Am i alone?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by TheOnes, Mar 21, 2009.

1. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

You gotta have long term faith in a series finale like this. There is a certain shock that occurs after watching it. Kind of that gut reaction of "NO it's over and I am mad as hell about it!" I doubt a lot of the mad people could ever be satisfied by a finale of this show.

It is a dense episode that gives us a ton to think about. I think its real glory will be in its analysis and comparison to the rest of the series.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

On the flipside though people need to allow that one can enjoy it but still voice some complaints. Sometimes I think it's expected that "real" fans must enjoy every single element in its totality.

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved a lot of parts of the episode, I didn't care for it as a solid connected episode. I have no problem with religion (even if I think its hogwash in real life), that aspect is one i have always found enjoyable on the show.

But i hated the pacing and structure of the episode, as it felt like about 6 episodes shoved into two (One of the problems I had with New Caprica). I have found this to be one of the few real problems I have with the storytelling throughout nuBSG.

Still take each individual scene, and I have a lot of love for it.

4. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

5. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kara was Kara, a human female who died, and was then miraculously returned for a time to fulfill her destiny. I guess we might say the Kara after the return was a ghost.

"It" is god, of course. What makes you think you could even understand what that means if someone could explain it to you?

---------------

6. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point here - are people here seriously expecting a TV show to explain the nature of God, or worse still to totally debunk God?

There is a horrific and terrifying tendency amongst scientifically minded people to dismiss all spiritualism, or even the basic human belief in forces and powers in the universe greater than we are because of the bigoted attitude of the ignorant morons who criticise science from organised religious bodies.

Not all humans are capable of logically analysing a situation effectively, if you are that is a gift but it does not mean there is not a greater power out there, and heck, why not call it "God"?

Because some morons see it as an excuse to bash anyone who does not follow rules written by a human in a book 2000 years ago does not mean there is not a guiding power in the universe.

We need our technology, and the amazing human beings that created the Internet, the jet engine and antibiotics are the same race that committed the Holocaust, wiped out the native Americans and flew aircraft into skyscrapers of innocent people on 9/11.

Sadly the fundamental human truth of BSG - that we are all the same on a basic level and we HAVE to rub along, take responsibility, and above all grow up or face destruction - will be drowned out on this board because sci-fi fans often need every t crossed and i dotted.

7. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely agreed :bolian:

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yep. By and large it was loved. People who didn't like it are just louder than those who did. I adored it and nothing is going to change that. Why would it? I cheered, cried and laughed during the finale. Perfect BSG in my book.

9. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

I wanted one last gibbering-wreck episode and it definately delivered. :techman:

I really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No, but I doubt it could please everybody. It was still excellent though. :)

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was near perfect. No finale is ever perfect but this one could have been if Roslin screamed, "I'm coming for all of you!" one last time. Didn't even have to make sense or anything. She could have seen those deer and screamed it out. So long as she did it.

11. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

What I don't get is everybody was fine when John Sheridan went to Z'ha'dum, and died. Many people still enjoy the adventures of Anakin Skywalker, even knowing his ultimate destiny and nobody threw peanuts and crackerjacks when Kevin Costner built it and people actually came. Yet when the Galactica finds Earth, a promised journy it essentially began over thirty years ago, people have a hard time wrapping their minds around it. I guess it just shows how good the program was at making us expect the unexpected; Even when it was expected.

12. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't hate it, but I don't like it. I though it was filled with contrived plot devices that needed to be there to make the whole thing work, and thats much too Voyager-esque for me. I am also baffled at how 40,000 people who have been on the run from killer robots for 5 years after their entire civilization was destroyed, save for themselves, could just decide to give up on that civilization, on all thier history, all their art, all their music, all of their falleen friends... and be swallowed by time. Stupid, I think.

13. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well obviously some of the Colonials history and religion was passed down through time peaking in ancient Greece and Rome.

I thought while hopeful..it did seem lonely. There was part of me that wanted them to arrive on near future Earth and having their space defense grid blow the Cylons out of the sky...but that would have been cheesey and a bit Star Trek-esque.

However I don't think they were swallowed by time but they became in effect the jumping off point for human history.

14. ELURIA

ELURIA Captain Captain

I frakkin' loved every minute of it.

Seriously, from start to finish.

& especially the coda with the Jimi Hendrix music...

:techman:

15. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it, oddly I felt completed in some way after watching it.

RDM was "damned if he did, and damned if he didn't" in this regard. Sure there's stuff that I might have handled differently but that's just me who wasn't in the hot seat for 4yrs producing the show which I think if some of his critics found themselves in the postion would have a very different take on the whole show.

I was pretty sure he said "He" which may or may not complicate the matter more depending upon your conclusions. And you see, I'm enjoying letting my imagination take the ball and speculate from this point on. Did Tyrol (who acted rashly in CIC) become tha archtype for Merlin (How long do True-Earth Cylons live anway? Hmm), did Apollo go off and found a "city" known as Thrace? You get the idea.

Where I had hoped there would have been a curve ball there was none, that is Roslin's death. That made me very sad, I figured okay if they broke the prophiecies they might as well have gone all the way and give Laura and Bill a chance for a peaceful life they both earned it.

Sharr

16. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, you are off by about 147,000 years.

17. Good

Good Commander Red Shirt

Bits and pieces people, bits and pieces. Obviously colonial culture and religion didn't survive whole cloth, but stories could have. Stories of Hera, queen of the gods. Stories of Apollo the great leader. Stories of places like Caprica, Tauron, etc.

Does it make perfect sense? No, but good enough for TV.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recognize all the logic holes in the finale and the series overall. It's just that at this point, it doesn't bother me overly. After all, what shows are there on TV that can match BSG's imagination and ambition? A few here and there, but none in the space opera genre, that's for sure. I'll miss BSG. :(
    The Internet is the evolutionary end-stage of Brother Cavil. :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I think both DS9 and Babylon 5 matched BSG in imagination and ambition. I don't think they matched it in quality (but thats a different qualifier).

20. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

No, but this shows that All Along the Watchtower is not the only universal abstraction that somehow finds its way into the minds of people. I don't think the Greeks and Romans necessarily received passed-down beliefs, but they were probably in tune to the same thing the Colonials were, whatever that may be. It's an interesting idea, in my opinion. It also makes me re-think the nature of the Hybrids and Anders and what exactly they are experiencing in their state (my best guess is something similar to the Navigators of the Dune saga).