AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Science Fiction is when a story explores the effects of science or extrapolated science (or applied science, i.e. technology) on people or society. Informally, "sci fi" can refer to anything with the trappings of Science Fiction, such Space Opera or Steampunk.

I guess I am missing the point. Are you saying you watch Walking Dead because there's nothing else on that you like? Or that TV is so bad that it makes you lose your grasp of English? I don't see how using accurate terminology is quibbling-- if you like something, why be afraid to call it what it is?

No, I'm not telepathic and it's not baloney. I just have a basic grasp of how people think. We're not talking about rocket science here-- or even rocket science fiction.

Hardly, unless you think that voting is involved somehow. If most people think that Humans and Dinosaurs co-existed (probably because they've seen that old "Science Fiction" show The Flintstones ;)), they're still wrong.

TV Guide is hilarious. They did a special magazine about Star Trek a few years ago, and their descriptions in the episode guide cracked me up. Their view of "Requiem For Methuselah" was something along the lines of, "The costumes were nice, but they should have ditched the sub-plot about the android." :rommie:

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That reminds me of the description that a local paper ran in their programming guide (back when they had those). "The crew encounters an exact duplicate of the Enterprise floating in space." The episode? "The Tholian Web".

I mean, yeah, technically the description is correct, but it totally misses what the episode is about.

3. RJDiogenes

Yeah, exactly. If that was the sub-plot, I can't imagine what they thought the main plot was. :rommie:

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

A co-worker's been encouraging me to watch this; I just found out today from him that Bear McCreary does the music, so my interest has pretty much tripled. I was going to check out the thread to see what people have been saying, but having skipped to the last page, I have to ask: is this another thread that's been hijacked by RJ being insufferable again?

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ If it helps in making your decision, the majority consensus has been "very good" to "great" so far, with of course one or two opinions to the contrary.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There is a side conversation about "what is SF" going on, but the posts are easy to recognize and avoid.

7. RJDiogenes

:(

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I love listening to Andrew Lincoln's real accent in the behind the scenes segment on AMC.com. I finally realized where I'd seen him before, in the movie "Love Actually."

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta sudden hankering to do some fishing...

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Why do they expect there to be fish and frogs in a quarry lake?

11. Dorian Thompson

That--was excellent. When they were protecting the older people and they all were so respectful of abuela....I loved it. :) A custodian can be noble. Loved the killer dogs. :guffaw:

But the ending. :(

12. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

The question in my mind right now is whether Merle is somehow responsible for the attack . . .

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I really liked the way things turned out with the "gang" - I wasn't expecting anything along those lines before the old woman showed up in the middle of the stand-off. The attack on the camp was where I was expecting the season to end and I'm glad to have been wrong, because I didn't want to wait for season two to see reactions from the survivors. Even knowing it was coming at some point, that attack was damned brutal. I also liked the symmetry between opening the episode with Andrea and Amy on the lake, and ending the episode with them as well.

"Vatos," by the way, was written by Robert Kirkman himself, the creator of the comics series.

14. Dorian Thompson

What could he have done? Driven the zombies there himself? It would take a little more time than that for them to stagger up the hill if they were following him in the van, wouldn't it? Wouldn't Merle be putting his brother at risk by doing that?

15. sojourner

I don't remember the sister dying that soon in the comics??? Still an excellent episode.

16. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't read the comic in years so I forgot how faithful the show is to the first few issues. I don't remember Rick and company going back to Atlanta. Can anyone with a fresher memory compare notes?

17. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

Amy died in the 5th issue sojourner

18. sojourner

^of the comic or the graphic novels?

19. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too, that was really cool.

Though it occurred to me after watching that the "vatos" must really have their hands full. Trying to maintain a bunch of old and people under those conditions, you're going to have a high death rate. You'd have to patrol the halls and monitor the rooms constantly to keep from getting overrun from within. And you'd have to have some organized method to get rid of the bodies-- I can't see beating in someone's skull and splattering the walls while they're still in their room. Not if you want to keep all the other patients peaceful.

And these are your relatives! How do you deal with that?