Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Dear Boy part two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lo-res and hi-res screencap albums for Dear Boy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

actually, along with libraries and the subway, movie theaters are a common spot for the homeless to get some sleep:
    Shelby thinks that all-night theaters are the most overrated sleeping places for men like himself. He has used them, and still does occasionally, but compared to the subway, they are inordinately expensive and their seats, though much softer, are much less suited to sleeping. They tip back too much, and the head is apt to snap backwards instead of forward. This always awakens Shelby. Furthermore, one cannot very well lean one’s head on one’s arm when elbow resting room has to be fought for with one’s neighbor. The pictures are noisy in unexpected places, and the sounds that are thrown out from the screen are loud and unorthodox. On top of this, Shelby has found that no matter what picture is being shown, he cannot keep from watching it to see how it comes out. Thus, instead of getting some sleep, he gets entertained.
    the whole article is really amazing.

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I agree with Buffy on the top of the list. I'm a big Joss fan too, and it is the most impactful and long-lived, pop culture wise, of his shows. It has contributed some of the best episodes of TV history, in my opinion. 'Restless', 'Hush', The Gift', 'The Body', these are truly superb hours of TV by any standard.

Angel is a close second. I just love the Buffyverse, full stop. Angel is a darker series, and twists the Buffyverse mythos on its head. In some ways, its like the DS9 to Buffy's TOS (I see more in common between Buffy and TOS than Buffy and TNG. Buffy is about a mix between strong characters, action adventure, drama, and the occassional deep, thought provoking ep, just like TOS). Angel is also a great series, but in a different way to BTVS. It perhaps doesn't have as many 'stunning' episodes, but its still awesome.

I think you're maybe a little uncharitable towards Firefly, Saturn. It was also a very well-made series (what little we saw of it), and had the potential to become another Joss classic. I don't think its fair to compare it to AtS or BtvS, because it simply didn't have enough time to grow. If Season one of Buffy was all we got, it would have ranked very differently in my list.

I haven't seen the webseries Dr Horrible yet, and I haven't seen enough of Dollhouse to properly judge it.

4. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting comparison between the TNG and DS9 but I think Buffy did have depth, Angel certainly was darker. If anything I'd say Buffy was DS9 to Angel's Babylon 5

Currently doing a Firefly rewatch and I'll start posting it this week.

Thanks for the screencaps Scrawny, especially CC in her 'pet-me-I'm-a-whore outfit.:)

The Trial

The Good;
    Love the valet and the trials, they're both excellent, the suprise ending is a killer, thankfully they left Juliet Landau's name out of the credits this time so it's a genuine shock.
    The Bad;
    Very little, terrific ep but Angel seems to be overwhelmed by the WR&H thugs very easily
    Best line:
    Lindsey; "How did you think this was going to end?"
    Jeez, how did they get away with that?
    The trials are almost akin to gorno, especially the key in the vat of Holy Water.
    Apocalypses: 4
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; oh yeah!
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
    In disguise; 7
    DB get's his shirt off; oh yeah!
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage: Angel chained up by the valet
    Cordy: 5
    Angel: 9
    Wes: 3

Fang gang knocked out:
    Cordy: 10
    Angel: 12
    Wes: 5
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Kills:
    Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
    Angel; 1 vamp and 1 demon, 18 vamps, 19 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 1 demon.
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Cordy: 2
    Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Angel: 6

Characters killed:
    Recurring characters killed; Darla dies for the 3rd time
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations:
    4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot;
    Angel: 10
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
    Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
    Angel: 1;Buffy
    Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
    Darla has once more turned to prostitution to support herself.
    Captain Subtext;
    The eps so full he really doesn't have time to appear. Although Darla/Dru I suppose at the end.
    Know the face, different character; 2
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Buffy characters on Angel; 13
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master
    Questions and observations;
    Oddly Holland believes in god whilst Darla wears a cross whilst tricking (she takes it off when she goes to find a vamp to sire her). Angelus comments that in Romania they know how to treat a creature of the night (Dracula?). Holtz mentioned for the first time. The dumb vamp Darla propositions says he was sired in 1992, by Lothos and co in the Buffy movie? Anne Rice mocked again. Why doesn't Angel sire Darla and then resoul her? He wonders what would happen if he sired someone when he had a soul, in 'Why we fight?' we find out. Jasmine referenced once more. Does JB really sing or is she voiced over? The valet is great, you really could see him as Jeeves, his little 'Use it wisely' speech at the end is reminiscent of Highlander. The actor recurs in a Dollhouse ep where he plays Beyonce's manager.
    One thing, Angel is owed a life restored by magical means. So why does he never call in that marker and try to bring back Doyle, Cordy, Fred etc?
    Marks out of 10; 9/10, Angel at the top of it's game.

