Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 1001001, Mar 14, 2006.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Howdy Brent [​IMG]

_dane

2. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm in my third year at Penn State studying biochemistry and molecular biology. I'm in the honors college, which basically means I have to write a thesis to graduate 'with honors', so I'm working in a lab here and have been since the spring of my freshman year. My work isn't too exciting, since I'm not allowed to work with any radioactivity or live virus.

In addition to classes and lab I play the horn in the school band. I used to be pretty good, but after a year and a half of braces I lost a bit.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'm really a mega-computer attempting to understand human qualities such as mercy and love and shit.

And love science fact when it comes to space and technology.

4. Elmo Dukat

Elmo Dukat Guest

Hey there. I think a lot of people know me, but for all those who aren't regular posters in Misc I'll give a brief descrip:

I'm a second-year grad student in mathematics, looking to eventually apply what I'm learning to mathematical physics, specifically quantum field theory and relativity. Doing a lot of geometry stuff right now, but very interested in algebraic techniques as well.

Hmmm...I B.A.-ed in physics, and have dabbled in sci-fi writing. That's about as science-nerdy as I get. :D

5. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Welcome aboard, folks! :)

6. gschjetne

gschjetne Ensign Newbie

I'm working on a Bachelor in Physics in Sweden, but I'll probably transfer to the University of Alberta in Canada soon. The plan is to eventually do research.

7. Elmo Dukat

Elmo Dukat Guest

^Isn't that always the plan. :lol:

Good luck with it, and welcome, cadet! *salutes* ;)

8. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I've got a Master's degree in astronomy, and I'm currently studying (hard) to get into a PhD program in Observational Cosmology (galaxy surveys and cluster identification algorithm). Wish me good luck!

I'm not very into technology (I like my gadgets but I'm happy with sub par machines al long as they work), but astronomy and astrophysics are my playgrounds.

Nice to meet y'all scientifically inclined trekkers! Ciao!

9. TerriO

Welcome aboard, iguana_tonante. :)

And your sig quote is one I can attest to from experience. My parents currently have 3 green iguanas, as well as a couple of bearded dragons, some leopard geckoes, and other critters I'm forgetting, and we've had iguanas as pets for about 20 years now.

10. iguana_tonante

Thank you very much. :)

Well, to be completely candid, I've never had an iguana as pet. :o

I just use them as an example of my lifestyle of choice: reserved, placid, and peaceful. Days of laziness, laid on a beach watching the waves go back and forth. For me, this is a state to strive for. :D

And they are wonderful animals, too. :)

11. TerriO

^Yup, and if you piss them off, be prepared to get whapped with a tail. Been there, done that, the bigger the iguana, the more it hurts. ;)

12. iguana_tonante

13. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, there is a world outside Misc or the lounge?

Anyway, I am planning to graduate with a masters in Food Science and Technology from the University of Nebraska -- Lincoln. Therefore I am a complete food nerd.

Thesis is on the characterization of lipids from the dried distillers gains of sorghum and their antiproliferatory effects on Caco-2 cells. In short lipid analysis and anti-cancer.

14. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been on this BBS forever, so I guess it's time to say hi. :thumbsup:

I'm a 1st year PhD student working on refined methods for inertial electrostatic confinement fusion.

The dream is to give ITER a run for its money. We'll see. :D

15. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

We like things that make us go

Threads been dead for over a month, needed more cowbell

16. TerriO

But it's pinned, so it's not like it's going to drop off the page if nobody posts for a while. :vulcan:

17. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

What in God's name does that mean? Can you explain to the average layperson what exactly you are doing? Thanks!

18. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I thought it would be fun reference to technology, just came to mind. I'm sorry now

19. TerriO

It's okay, that last sentence about the thread being dead just caught my attention, that's all.

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That's some great technobabble for a ship malfunction...

The transporters are down Captain! The inertial electrostatic confinement fusion sensors are offline!