anyone here have a cinema degree?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by MadaBidyoni, Feb 3, 2013.

1. MadaBidyoni

MadaBidyoni Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi
    someone here learned from giannetti's book "understanding movies"?
    putting his citizen kane chapter aside, do you have a film that could demonstrate all the terms from the book? (preferably "the godfather" and/or "annie hall". preferably if you could demonstrate all the terms in 1-2 sequences from the films).
    that could help a lot
    thanks

2. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

This is a book I'm 95 percent certain I read in college.......26 years ago. If it's the book I think it is, it had----and may still have-----a section on TOUCH OF EVIL. I majored in English and minored in RTVF. While I learned a hell of a lot from my film courses, I won't pretend to remember all of Giamatti's terms in his book. But I'll bet he mentioned mise-en-scene as well as assorted approaches to film shooting, narrative and techniques involved for specific classic films. If you want to list some of the terms your edition has, I could most likely apply them to THE GODFATHER......

......though it's worth noting other films, whether drama or escapism, can probably be adapted to Giamatti's terms.

3. MadaBidyoni

he has examples there... but from a lot of films
    i need a film, or better - a scene from a film that include all or most of the terms :)

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you asking people to do your homework? ;)

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Sounds like it...

:lol:

6. Foxhot

Can the terms be listed here? Then the definitions could possibly come back to us.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

anyone here have a cinema degree?

No, but I am widely acknowledged to be one of the Internet's leading experts on film. What is your specific question, fellow traveler? :)

8. Foxhot

As am me. I. Whatever. I know where the longest sustained scream in film history is, plus other uselessly good stuff.:cool:

9. MadaBidyoni

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I didn't get a film degree but took several film classes. I've read that book and written a similar paper. I'm a John Ford Fanatic, so I wrote mine based around Stagecoach. It's been a long time though, I can't really remember the details.

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have "Film as Literature" and "Shakespeare in Film." I wrote about Casablanca, A Midsummer Night's Dream (Kevin Klein version), and Sunset Boulevard. Now, Sunset Boulevard can provide a lot of fodder for an essay, though maybe less regarding photography than other films.

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I've seen a lot of movies. Does that count?

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk The Real Me Premium Member

I have an art degree. Close enough?

14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Admiral Admiral

I still haven't seen The Godfather. I should get around to seeing it someday. I did do some research on the cinema of Chuck Norris. That man doesn't get enough credit.

15. Foxhot

I agree totally. I only had to see MISSING IN ACTION II: THE BEGINNING once. When he said ''Back off, mister,'' they should've given him 1985's Best Actor award then and there.