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Oh, no, no. I agree. Buffy had a lot of depth. It was one of those rare pop culture entities that was both entertaining to the masses, and also very philosophically deep. I just meant that I think it probably had a bit more in common with the TOS ethos, than with TNGs more overt moralising.

Both Buffy, and its sister, Angel, are some of my fave shows ever.

And The Trial is indeed a great, great episode. 9 out of 10 for me as well. After all that, just look at the pain on Angel's face when Darla is ripped away from him...again! Tragic ending and so unexpected!

6. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Great comparison; while I watching the episode, I kept thinking that it is so much like B5's Comes the Inquisitor, and the valet is so much like Jack the Ripper.

7. Skellington

My pleasure. :)

8. saturn5

The Buffyverse seems to be one of the few genre shows which doesn't tackle Jack the Ripper although some have speculated it's Spike/Angelus

REUNION
    The Good;
    Darla and Dru make quite a pair whilst Angel does his Batman routine. Some nice humour from Lilah and like the way Angel is so consumed by his quest that he tries to ignore his mission sent by the PTBs. And the shock ending is a kick in head.
    The Bad;
    Why does Lilah want to hear police sirens, what are the LAPD going to do against Dru and Darla? Shouldn't Angel have saved Holland's wife at least?
    Best line:
    Lilah (to Lindsey, indicating dead Darla) "Think you got a shot with her now?" Why we love Lilah even though she's a total bitch.
    The scene in the shop with the murdered staff is horrifying
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 17
    Lindsey (indicating the soon to be vamp Darla) "Can she hear us?"
    Darla "She's DEAD!"
    In disguise; 7
    DB get's his shirt off; 11
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage: Angel in cuffs
    Angel: 9

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Kills:
    Angel; 18 vamps, 19 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 1 demon.
    Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed: 16 including the shopgirls and the motorist
    Recurring characters killed;
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations:

Angel Investigations shot: no but Angel takes a gun away from a demon acolyte intent on suicide.
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Gunn comments that he's freaked out by the whole incest vibe of the grandaughter remaking the grandmother (as he was with his vamped sister). Dru wants Angel to 'Spank us til Tuesday, we promise to be bad if you do'!!!!!!
    Captain Subtext;
    Loved to have seen the Dru/neighbour scene. Once again Dru seems a very unusual vamp in some regards, more human than most. Dru appreciates Lilah's beauty. All of the Darla/Dru stuff
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master
    Like the way it's Gunn who figures out the whole nursery angle, once again showing his brains. Weird seeing Darla in her shroud. Kate and Angel seem a team once more.
    Marks out of 10; 8/10, Angel on top form.

9. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

didn't Dru drink her before Angel shows up?

you know, the first time through, i never noticed all the times that Gunn came up with the solution - i always thought turning him into a lawyer in S5 was kind of out-of-the-blue. does that make me racist?

and is even better a second time through if, like me, you think Angel Investigations is best when Wes runs the shop!

10. saturn5

Surely it's Holland's wounded wife who invites Angel across the threshold? I note none of Holland's maids get killed so presumably Angel get's them out?
    As for Gunn they do play him as 'the muscle' and that's sometimes a toughguy image he plays up to. But throughout you can see the glimpses of potential that come to the fore
    which are finally realised in season 5. I'd love to have seen more of AI between seasons 3-4 with Gunn the leader and he and Fred acting as Connor's foster parents.
    He's also the team straight man, constantly horrified by other peoples idiocy and pretentiousness

"What? Walking real fast was the plan!"

"Hey I was cool before I met y'all!"

Wes; "Why do people keep putting me charge of things?"
    Gunn; "I have NO idea!"

REDEFINITION

The Good;
    Angel goes Punisher, as extra-crispy Darla says "Who the hell was THAT?". Plus "We are the champions..."
    The Bad;
    Darla and Dru seem to spend an awful lot of time on fire, other vamps vaporise much quicker.
    Best line:
    Dru "Galloping, galloping still he'll come!"
    The ears gag, funny but hooooo....!
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 17
    In disguise; 7
    DB get's his shirt off; not topless but some vest action
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Angel: 8

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Kills: 4 vamps and 12 demons for Angel really racking them up. I demon for Gunn
    Angel; 22 vamps, 31 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans,
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 2 demons.
    Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 1 or 3 depending on which way you look at it?

