Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems more like a case of patching things up rather than a smooth ride all the way through.

2. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Whoever comes in now would have to direct a movie that's already written, cast, designed, and storyboarded/pre-visualized. That's probably not something a lot of directors would want to do.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, yes it could.

This movie was envisioned so long ago that it didn't need to make 10 million to live up to expectations, god forbid 100 million.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Could it? Sure, but probably not. I don't think the issue is if it's the "right" director, so much as a satisfactory director. If they can't find a director they're happy with then, obviously, it won't get made since you can't make a movie without a director. But Marvel movies clearly don't require perfect fits to work.

Yeah, it probably would be worth it. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Clean Old Mod Moderator

Is Richard Lester available?

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No, but I hear Brett Ratner is.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm buying a ticket for opening day.....

....for something else.

:p

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Brett Ratner is a very underrated director.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    He's only semi-decent when he's working with Chris Tucker.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Not in any movie I've seen him do with Chris Tucker...

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    I enjoyed 'Money Talks' and the Rush Hour films. They aren't high art or anything, but they are fun films. And at least in the Rush Hour films you have the added benefit of Jackie Chan (who's nerfed a lot, but still...).

13. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do think X-Men 3 is as good as the first one and about as good as it would have been if Singer had stayed on. It's certainly much, much, much better than Superman Returns.

Part of what annoyed me about Days of Future Past was I went in all smugly prepared for it to be average at best so I could go "Ha, see, he's not all that! Matthew Vaughan is sorely missed!", but in defiance of all expectations (his films since X-2 have been pretty crap, I'd have said by this point he needed X-Men more than X-Men needed him) it turned out to be very good. Hoist by my own petard.

In terms of Ant Man... Whilst I get it's work for hire thing, Marvel have generally been pretty good at selecting directors, they've not just grabbed the first guy walking past the office but put some though into the selection process so as to ensue everyone goes in on the same page and wanting to make the same sort of film. That's why this falling apart so spectacularly at the last second after years in development seems so bonkers.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Douglas comments on Edgar Wright's departure from the film:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKRFLPq_FHM[/yt]

15. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I can see what you're saying, but isn't that pretty much how most of the big studio movies are made these days. The final say pretty much always lays on the shoulders of the producers/studio people, unless the director is a producer (which is why so many directors start producing their own movies).
    The movies have all been very unique, and a lot of that does seem to come from the directors, so it seems to me that Marvel isn't taking complete and total control over every aspect of the films.
    I've seen other films from Shane Black and James Gunn, and Iron Man 3 seemed to be very much a Shane Black movie to me, while GoTG is very clearly a James Gunn movie.
    I guess to me if Kevin Feige was as much of a control freak with these movies as you're making him out to be, the movies would be a lot more homogenized.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

"I still get paid, right?"

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Given the years and years of pre-production work, and the finished script, and the fact they were just about to shoot, surely any hack can step in now and shoot the things that have already been set in stone?

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They don't want a hack, they want a good director which is a problem because no good director is stupid enough to get near this rushed project. :p

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What I'm saying is, if Wright was weeks/months away from filming, surely every single action sequence has already been meticulously storyboarded out and the script is done (I know, Marvel made changes he didn't like). It's got to be like 90% planned out already.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral