Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

May-September romances and relationships were fairly common in American culture at the time period when the comics came out. Usually that resulted in young women just becoming adults (18, 19, 20) and marrying an older man who might be 40 and established and able to provide for a family.

There were quite a few of these in my hometown. That changed during the sexual revolution of the seventies. All along women had dated and fallen in love with young men, but often ended up discarding them for someone more mature. However with the sexual revolution, people often discounted the advice of their parents and married for love and based upon sexual compatibility.

That practice has continued in Hollywood, far overshadowing reality, with lots of married on screen couples showing a significant age gap. Of course the other was considered improbable even foolish up until the mid-nineties when films like The White Palace came out.

Having Michael Douglass play Pym doesn't make much sense as it really limits the story and makes casting more difficult.

Once comic books were counter-culture or they were strictly juvenile popular culture. Because the demographic in the beginning was 25-35 year old men for the comic based films, then you'd expect to see wish fulfillment for those folks. Now the same people are attending, plus their older fathers who originally read comics like Antman. A good portion of comic readers are women today. I believe sometimes approaching 25%.

Since so many have been made, and are pretty guaranteed of success based upon drawing the same folks each time, then more and more mainstream actors are willing to do a blockbuster and then have more economic freedom to do other things like Wonder Boys or even independent films like Solitary Man.

One would hope though that they'd cast someone younger...a lot younger than 69. Otherwise he'll be perpetually show musing and having flashbacks about his younger self fighting crime.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A 19 year old is still a child, it's just their parents are sick of them and the government wants to send them to war, so we pretend that they are mature.

3. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually this is a modern invention that people magically become adults at age X.

For much of human history, young people were adults as early as age 13. In fact it was fairly common for two young people to be married by 15. It's just that with public education things changed and teenagers became a phenomena. Prior to public education in America people likely married and stayed with their parents because they couldn't afford a home, and they inherited a home over time. Otherwise a few homesteaded and so gained property and often at very young ages.

Re: war
    Prior to the Vietnam War, the average age of an American soldier was ~25-26. The big deal with Vietnam and subsequent wars was the lowering of that standard.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think we may be trying too hard to make the movie conform to the comic-book continuity. If Douglas is playing Pym, it's likely that, for the purposes of this movie, "Ant-Man and the Wasp" were never a thing in the Marvel Movie Universe. Chances are, Pym is now just the brilliant scientist who invents the shrinking technology and did not have any sort of prior career as a superhero or Avenger.

And if Rashida Jones is indeed playing the Wasp, she's probably going to be Paul Rudd's love interest, not Michael Douglas's. Never mind who she was married to in the comics.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

^I'd say you're right Greg

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It occurs a lot in Bryne's work - off the top of my head, there is that creepy scene in Generations 3 where a well past 60 Superman gives Lana a tongue sandwich, Superman grand-daughter has a similar thing going on and also in his Doom Patrol series he gives Robot-man and em... Elasti-Girl a similar scene when Cliff travels in time.

7. Guy Gardener

So you don't think Michael Douglas can pull a 20 year old?

But of course Greg is right because what he said is obvious, the carry on above is about the comics.

Wasp is dating Havok in the comics at the moment.

Havok is played by Lucas Till in X-Men First Class and the the next one too, where in the early 1960s he appeared to be 21 (The snap shot provided could have passed for 15, but that's how old the actor was in 2011.).

So since X-Men First Class was set in 1962, that will make Havok 74 years young in 2014 and still older than Michael Douglas, or Hank Pym who she is supposed to be nestling into every night.

I'm guessing that Jan has daddy issues.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

Greg's idea would seem to neatly rub out any possibility of Hank slapping Janet, which is a hot potato that I've been wondering just how they were going to deal with. Obviously, they'd likely not have that happen, but Greg's idea would seem to eliminate even the opportunity for it, and shut down the entire discussion.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sometimes wonder, if they could do it again without some DC comics style reboot, if Marvel would just never had done any Hank/Jan spouse abuse plot. It honestly always seemed like a stupid thing to me. Then again, the Ultimate Universe (I'm pretty sure it was in Miller's Ultimates, all though a don't remember which specific mini) basically took Hank and Jan and turned his domestic abuse up to 11. He beat her, broke her jaw once I think, and tried to have ants kill her when she was in small form (if I remember correctly), all before Loeb killed Wasp off in Ultimatum by having The Blob eat her head (well, Blob could have been eating her already dead body, but either way it was bad). I guess some people at Marvel, regardless of era, just hate Wasp, Pym, and their relationship.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

She could be dating Pym and leave him for Lang at the end of the movie.

Does Scott Lang have a love interest in the comics?

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

If she's supposed to end up with this movie's featured Ant-Man (Lang), why bother pairing her with Pym at all? Just to keep the continuity mavens happy?

That's not a good enough reason.

Simpler just to make her Pym's lab assistant or niece or something . . . and not give them any sort of romantic connection or history.

12. Alidar Jarok

It depends on the plot and Pym's role. Given that it's Michael Douglas, his role obviously isn't small. Sure, they could do what you're proposing, but there's no reason to necessarily do that.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Byrne also had Mac and Heather Hudson hook up when she was jail-bait. I remember a line where Mac says something along the lines of, "It's illegal for me to have you in my apartment with the door closed." :lol:

14. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Who had Hal Jordan and Arisia hook up?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Guy Gardener

It's unusual how caught up in Heather I got throughout most of the 90s.

I think I liked her more as the secretary over her head in all this super hero crap after her husband died.

It was horrible every time they tried to bring back Mac and deflate her awesomeness.

Although, some writer at some point claimed that Heather was taken into the woods to feed to Wolverine, rather than to subdue him by some miracle that despite being in a animalistic berserker rage he would fall in love with at first sight...

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Well, Heather grew up in Calgary, Alberta, and Mac in London, Ontario. Heather might have viewed that age issue as being ridiculous. Also, I think Byrne specified Heather's age back when they were both working for Am-Can Petroleum. Close enough to legal that they waited until after the business with Ottawa to get Mac's helmet tech declared intellectual property of the Crown to marry, wasn't it?

18. Guy Gardener

She was working for him so I never assumed (I was 11 when I read these first) she was a child, although it was clear that he was older to be her boss and have an engineering degree... PHD?

Mac had power over her impressionability, he was her boss, and he was smart. Smart is sexy, and he had money, that's security. Total package.

Puck, who was immortal, and had stopped ageing, had 40 or 50 years on mac, and he was procrastinating about unloading his feelings on Heather for years, they ended up dating briefly, right?

So Northstar was actively having sex with men, IN SECRET, during the whole of Byrne's men.

He adopted Purple girl... Would that adoption have failed if he was an openly gay man in the 90s?

Hmmm?

The end around for t his new movie continuity is that Janet Van Dyne is Henry Pym's granddaughter, which conflates Pym with her own doomed father from the comics who was once the money behind Pym's science.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I think Pym is the bad guy.

20. Alidar Jarok

I'm wondering that. If not the bad guy than a flawed person who acts as the antagonist. I'm hoping he isn't completely bad because I wouldn't mind a one shot prequel or flash back in another show with him working with SHIELD.

Does Ant-Man have any good villains?