Angel Investigations shot:
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Gunn says Angel is 'going Commando', does he mean the action film or without underwear? Dru and Darla are looking for 'muscular slaves'. I know a few people who'd gladly volunteer. Once again Dru wants Angel to punish them for being naughty, she likes the idea of flogging but not of churches.
    Captain Subtext;
    Is the attraction between Lindsey and Darla real? Dru seems to like Lilah. Wes denies that his arse is 'pansy'.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Poor old Merl get waterboarded
    Virginia's back, hooray! Wes intends to sing Cat Stevens, I'm guessing 'Morning has Broken' rather than 'Father and Son' or 'The First Cut is the Deepest'. In the end they pick Queen, good choice. Darla wonders why people always assume a man has to be involved in a woman's business? Angel smokes again.
    Marks out of 10; 8/10

11. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

I'm going to admit that I've found myself up ahead of these reviews. Just saw Disharmony and Gunn has a great line: Aren't we staking them anymore!

another thing i didn't notice the first time through: just how rarely Lorne is of any help at all. here our Heroes belt their hearts out, and he just lets TPtB do the talking.

i would have gone with 7, but the copious drinking and smoking might make it slightly higher. 8 is a bit much though.

12. Skellington

They are the champions!:)

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, as he says, he knew the PTBs were about to send Cordy a vision, and that answered the question the gang was there to ask - what to do with their lives now. He didn't need to say anything because he knew the answer was about to be made very clear: keep on saving people.

14. saturn5

Also like Gunn's little flirting with Harmony when he meets her but we'll save that until we get to that ep

BLOOD MONEY

The Good;
    Anne's back, wonderful the way minor characters from old eps can now assume major roles in the Buffyverse. A nice pastiche of the cynicism of major corporations.
    The Bad;
    Couldn't they have got some real TV stars to do that benefit?
    Best line:
    Lindsey "Boo hoo Lilah, let me wipe away the tears with my plastic hand!"
    Anne refer to a 14 year old prositute lying in her own blood after a rough trick, uuggghhhh! (real life always more horrific than supernatural evil)
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 17
    In disguise; 7
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel; he owes Merle money
    Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Kills: Half a demon for Wes and Gunn
    Angel; 22 vamps, 31 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1 demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 2 and half demons.
    Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
    Recurring characters killed; Holland the scumbag appears again, I bet he's looking up rather than down and could use some ice about now
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 3 or 1?

Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Kennell's school for girls, why is it that the buildings supernatural evil always seems to be drawn to are filled with teenage schoolgirls? (The Craft, Suspira, Carrie and countless trashier efforts, Satan's School for Girls, 5 Girls anyone?) Or did I just answer my own question? It's implied that Angel enjoys dressing up in Cordy's clothes. Angel says he is hitching a ride in Lilah's back seat, probably literally but the way he says it hints at innuendo.
    Captain Subtext;
    The 'Life Lessons' actress is asked why they made her character gay, an obvious nod to Willow on Buffy
    Know the face, different character; Anne/Lily/Chantrelle but still the same girl
    Parking garages; yep, Angel attacks Lilah in hers
    Guantanamo Bay;
    More Merle bashing, you genuinely start to feel sorry for him.
    Buffy characters on Angel; 14
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne
    Angel criticises Merle's beanbags, surely he had some during the Manilow years. We're told that Angel was in Mexico in the 20s and fought Boon over a girl, love to see that in the comics some time. Love his built-in knuckledusters. So why doesn't Anne recognise Angel when she was introduced to him in the Buffy ep Lie to Me? Interesting to see Wes as Bond, he would have been great in the Roger Moore style. Presumably Angel beats Boon for the money.
    Marks out of 10; 6/10 standalone ep, some nice stuff with Anne and Boon and some nice humour with Lindsey and Lilah.

15. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

16. DS9Continuing

The writers said in an interview that they were aware of the point, considered putting it in the script, but decided that is was too much continuity and that the viewers would get it if they got it, and not miss it if they didn't.

Considering that this question is asked EVERY SINGLE TIME this episode is ever mentioned, they may have miscalculated on that point.

I've a feeling that whole bit was ad-libbed, and the editors just decided to leave it in for a laugh.

