Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The closest to an existing character from marvel that comes to mind is Cypher from the new mutants. He instantly recognized languages and I think that extended to codes and patterns.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Amadeus Cho.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were in Asgard for a while, the cross X-Men annuals thing, late 80s, and the New Mutants took over Amora The Enchantress' Castle, where Doug ate her library out.

Cypher was a fairy decent magician, becuase his mutant power understood magic like it was his ##### but they never mentioned that corner of his super powers ever again.

I suppose since his girlfriend was SUPERCHRISTIAN (at that point in her development, she was like one of those maniacs who fire bombed abortion clinics.) he must have assumed that being closely associated with Satan might effect his chances of getting laid.

Cypher died a virgin.

(I think Doug is back in the pages of X-Factor these days, but Warlock and Magus certainly are.)

Sterling Archer perjoritively called Cypher "the Gayest X-Man" about 6 weeks ago.

4. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that too. Good to see some other Shield agents acting useful and competent, not just our gang. (I think it was Agent Blake?)

5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooohh things are getting intense now!

I thought they wasted Brad Dourif though, I mean all he did was sit in a chair. He would make such a cool supervillain :(.

I liked the "you can't trust anybody" feeling that's coming through the show now. I loved that x-ray look at Deathlok as well.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Did they go awry? It seemed like they were about to, but we didn't actually see anything happen, so I wasn't sure. BTW, how did the traitor/mole/Clairvoyant know their location? I think I missed that.

Now that's an obscure reference that strikes me as quite plausible. If not exact, perhaps she's related to him in some way. The Asian connection makes it more intriguing than some of the other suggestions (not that, if they borrow from a comicbook character, that person has to be necessarily an Asian character, but it's something that's an added boost to a theory).

The joke was from last season, but you beat me to it:
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpCmbJeFqw[/yt]

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Amadeus Cho is an interesting theory, since they're already using Talbot, and they've mentioned Abomination, and a lot of people are thinking that this is the platform to tell Hulk storylines since they're not gonna do a movie with him.

8. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My take is that if "someone", likely Hand of course, knew where one team was going in order to set up Deathlok and wheelchair guy, then that same "someone" knew where all three teams were going. So all three were "awry." So if all three missions were breached, then a "real" Clairvoyant at one of the other locations would have been spirited out. (Pun intended.) Therefore it should have been instantly, or at least quickly, recognized that this would be a fake Clairvoyant.

In other news, looking back at the episode where they rescued Coulson, May manipulated the situation to get Skye out of the plane so she could play solo agent and find Coulson. We can now presume that Hand was playing the rest of that search so it would go nowhere near Coulson. So I am leaning toward the idea that May was not reporting to Hand; she was reporting to Fury.

This leaves us still wondering who is the traitor on the team. One option is no one; this part of the plot is a red-herring. The other option is Ward, for reasons Coulson stated. May then becomes a deflection for the viewers, and Ward is the villain. A note on that, the strange way Ward was reacting to Skye in the first half.

I give more weight to Coulson's theories in the last half. He is the senior agent and from time to time we have to actually see why he is a senior SHIELD agent. That's not 100%, but I think we're at the point where he can't be completely wrong, or it starts to damage the character.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was heavily implied Ward was the traitor since when the plane veered off course he was the only one not in the hanger. And I too think May is reporting directly to Fury, and the reason she can't say anything is because she knows they're being monitored.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

As opposed to Northstar?!

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And, seriously, JUST TURN THE PLANE! It takes a minute and a shit-ton less fuel and stress than VIFFing a plane that size!

*(Vectoring in Forward Flight - a maneuver used by Harrier jets to outmaneuver conventional fighters in dogfights)

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought that was clever, though -- casting a big-name actor known for his villain roles made for a nice red herring. As soon as we saw and heard him, we knew he had to be the big bad and would surely be around as a major recurring presence. So what happened next -- both Ward's action and Coulson's deduction -- took us totally by surprise.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, awry just means amiss. In one, they went to a prison were no one was there. That's wrong. You can't walk into a prison without being met by somebody, unless something is amiss. In the other, they were getting sent on a detour that was about to slow them down like molasses. When the stakes are that it's critical that no one know that they are coming, lest something happen to prevent them from getting their objective, it should have been highly suspicious that there were things doing just that. In the detour situation, Coulson reacted as if someone was trying to capture them. Even devoid of its context, the prison one especially was so odd as to be suspicious. They pulled out and switched over to the Deathlok mission, so they never got any more evidence on the other two, but as of right then the indications were that something was sending them on wild goose chases, which by themselves should have suggested that the whole plan had been compromised.

Is the real Clairvoyant one of the other two? Possibly. But that, too, is an obvious conclusion.

14. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'm fairly certain May is reporting to Hand, actually. And the last scene was the big red herring; since she was cut off with her communications with May thanks to Simmons pulling the plug, Hand probably assumed May was discovered and captured/eliminated, so she's taking care of business SHIELD style.

It would be nice if it were Fury, of course, but they can't afford to reliably have him play a part in the show. And just constantly using his name and/or pretending to talk to him but never so much as even hearing his voice would get old really, really fast.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

AoS is getting better and better. They linked a good bit to the rest of the series but created more questions. I think May is still on "good" Shield's side and working for Fury. It is neat everyone is keeping secrets from everyone else (including Fitz's "keep it from the rest of the bus")

I also got the feeling they're making room for Triplet to replace Ward or something.

Only May's group went south. Ward's group had suspicious indications (closed prison Shield didn't know was closed) but Coulson's issues could have been coincidental.

16. sojourner

Was TWS clip at the end actually meant to be part of the episode? Putting this episode in context with the film?

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, only the retirement home actually went south. Could have been coincidental means also could have not been coincidental. They're after their nemesis, those were supposedly the three best leads out of 13, and all three turned unfavorable at the very least.

Looking ahead, it seems that they aren't going to get a chance to follow up, even if it does occur to them, because Hand's death order is going to intervene. But I do hope we find out whether all of the potential psychics have been recruited for something.

18. sojourner

I think, since Douriif's character was a decoy, we're back to "psychic powers don't exist" territory.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sort of. As was the bit after the meeting where Sitwell got orders to report to the Triskelion (since he's going to be in the movie). But it was also like the Avengers trailer at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger -- a mix of "continuation of the story" and "trailer for the next movie."

20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kind of like if they Secret Service agents and were referring to the POTUS every few episodes.