Alternate Endings for BSG (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

First off, I got a kick out of this National Geographic cover...

[​IMG]

Anyway, Ron Moore had other endings in mind for BSG. Here's one...

Read the full article here.

And here's another...
    Read the rest here.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

I kinda always wanted that Macross/Robotech ending where the Galactica ends up crashing down to the planet after all the battle damage it took and is unable to be repaired and take off again and becomes the central location for the start of a new society.

Although the Pyramids nod would have been pretty cool.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

+1

I like the ending we got, but (there's always a but), I would have liked for them to land on Earth but not our Earth with a Macross style end for the Bucket.

Another way I would have went, a sort of a call back to the end of the oringinal BSG, is a cut to the moon-landing and then have them look up to find the wreck of the Galactica on the surface.

Though, I've always been partial to the ideal that she didn't get destroyed that at the last minute Anders flanked her and she's still out in the Ort cloud on what have you waiting for the day she's needed.

What can I say, I'm attached to the ship.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the central america idea especially if they intended her to break up in the atmosphere upon reentry and as it twist, she survived to reach the surface.

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

This isn't the first time RDM has mentioned this alternate ending. In fact, he talked about it quite extensively in the Daybreak podcast, and we discussed it a little over here.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Coffee Chain Vanishes..." :guffaw:

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Sort has a "Noah's Ark was real" vibe to it. It would really hint heavily at that sort of story.

8. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had heard of the Ellen ending before but not the ending with the ship on the surface.
    GallofreyanSith, i really like your idea because Buzz Aldrin had said he saw a UFO while in space.

9. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the thing is, it wouldn't have necessarily had to replace the current ending (with the exception of fleet being crashed instead of flown into the sun). You could have had the NYC scene and then go to a expedition in Peru the archeologist says he found something and we see Galactica's imprint on the screen.

10. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It certainly would have left open some interesting sequel ideas.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Which is probably why they avoided it. I doubt we'll see any true sequels to this version of Battlestar Galactica.

12. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it wouldn't have been as clean as the all this has happened before mantra.

You don't want Earth II to base new technology on Colonial tech when they should come by it on their own naturally (we need FTL drives tho damnit!)

13. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agent Richard, where'd you find that National Geographic cover? It's awesome!

The Galactica crashing would have been neat, but I don't know if I could have handled it. I had a hard enough time watching it first "break its back" (to paraphrase Tigh) then fly into the Sun with that tearful rendition of the original theme. Like TheGallifreyanSith, I'm very attached to that ship.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It was on the same page as the first article. I just thought I'd repost it here.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually from what it sounds like Galactica was supposted to be intact after crashing/landing seeing as the overgrowth mound over it was going to be Galactica shaped.

16. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where is the podcast for this writers retreat that goes into detail about these alternate endings? Didn't Moore say they'd be put up on Sci-fis site?

17. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious what would have happened to the Raptors once they ran out of fuel.

Gallactica crashing on the moon would have been interesting; however, it would have been thoroughly thrashed had she entered Earth's atmosphere and smashed into the surface.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Galactica has the special "main character immmortal" shield. She would have impacted on the Earth's surface, but would have survived to rise again. Of course, with the Cylon Goo inside her (that sounds so dirty) whose to say she wouldn't self-repair over the years.

The only thing we need to make a perfect Macross style Galactica ending is Adama standing on the bridge, with a crew of bridge bunnies as the ship takes one last shot at a Cylon basestar that's crashing towards it.

19. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. After all, after that final jump, Tigh stated that her back was broken, plus the piece and parts that were being blown off from depressurization. Rapid, uncontrolled descent like that would have crushed her upon impact and strewn the wreckage for miles -- maybe even hundreds of miles. She was definitely humongous. I never appreciated her size until I saw the Vipers being launches. That was one huge ship, and no way in hell could she land on a planet.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It's like FTL is the speed of plot, if the producers want her to make it down they would have physics be damned. They wanted to "body" to end the series so they launched her into the sun. The irony being, is that they did leave a big "out" for future projects cause there is "no body" we didn't see her go into the sun exactly, only on a course for the sun. They could handwave her into surviving and make a sequel with Earth II humans finding the ship.