17. saturn5

I think it wouldn't be such a big deal if Anya hadn't also met Angel in The Prom and Dopplegangland and still didn't seem to remember him in Pangs. It's like Angel has the Ben-is-Glory spell or something.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

The Good;
    Lorne really comes into his own, we see him set up to become a regular character . Love Angel Investigation's Agatha Christie moment.
    The Bad;
    Why does the scientist act suprised at Lorne's appearance when he's been to Caritas? His plan is pretty stupid, surely after a while someone will notice and pull the plug? And won't the time freeze affect the demons too? And won't the time freeze stop the electricity thus disrupting the process?
    Best line:
    Gunn; "Truth is there's always more down"
    Apocalypses: oh yeah
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 17
    In disguise; yep, posing as a grant fund agent
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out: Lorne, all the makings of an Angel investigations regular right there
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 1
    Kills: a demon for Gunn and 2 for Angel
    Angel; 22 vamps, 33 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1 demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 2 demons.
    Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 3 or 1

Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    The sympathy bone! Does anyone actually ever do that for real? The most slow motion sex in history. How exactly do they know that Kevin is impotent?
    Captain Subtext;
    Lorne acts in a stereotypically gay fashion but he describes Cordy as hot-o-rama suggesting he's actually Bi? The bartender remarks that they don't get many of Lorne's kind in his bar, we think for a moment he means gay but he actually means demon.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne
    For some reason the demons seem to dress like Abraham Lincoln (or the Amish)? The weapons they use are similar to the hunga-munga used by Buffy in Anne (Barney in HIMYM seems to have one in his apartment). What do they do with Aunt Helen, turn her over to the police to charge her with murder by demon? A lovely metaphor from Lorne on holding the note. The beginning of Angel's eventual coming back to the good fight. Make Hegarty who plays the Bartender is one of those faces you see all over US TV. Cordy dances, she's quite a groover just as she was in Buffy. Wes dances too and is much better now than he was in 'She'.
    Marks out of 10; 7 out of 10, funny enough but not really a classic and suffers in comparison to what's gone before and what's to come.

18. DS9Continuing

He does that a few times later on too, for example in "Waiting in the Wings." But I think he only does it to push Angel into his realization of his feelings for her. This is the same conversation where he drops hints about a big future for Wesley too (presumably referring to his actions in "Loyalty"/"Sleep Tight"), so it's clear that Lorne has his eye on the future already.

So yes, I believe Lorne is gay - a metaphor used effectively in the Pylea arc at the end of the season too.

19. saturn5

THIN DEAD LINE

The Good;
    Excellent ep, lovely to see Anne again, good story, especially like the Jackson/Gunn confrontation. Also a nice little role for the desk sergeant.
    The Bad;
    Could this really all happen without anyone knowing about it? Or should I ask without anyone caring? Doesn't anyone hear the gunshots in the police station?
    Best line:
    Angel; "I just killed a cop"
    Kate; (looking around the police station) "I wouldn't say that in here no matter how immortal you think you are"
    Once again man's (or should that be zombie's?) inhumanity to man always more disturbing than the supernatural.
    Apocalypses: 5
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 17
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tattoo; oh yeah, we see it at the siege at the refuge
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out:Wes passes out after being shot
    Wes: 6
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Kills:
    Angel; 22 vamps, 31 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans and 1 zombie
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1 demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 5 vamps+ 2 demons.
    Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
    4;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 3/1?

Angel Investigations shot: yes, Wes by the zombie cop
    Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    No time for that
    Captain Subtext;
    Or that!
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Merle moves and I don't blame him. The whole thing is one big discussion of The End Justifies the Means, the police Captain uses vigilante methods to eradicate the crime in his area but at what cost? Angel is happy to give the area back to the Jackson's of the world because that's human trouble rather than supernatural.
    Nice mislead, you think Anne is going to Angel but instead she goes to Gunn. Gunn himself starts to feel removed from his old gang. Angel and Kate seem to have restored their working relationship after the Shroud of Rashamon. Love the Cordy's clothes gag. The whole ep is reminiscent of the old Maniac Cop horror film series (which also featured a vigilante zombie cop ressurected through voodo) with hints of Night of the Living Dead, Magnum Force and Assault on Precinct 13 (the original, forget the remake even if it has Gay Byrne)
    Marks out of 10; 7/10, enjoyable but a step outside the arc.

20. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

agreed.

Wes really shines in this ep. I especially like his (and Cordy's) comment that Gunn's plan is just really stupid :guffaw: