AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

after reading the comics, this is just the tip of the iceberg, these people are about to go through some seriously messed up crap..

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was some bad directing with the people just staying put and letting the zombies eat them.

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

As sick as I am of zombie things I have to say I really enjoyed the hell out of the first four episodes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the people involved, but I really was prepared to be ambivalent to yet another zombie story.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well thats certainly upped the ante. Its not a fun 'lets run arould killing zombies!' show anymore. I guess at this point the best bet is to go back into the city and join up with the survivors at the hospital. (I'm probably wrong, but I refuse to read the comic. I don't want to get into a cycle if "Hey, thats not how they did it in the comic/tv show!").

The writers probably tacked on a second or two for dramatic effect, but it real life, people would freeze up for a couple of seconds. Especially if they had their guard down like everyone did in this case.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

As MillenniumLance said, Amy died in issue #5 during a zombie attack on the camp, just like in this episode. Issue #6 was the end of the first arc, so it's reasonably close in proximity to where the characters' journey in the show probably is at this point.

Rick and Glenn went into Atlanta in issue #4 in order to locate a gun store. It was for that situation Rick came up with the zombie disguise idea.

That's unfortunate, because you're depriving yourself of some excellent writing and great artwork. For my part, I'm not bothered at all when the show diverges from the comic. In fact, I'm enjoying seeing the way the show is using the comic as a roadmap and taking detours to add interesting material to flesh out the story even more. The situation with the Vatos gang, for example, was entirely for the show, yet it fits perfectly. So far, everyone involved has hit that perfect line of having the same "spirit" as the comic yet being a sensible, rather than slavish, adaptation.

6. Cutter John

I'm sure its a great series, I just really want to avoid spoilers. i.e. who dies, etc.

Maybe after the show has run its course I'll go check them out.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. PsychoPere

^ Yeah, good point. That's something I can certainly understand. I just can't help pushing the comics because I love 'em so much.

8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit.. I'm just going to have to break down and go get 'em.. I was going to use my cell phone rebate for some Christmas presents, but... :)

That was a fantastic episode last night.. I'm bummed that the season's almost over. :(

9. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that ending got me totally off guard, I know its supposed to be only 6 eps but I didnt expect them to be attacked so soon. Poor Amy. :(

about the elderly, would an old person zombie be as dangerous as a younger person? We've seen a couple zombies dragging themselves around on the ground & I wondered if that was b/c they were orignally disabled people using wheel chairs.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Loving this show so far. With this and Breaking Bad AMC have two of my favorite shows currently on the air. :techman:

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I knew that open encampment was a bad idea. :(

This was a great episode, but what an ending. Ack. And I'm wondering if the grave digging guy really had a premonition, and if this will become part of the scenario.

I love how the scary street gang turned out to be a bunch of people protecting old timers in a hospital. Our people should really think about joining them; either that or heading away from cities altogether.

And I don't know if this is insufferable or humorous, but there was a funny exchange of dialogue that relates to our previous side discussion:

"You sure got balls for a Chinaman."

"I'm Korean."

"Whatever."

:rommie:

Good question. Also, do Zombies rot? They said it was a hundred degrees that day, and the Zombies have been around for a while. How come they're not putrefying?

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, I haven't read the comics, but I understand that winter does affect these Zombies. It certainly affects them in WWZ.

Anyway, in the first episode Rick finds half a zombie or what's left of one still crawling around. Who know how it got that way, but it was pretty rotten - and it had been roughly a month since Rick had been in a coma, right? That particular zombie's rate of decomposition suggests they do in fact rot away slowly. But do these zombies actually get anything out of eating people? From what do they metabolize energy? The demi-zombie probably doesn't ahve a stomach or intestines to speak of, but it was obviously still active.

Obviously the mechanics of rotting undead flesh is hardly an exact science, and I'm more than willing to gloss over it for the sake of how good this drama is. Like certain shows about wizards or vampires, we're generally expected to just accept it as reality. But like certain shows, it's easy to pick away at the details of the situation.

Mark

13. Cutter John

And my favorite bit:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/276900/evil2.jpg

They should've been fine since they'd strung empty cans on strings all around the encampment. I'm thinking something, or someone with a grudge disarmed the alarm.

14. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I never heard of the comic until this show came on now I am going to buy it. Love this series!!! Last night was a shocker. I wonder what happened to the racist guy who cut off his hand? I figured he was going to show up and cause trouble.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That was a great episode, best since the pilot without a doubt.

16. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never mind the cans why couldn't they leave someone to keep an eye out while everyone else was having a good old time during the campout!?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  17. PsychoPere

Someone should certainly have still been standing guard - or they should have at least had weapons closer to hand - but there's only so far they could've seen during night anyways. A lookout on the RV, as they do during the day, probably wouldn't have helped much.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Also, that many Zombies should have made enough noise for them to hear. It's very quiet in the woods at night. But I suppose we can write that off to artistic license.

Maybe they rot more slowly than a normal corpse; or they don't rot but they take wear and tear. It would be nice to hear it addressed in dialogue, though.

I suppose we can guess who that was. Gotta hand it to him.

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

What makes you think he didn't? He did, apparently, steal a truck for some mysterious reason (as opposed to any other number of vehicles he could have found).

20. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know it is a little too early to judge, I saw the first episode last night and it simply felt like a 28 days later ripoff. An americanised version of the British production (IMHO the best Zombie film to date). The story was pretty much copy and paste up to the point where in 28 days later the survivors meet the military people.
    I know... making films (or in that matter shows) about zombies means to rely to certain aspects (running, screaming, tension etc.) but that was a little too obvious for my taste. Anyway... I will watch episode 2 tonight and hope they don't just continue copy pasting.