Anybody reading Star Trek: Crew (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jiraiya, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Lieutenant Red Shirt

Apr 27, 2007
    Written and drawn by John Byrne, the mini-series features an interesting take on a pre-TOS Federation as seen through the eyes of Pike's future exec Number One (and still has no name :)). The comic is in fact dedicated to Majel Barret-Roddenberry memory which was thoughtful.

Byrne really went all-out in giving the book a pre-TOS feel, from the uniforms as seen in the TOS pilot to mentions of time-warp as opposed to just warp speed.

One big flaw in the first issue features a Constitution class prototype (circa the 2240's as the ship is brand new, complete with NX designations, which is revealed later to be christened as the Enterprise at a later date) being rescued... by the Constitution, which makes little sense to me.

The second issue features an alien marauder that looks very much like a Ferengi vessel that of course never gets identified ;).

All-in-all, it has a cool retro feel to it and features for the first time some back story on Number One.

2. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jul 12, 2001
    correcting grammar on Wikipedia
    I like the exploration of the Pike-era, actually the April-era. Nice touches all around for the pre-TOS feel. I'd like to see a clunky Dedaelus-class ship!
  3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

Mar 25, 2005
    Lost Vegas
    I've been digging it. Byrne has managed to capture the feel of what watching an April-era series might have felt like.
  4. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Mar 9, 2004
    I'm enjoying this - like Mike said, the pre-TOS texture of it is good.
    I especially liked the Dan Dare spacesuits in issue #2....
  5. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Mar 4, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I've never been a huge Byrne fan but his Trek work for IDW has been great.