Angel's standout episodes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Aug 9, 2008.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I think that Angel had plenty of standout epsiodes. Easily just as many as Buffy. They perhaps just don't get as much attention because they're not as gimmicky.

Season 1: Hero, I've Got You Under My Skin, Five By Five, To Shanshu in L.A.
    Season 2: Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?, Guise Will Be Guise, Darla, The Trial, Reunion, Redefinition, Reprise, Epiphany
    Season 3: Billy, Lullaby, Birthday, Waiting In The Wings, Sleep Tight
    Season 4: Spin The Bottle, Apocalypse Nowish, Orpheus, Home
    Season 5: Life Of The Party, Lineage, Destiny, You're Welcome, Smile Time, A Hole In The World, Not Fade Away

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Label, your favourite Angel episodes are pretty much the same as mine. I agree that Angel had just as many standout brilliant episodes as its parent series; but as the show was more arc-based, they all tend to blend together more.

Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been was a phenomenal episode which I rewatched recently. The Trial in season two I enjoyed a lot too. Anything with Faith is a standout.

And, contrary to some around here, I loved Angel season 5. Interesting, because the fifth year of Buffy and Angel is probably one of my favourite seasons of both shows (but Buffy season 3 just beats its fifth season. Just)

3. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

I think Angel had more mediocre and bad episodes than Buffy did. Most of season 1 of Angel was just CSI with paranormal thrown in. Don't get me wrong, I love Angel but the only bad eps of Buffy I can think of are "Beer Bad" , "Where the wild things are", "Bad eggs" and "I robot you jane"

4. I am not Spock

Agreed. Angel season 1 wasn't too great, it was just like a police procedural which happened to have vampires in it. It did start improving towards the end of its first year, though, with the Faith two-parter and the season finale, etc. At the time Angel season one originally aired, the consensus among the group I hung out with seemed to be 'Angel sucks'. They did bite their tongues when it started getting much better in later years.

Beer Bad is the Episode Of Which We Do Not Speak. Terrible. I think it and 'Where The Wild Things Are' were by the same writer, IIRC. The name escapes me. I think she didn't write any more episodes after that terrible pair, and I can see why!

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Tracey Forbes, but she also wrote 'Something Blue' in Season 4 which a great one, so she's not all bad
    Giles- "Stop that, I can hear the smacking!"

A lot of the first season of Angel was trying to find its feet, indeed Whedon said it really happened when they did Eternity (with the actress wanting to be immortal), and which of course is followed by the uber-awesome Five By Five, which Whedon recently cited at Comic-con as having one of his favourite moments in the whole Buffyverse with Faith and Angel's alley way fight in the rain "I'M EVIL!!!"

6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will always remember the trilogy of "Apocalypse Nowish," "Habeas Corpses" and "Long Day's Journey," because the Angel Investigations gang got beat down and had their collective assi well and truly handed to them for three episodes in a row. That cemented that they were in deep doo-doo for me - for them (the team, not the show) to have such a consistent losing streak was a remarkable thing, I thought.

Plus of course the awesome fight scene in "Apocalypse Nowish," which for me remains the best fight scene in the entire Buffy-verse. I sometimes pop the disc in just to watch that.

7. Ethros

^ Me too, so awesome
    Angel- "Might wanna hold the gloat Chuckles, we're just getting started"

Ok so he's gets thrown off the roof later, but Angel is SO badass in that moment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWLsCoNEc4

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah. I love that fight scene. Even if our heroes got their asses handed to them completely, it was still amazing to watch.

9. Ethros

Flet like changing my av, and thanks to this thread I thought I'd make it an Angel one. As you can see a nice and cheerful Angel one :lol:
    50 house points if you know what episode its from!

10. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt. It's easily that.

I'd say it ranks right up there with fight scenes from major movies that don't have the word "Martix" in the title. ;)

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Thats a trick question, every episode of course! nah kidding I don't actually know. :)

12. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like 'I'm struggling to accept the loss of my son' Angel. I'll guess "Double or Nothing".

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

13. Ethros

^ Alas no. He's majorly pissed off with some folk who've been screwing him over

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Oh, it's probably "I'm about to let Dru and Darla kill you all" Angel from "Reunion".

15. Ethros

16. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

"Spank us till tuesday! Rawr."

Best Drusilla line ever!

17. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're Welcome, Not Fade Away, To Shanshu in L.A., most, if not all of season 1 and 5 basically. All the Connor episodes mostly sucked though-his fault.

18. I am not Spock

Thank you, Ethros! Yeah, 'Something Blue' was a good episode, so I'll let her off the hook for that one. One out of three ain't bad!

19. I am not Spock

Agreed 100%

Those episodes were so awesome. Season 4 is when the proverbial really hit the fan for Team Angel.

And Apocalypse Nowish indeed had the best fight scene in the entire Buffyverse.

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

It seemed like a pretty good show, though I haven't seen many episodes. Of the ones I have, I thought the one where he turns into a muppet was kinda cute and clever.