Anybody want books/additional media about life on "Earth?"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Danoz, Mar 24, 2009.

1. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because if there's one thing that'll protect the Colonials from lung diseases, its building a city and recreating a technological society on an uninhabited planet. Except for how, that time they did build a city and attempt to recreate a technological society, Sam Anders almost died of pneumonia.

I would've actually let that one slide if you stuck with malaria, but it was just too tempting a callback. ;)

I'm guessing he'd probably be lynched by some people from the mining ship, or the refinery ship, or anyone else who's biggest problem on the exodus wasn't boredom. Hell, probably a few people from the nice ships that were stir-crazy from the boredom might join in, too.

2. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    I honestly don't think there's much of anything left to tell in the nuBSG story. It's similar to the way I feel about Middle Earth, in that the stories are so intrinsically tied to the characters that once their arcs are complete, there's not much else there.

I mean it would be like a series or book dealing with Dorothy's (Wizard of Oz) life in high school or something. Completely anti-climactic and pointless. Her story is done. So are those of the BSG characters.

However, I would not be opposed to a glimpse into the situation of the colonials in general. Focusing on a minor character (like Hoshi, Seelix or Lampkin). That might work, since these characters don't really have thematic arcs (at least, not to nearly the same degree). There could be a wide range of stories (religion, social organization, ethics, etc.) told from what would be a new perspective for the most part, fleshing out characters who were previously only footnotes. If, as I suspect, such novels were written by people other than the regular BSG writing staff/RDM, such an arrangement would give them much more flexibility to have their own take on these characters.

But I am against messing with what I feel is a good thing. Anything else related to the main characters in anything other than a cursory way would be unnecessary.

Imagine Seelix starting a junta, though! That I would pay to see...uh...read. :lol:

3. arch101

arch101 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These characters only work in the context of the series. They are citizens of their society or it's mobile semblance. Anything additional would be pretty dull. Baltar and Caprica turning into American Gothic? Apollo turning into Grizzly Adams? Helo and Athena's little house on the Prairie? Doc Cottle, Medicine Man (and tobacconist)? Nah. It's over. I wouldn't mimd some fiction about the years before the fall of the Colonies, however. There must have been some stories to tell. The crew seemed to have plenty of combat experience beyond just training. How'd that happen?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want stories set on Kobol.

5. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

A book series might be cool. I think Adama's story is done, and Tyrol's as well, but there seemed to be a main settlement with Tigh, Ellen, Romo, Athea, Helo and Lee when hes not 'exploring' that would be cool to revisit and see their life on Earth.

6. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.

That and both Old Earth before its fall and New Earth during its fall.

7. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd be interested in a couple of books set after the series finale just because I have trouble letting anything go!

8. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahh, I can see it now.

TYROL
    Frack it's cold.

TYROL
    I'm hungry.

TYROL dies.

9. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

How about medications and hospitals help cure diseases? I think that's a simple enough point. They specifically mentioned that folks were left with "only the clothes on their backs". Even if they carried a short supply of meds, without manufacturing technology, they would be out in a short span of time.

10. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

I was going to say flat out "no" at first, but the one thing I could really go for would be an open-call anthology for short stories, each depicting the writer's own version of what happened next, or of side stories. In other words, pro-level fan-fic, a bit like the Trek Strange New Worlds contest anthologies, but not limited to new writers.

I would just love to see many people's different ideas, and more power to them if they all completely contradict each other. A big "what if" anthology, if you will.

11. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

These would be the same medicines they ran out of on New Caprica, despite their magnificent city, right?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the main reason New Caprica didn't work out (apart from the whole thing with the Cylons) was that it was a dismal shithole of a planet with a lousy climate. Not so for Earth, obviously. Trying to build a city there would have been a lot easier, surely.

13. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Yeah but it grew some kick-ass weed.

14. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah... too bad they already used up whatever city-building equipment they had (which was, what exactly? some tons of scaffolding and tarpaulin?) on that planet, and left it there on their way out. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  15. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never been interested by books based on TV shows or films, sci-fi or not, extended universe, etc... but strangely, eventhough i think the story is complete, i think that would be fun. But only if written by the same team that wrote the series !

16. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling that their circumstances on New Caprica were as much a result of being on a resource-less shithole with a numbnut leading their government. Could the same thing happen on New Earth? Sure, if all the stars line up (or "God makes it happen" :rolleyes:). But they would be giving themselves the best possible chance by trying rather than saying "eh...fuck it."

I think that stuff was made up of parts of ships they took apart. Building a city wasn't going to be easy for sure but nuEarth had more resources that New Caprica did and half the fleet wasn't running away anymore. They could completely focus themselves on re-building. It might have taken a hundred years to even get to 10% of where they were on Caprica but it'd be better than nothing.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

No, it'll be either too morbid or too optimistic.

18. blueskin

blueskin Ensign Red Shirt

yes, I was thinking something like ""Greg Cox To reign in hell (the exille of Khan) "" for the Humans, and a book about the Cylons that left.

Also (kind of a joke)
    But I think a book set 150,300 years after the finale, would'be fun. Return of the toasters A star trek type of ship finds Caprica, and the Cylon home world.