellation rumour will work. It'll never work as soon as the press get a hold of it the BBC will be for a lot of flak.

DW is a massive show, a huge hit for the BBC, it's not unheard of the press to publish pictures of episodes being filmed. DW isn't some show that only pulls in a few million viewers, it can pull in over 7m+ with an audiance share of ~40%.

Never mind the cancelling the show part, simply planting a false rumour will likely get the BBC into trouble.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, sorry, the cancellation rumor part wasn't meant as entirely serious. Even if there weren't legal issues, there would still be the backlash issues (Viewers leaving the show because they don't know it's not really cancelled, viewers that leave the show because they're pissed off about being jacked around....)

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that the greater question is "Will the TARDIS allow The Doctor to die?" We've already seen that the TARDIS has regenerative power through it's power source; it even managed to make Captain Jack nearly immortal.

I think it's a symbiotic relationship at this point. The TARDIS will keep The Doctor alive as long as The Doctor keeps the TARDIS alive.

6. Sindatur

That works too, I've love it if the TARDIS has stored up so much Arctron Energy through her travels that she can grant an undisclosed number of Regenerations...Doctor 13 says goodbye to her as he lays down for the final sleep, and she brings him back...and Ginger :D

7. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

How about this idea:

The universe won´t let the Doctor die.

Simple as that. When he rebooted the universe at the end of season 5, he became linked to it. He´s now an integral part of the fabric of time and and space itself. The universe will always find a way to bring the doctor back. Not nessecarily via a 13th regeneration right away. He would be reincarnated the classic budissm way, when enough linear time has passed (lets say...like...twenty years) the TARDIS would materialise around him and he would get his memories back. And this would start a new regeneration cycle.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If they do go beyond the 12 regeneration limit, best not to explain it. Just leave it as a mystery of the universe. After all any attempt to explain it is going to annoy some part of the fan base (true so will not explaining it)

But in the case of River, she got her regeneratgions in part because she was concieved whilst traveling through the vortex. Who knows perhaps all those centuries of travelling through the vortex have had an impact on the Doctor. Whilst most time lords stayed at home.

9. Sindatur

I too have thought about him simply getting more Regeneration juice from al his travels in the Vortex. IIRC, In the Gallifrey Adventures (Or perhaps Zagreus or Neverland) Audioplays, they specifically attribute the Regenerations long life of the Time Lords evolving precisely from travels in the Time Vortex

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we can agree there exist a dozen or more "in universe" reasons to get around a 12 regeneration limit and thus carry on as normal (well as "normal" as things get in DW).

If Doctor Who is "riding high" in ratings and popularity come the time actor # 13 decides to "retire" from the role, the BBC sure as $%^& will NOT cease production simply due to a plot point created specifically for a mid 70s serial.

Sincerely,

Bill

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes I somehow doubt they thought it would still be an air in 2012 when that line was written.

12. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

We have no idea how much longer Matt Smith's run will go. And then whoever the next doctor's run would go and we would still need one more doctor after that. Could be over a decade before we see the writers come up with a way to get around this.

13. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Smith recently said in an interview with Empire magazine that there was no way he'd match Tom Baker's seven years, as the show was too demanding; though he was particularly tired at the time. I'm thinking that season eight will be his final or Twelve's first. Would like to see Smith complete at least four full seasons, though.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Simith was already guaranteed to be sticking around until 2014?

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ I heard something similar too. 2014 would probably mean season eight.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well they could always end the 50th Anniversary episode with a Regeneration.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think they've already stated that won't happen...of course they could be lying but I doubt they could keep that a secret.

18. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope they just completely ignore it when the time comes. Business as usual. Not even a mention. Mainly because I'd really enjoy reading all the ensuing crying and bitching on the internet.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^I can imagine that these would be the very same people moaning that the show had been cancelled (If the BBC keeps to the 12 Regeneration limit)

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Timelords can steal reginerations from other timelords, IIRC, now he just needs to find another timelord, Romana should be out there, in E-Space ;)