AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Sigh. The first issue of the comic was written before 28 Days Later was released into cinemas. It took inspiration from the opening of Day Of The Triffids.

2. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well this would explain it all, then. :)

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, you loved X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but hated the pilot for this show??!?!!? (I know 2 totally different things) I am seriously judging you right now. :confused:

All kidding aside, just keep watching, it's actually really good. Best new show of the Fall season.

5. Xavier_Storma

No, no, no! I did not hate it... it simply felt familiar... Nothing wrong about it though. And scnj already mentioned the comics were there first... so it was actually '28 days' which borrowed elements from TWD.

And loved is a little strong. I enjoyed it, yes even liked it... but there are only few movies I would say I love. :)

6. PsychoPere

I think it was likely more one of those serendipitous moments where two products in parallel development shared similarities. The first issue of The Walking Dead was on retail shelves in October 2003, while the U.S. release of 28 Days Later was in November 2003. It certainly wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that such a situation would arise.

7. Xavier_Storma

That's really interesting, since both teams followed the same path: Create a character the audience/reader can relate to, who himself has to be introduced to the situation... well, it worked in both cases.

8. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Please keep asking these kinds of questions. I'm presently writing a short book on "Undead" Physiology and I'm don't want to leave out anything that someone might be wondering about. I've developed a brand new and somewhat plausible Real World explanation for the origins of zombies which I want to share (and, NO, it does NOT involve any virus). So make a list and ask away. PM me with it if you want. I'd hate to miss answering something someone is wondering about.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, congratulations are in order. Let's give him a hand.

Actually, why would they suspect him specifically? It's not like he'd know where they left the truck, and we know there are other people around.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well he is kinda the obvious choice. I mean, it would be an awful waste of a plot thread if he'd just taken the truck and decided to drive to Key West. :)

I'm guessing where they parked is the main safe route in and out of the city that they used when they first arrived. It did look pretty much zombie free.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Nitpicks:

- One thing that bothered me was it looked like Rick and the guys jogged back to camp after the truck was gone?? Why? they have hundreds of cars around them that may have the keys or they can hotwire like the mustang. It makes absolutly no sense they they would be forced to walk/run back. Also why do they assume Merle took the truck? Could be anyone, they are parked quite a bit off from the building Merle was In. Merle could have easily taken one of the hundreds of cars lying around also.

- No guard on the RV?

- That many Zombies made it to the camp at the same exact time, with out being noticed?

- Rick the others seem to have no problem traverseing the city to get to the gang's place then back to the building, then back to the Gang's place again, then back to where the truck was suppose to be. Too convient it seems. (not to mention the walk/jog back to camp on foot)

12. Nicholna

Nicholna Cadet Newbie

:techman:THANK YOU:techman: Can you repost the link to the comic. I can't seem to find it.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, arguably, both independently borrowed from the original Day of the Triffids. (In fact, Boyle has acknowledged Triffids as an influence).

14. PsychoPere

Are you referring to the free online copy of issue #1? If so, you can read it here.

I've never seen it myself, but I believe Kirkman has acknowledged it as an influence as well. I was more referring to the fact that two stories using that same idea came out so close together.

15. Nicholna

Nicholna Cadet Newbie

never mind...i found it!! :) :bolian::bolian:

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wondered that, too.

Zombie fiction has been around for longer than most people in this thread have been alive. You'd have to be a zombie scholar to know for sure where various tropes had first been introduced. Like most of sci fi (HAH! :p), people routinely underestimate how old the tropes really are.
    That's an original scenario? A lot of fiction, sci fi or otherwise, follows that template. It would be easier to point to stories that lack a character the audience can relate to. I can't think of a single one, offhand. Having a relatable point of view character is usually considered vital to a story that will succeed or fail depending on its ability to hold an audience's attention. The audience enters the story, and sticks with it, through the eyes of the POV character. I guess there are other ways to accomplish this, but it would be more difficult.

As for having the character be introduced to the situation, there are only two types of stories: "Someone goes on a journey" and "A stranger comes to town." TWD is an example of the former type, which requires the point of view character be introduced to the new situation. Assuming both story types are roughly equally popular, that template describes half of all stories in existence, or if not half, certainly a large proportion.

There's nothing at all unusual about the format. The other way to handle this is that the audience jumps into the story after the character has been embroiled in the situation for a while and then we learn about the situation in flashback.

Edit: fun article from EW interviewing actors playing zombies!
    :rommie:

Apparently the secret of zombie-hood is individuality. I would not have guessed that.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This is exactly why the Sci Fi Channel rebranded to SyFy: "Science Fiction, Horror, Paranormal, Wrestling-- like, whatever, dude." :rommie:

18. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps it was stocked before the zombocalypse. -shrug-

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It could be an indication that these people just aren't very knowledgeable about surviving in nature...

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it was because they couldn't trademark a generic term like Sci Fi. Do you honestly think skiffy cares about safeguarding the precise definition of sci fi? :rommie: They had all that non-sci-fi crap long before they changed their name.

Where did all the fish come from, then?